Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: New Players Ignoring AL Because Of Leveling Commitments?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

Default New Players Ignoring AL Because Of Leveling Commitments?

I find it hard to get people to start playing AL because of the massive XP amounts needed to level. I think it could easily be made way more ressonable by making every level till cap of last expansion 1k per level (in this case level 46). I know XP is there so that people don't get to end game without knowing anything, but that would still be 45k xp to get to previous cap and to get to 56 now it is over 100k XP. I completely doubt anyone will get to end game and not know anything after grinding almost 200k XP. As for gear yes it does make a bit of a problem for new players leveling in worse gear, but this could easily be fixed by adding more free simi decent gear into the questlines for expansions. For people that have paid plat to level in the past (i have also) sts can maybe give them a few items for their loss (tbh i don't care if they do i am fine with it either way).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Plat to lvl up doesnt boost them to final lvl cap. That's always 5/10 lvls less than the final lvl cap. It is fair in a way that old players are unaffected by it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zeazimeh View Post
    Plat to lvl up doesnt boost them to final lvl cap. That's always 5/10 lvls less than the final lvl cap. It is fair in a way that old players are unaffected by it.
    that is why i said i didn't care if sts did or didn't because i have gotten my use out of it also, but if sts does i think just a extra 7 day elix would be just fine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

If u go hardcore for a few days with elix u'll be 56 in the 4-5 days

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    149 Posts

I think it makes sence but to me that was the fun part to lv up naturally.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts

Oops, i thought this was about PL. AL needs lots of xp? What games are they playing that doesnt require ungodly amount of points to be top 10k?

Star light, star bright...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,353 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by azagreoralu View Post
    I find it hard to get people to start playing AL because of the massive XP amounts needed to level. I think it could easily be made way more ressonable by making every level till cap of last expansion 1k per level (in this case level 46). I know XP is there so that people don't get to end game without knowing anything, but that would still be 45k xp to get to previous cap and to get to 56 now it is over 100k XP. I completely doubt anyone will get to end game and not know anything after grinding almost 200k XP. As for gear yes it does make a bit of a problem for new players leveling in worse gear, but this could easily be fixed by adding more free simi decent gear into the questlines for expansions. For people that have paid plat to level in the past (i have also) sts can maybe give them a few items for their loss (tbh i don't care if they do i am fine with it either way).
    Part of lvling is gaining experience with skills, gears, pets, & over all game mechanics. There is plenty of good legendary gear available thats very affordable. Also there is a 2xs xp week, use that with a 7 day 50% day xp and 60% xp for half hour, then last but not least add the courage adventure pack for a perma 15% xp, you will reach 56 very fast.
    Avy
    12-2012

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Avaree For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

I'm 56 and I don't know snap crackle pop about this game •_•...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Avaree View Post
    Part of lvling is gaining experience with skills, gears, pets, & over all game mechanics. There is plenty of good legendary gear available thats very affordable. Also there is a 2xs xp week, use that with a 7 day 50% day xp and 60% xp for half hour, then last but not least add the courage adventure pack for a perma 15% xp, you will reach 56 very fast.
    Buying XP kits is just fine for long time players (such as you and myself) but the group of players that i am talking about is players that have just joined AL. These players can't really afford to buy XP elix as they have to prioritize getting lepre and gear for leveling. As for Gaining experience from the grind i think that no one will reach 56 without a decent experience level even if it is 1k xp per level till 46. Also saying they should buy the adventure pack presumes they know that they will like it enough to spend the money on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,353 Posts

Buying XP kits is just fine for long time players (such as you and myself) but the group of players that i am talking about is players that have just joined AL. These players can't really afford to buy XP elix as they have to prioritize getting lepre and gear for leveling. As for Gaining experience from the grind i think that no one will reach 56 without a decent experience level even if it is 1k xp per level till 46. Also saying they should buy the adventure pack presumes they know that they will like it enough to spend the money on it.
    When I started playing AL, I received zero hand outs. I didnt buy plat. I earned all my gold from running the same maps over and over again. .... Whats up with all the "i wants and give'me" all the sudden. This is a game. (There are plenty of ways to make gold, from crafting jewels to completing quests. 60% xp kits are 16.4k atm). If your group of players are finding it hard to lvl, express the fact to take advantage of the free double xp week.
    Avy
    12-2012

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Avaree For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Avaree View Post
    When I started playing AL, I received zero hand outs. I didnt buy plat. I earned all my gold from running the same maps over and over again. .... Whats up with all the "i wants and give'me" all the sudden. This is a game. (There are plenty of ways to make gold, from crafting jewels to completing quests. 60% xp kits are 16.4k atm). If your group of players are finding it hard to lvl, express the fact to take advantage of the free double xp week.
    This thread was not about giving hand outs at all. Was just about reducing the amount of xp it takes to start playing the game since with every expansion the bar gets higher and scares off quite a few possible long term players.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts

Um what? Beginning xp is very low. Quests make you level. Getting through brack just once gets you to about level 10. What massive xp at beginning level are you talking about?

Star light, star bright...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fyrce View Post
    Um what? Beginning xp is very low. Quests make you level. Getting through brack just once gets you to about level 10. What massive xp at beginning level are you talking about?
    I am talking about the amount of xp it takes to get all the way from level 1 to previous expansions cap (level 46). Yes the first few levels are extremely fast but XP amounts go up pretty fast after you get out of the first few levels.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,353 Posts

This thread was not about giving hand outs at all. Was just about reducing the amount of xp it takes to start playing the game since with every expansion the bar gets higher and scares off quite a few possible long term players.

Then I read the below opening post totally wrong...........

...As for gear yes it does make a bit of a problem for new players leveling in worse gear, but this could easily be fixed by adding more free simi decent gear into the questlines for expansions. For people that have paid plat to level in the past (i have also) sts can maybe give them a few items for their loss (tbh i don't care if they do i am fine with it either way).
    Last edited by Avaree; 05-19-2016 at 03:51 PM.
    Avy
    12-2012

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Avaree For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I dont think the XP is the problem here. I work two jobs and drive 30 minutes each direction every day to see my girlfriend and I got to 56 in just under two weeks. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

I think the problem is the repetition involved with running the same maps, and having next to no chance of acquiring items of high value. In turn, this creates a HUGE divide between the fancy end game players and those leveling from the start, who begin feel like the only way to get good gear and pets is by spending ridiculous amounts of money on platinum so they can gamble on crates.

And to add to the repetition thats already killing the player's motivation, if they dont spend a dime on platinum, they can expect to attempt free plat offers and acquire as much malware as they do in platinum. They will then use that platinum to buy luck elixirs so they can stay up during those late hours of the night running km3 so they can buy one arcane item a month.

I have a pretty decent stash of gear on my mage probably worth 10m in total with pets included, and I don't have a problem getting a few million gold in a month's time. But I can't imagine what this game is like for the players just now starting out.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts

Honest question: are you new to mmorpgs?

Needing "massive"amounts of experience is not new.

Go play something old school.D2 LoD. Try to cap in that game(made by the most well known company in rpgs).

We are lucky it isn't more experience.

Tips: Don't feed your pet(especially at lower levels).switch between pets. (Saves gold for experience elixirs and such.)

Since your worried about experience,try as you can to run with 3 other people (more experience,better drops.)

Don't be stopping to kill a few enemies and continue to finish maps like that.Every enemy has a leash distance and most are pretty long.So you should be pulling to groups and killing them(faster,easier, just better).

If they are weaker enemies or such you can have your party of 4 (including yourself) run the death train to map finish (you shouldn't have to stop,just run and spam your skills correctly.).

If you do not have a leprechaun amulet then don't bother with bosses unless you want the ap (achievement points).leprechaun amulet will be a must when u can afford (200kish?).

Ask around in towns for the hot spots for each leveling "bracket", as this post has gone on long enough.

I'm just trying to show you its not as daunting as it seems.

Good Luck! Don't be scared!
    Last edited by Eagle Eye229; 05-19-2016 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Couple spelling errors..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    385 Posts

Lmao PL was 300k xp from 76-77, and every elite cap from 56-76 the final level of the cap was 100k xp.
    Ign - Coolguymage

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Befs For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle Eye229 View Post
    Honest question: are you new to mmorpgs?

Needing "massive"amounts of experience is not new.

Go play something old school.D2 LoD. Try to cap in that game(made by the most well known company in rpgs).

We are lucky it isn't more experience.

Tips: Don't feed your pet(especially at lower levels).switch between pets. (Saves gold for experience elixirs and such.)

Since your worried about experience,try as you can to run with 3 other people (more experience,better drops.)

Don't be stopping to kill a few enemies and continue to finish maps like that.Every enemy has a leash distance and most are pretty long.So you should be pulling to groups and killing them(faster,easier, just better).

If they are weaker enemies or such you can have your party of 4 (including yourself) run the death train to map finish (you shouldn't have to stop,just run and spam your skills correctly.).

If you do not have a leprechaun amulet then don't bother with bosses unless you want the ap (achievement points).leprechaun amulet will be a must when u can afford (200kish?).

Ask around in towns for the hot spots for each leveling "bracket", as this post has gone on long enough.

I'm just trying to show you its not as daunting as it seems.

Good Luck! Don't be scared!
    All great tips for new players thank you for posting them. As for myself no i am not new, i have played other games and ya the xp amounts is high on them also just was thinking AL would get more new players with a bit of a easier level to cap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

This has always been a big issue with AL. In STS's previous game, Pocket Legends, this was never an issue because players were always farming older campaigns as there was always good loot to be found in those older levels. The problem with AL is the existence of the elite dungeons. It means that nobody is going to bother farming those old levels, so when someone is trying to level up, it is just really boring. Try joining a regular non-elite dungeon in Dead City, Kraken or Nordr, and you will find nobody there and will have to do your runs alone.

In Pocket Legends, I started playing more than a year and a half after the game launched, during the level 66 cap, and I still had an enjoyable time leveling up for the first 4-5 months I played. When you would join a dungeon, there was usually other players there doing the runs with you. In fact, often times they were higher level and they would lead the way.

It is a big problem when there is no fun to be had until you reach cap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    385 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Energizeric View Post
    This has always been a big issue with AL. In STS's previous game, Pocket Legends, this was never an issue because players were always farming older campaigns as there was always good loot to be found in those older levels. The problem with AL is the existence of the elite dungeons. It means that nobody is going to bother farming those old levels, so when someone is trying to level up, it is just really boring. Try joining a regular non-elite dungeon in Dead City, Kraken or Nordr, and you will find nobody there and will have to do your runs alone.

In Pocket Legends, I started playing more than a year and a half after the game launched, during the level 66 cap, and I still had an enjoyable time leveling up for the first 4-5 months I played. When you would join a dungeon, there was usually other players there doing the runs with you. In fact, often times they were higher level and they would lead the way.

It is a big problem when there is no fun to be had until you reach cap.
    That's very true, I began in the 56 cap, and it's the most fun I've ever had leveling. I actually would get on looking forward to grinding.

Also, PvP was active everywhere (and much better than in AL). It was less gear based, and more skill based, so even a new player could have their share of fun out there.
    Ign - Coolguymage