Thread: Dex Bear trade-off: low damage with high dps, versus higher damage but lower dps

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Dex Bear trade-off: low damage with high dps, versus higher damage but lower dps

My dex Bear (zaghorakis) stats are below. Whenever I hit level 55 I changed from pure str to str/dex, allowing me to retain the best armour, but also enabling me to equip the metallic stiletto of destiny which is a dex weapon with lowish 58-61 damage but high speed 0.4 and dps. I've read the guides on damage and dps, discussing the advance of dps but also bearing in mind that low damage weapons fairs poorly against mob high armours. I was wondering if there is any resource/equations/excel documents etc where I can quantify the differences to make the best, informed equipment decision. Anecdotally, I can see that my stiletto fairs far better than the str weapons against the vast majority of mobs, but I suspect it may be the reverse in pvp and against bosses.

It's a bit frustrating as I can't definitively quantify the difference and find myself continually questioning my build. Help!

Level 55
    Str 173
    Dex 150
    Int 1
    Hit % 98
    Crit 18
    Dodge 21
    Health 686
    Regen 25
    Mana 400
    Regen 5
    Damage 101-104 (level 47 metallic stiletto of destiny http://pocketlegends.wikia.com/wiki/...tto_of_Destiny)
    DPS 257
    Armour 162

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

Noneo built an excellent stat calculator that allows you to input your attribute points and see the various equipment numbers without having to buy them.

Noneo's Calculator here

Do not underestimate the importance of base damage (and the lack thereof on the Stiletto), but it sounds like you are at least aware of that. That speed of 0.4 is shiny, but that base damage is not.

You have to hit the 'Click to edit' button near the top right before entering any numbers.
    Last edited by Moogerfooger; 08-03-2011 at 06:39 PM.
    Moogerfooger - Dex Bird | Moogerfoogerz - Dual Bear |Brutalityz - loser mage

Tournament & Ladder Leader Silentarrow's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

That stilleto gets too much praise for what it is worth. You are doing 101-104 damage which is then subtracted by ~75, which leaves you doing 25 damage per hit. While using a weapon such as a strength level 55 sword you will be doing about 200 damage per hit -75 = 125 damage. Do a critical hit and do 250+ damage. IMO daggers should never be used.

I usually will use my tanking gear for mobs, and if there is another tank I will switch to my dex set once we get to the boss.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As I say, anecdotally the stiletto is quicker. Probably due to my buffs and debuffs, I'd say. I'm pretty sure that in pvp, and especially against the likes of goldfever, king and queen etc it's not doing quite so well. I'll have a look at the above calculator and see if it sheds any light. The temptation is always there to change weapon prior to the big fights!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Silentarrow View Post
    That stilleto gets too much praise for what it is worth. You are doing 101-104 damage which is then subtracted by ~75, which leaves you doing 25 damage per hit. While using a weapon such as a strength level 55 sword you will be doing about 200 damage per hit -75 = 125 damage. Do a critical hit and do 250+ damage. IMO daggers should never be used.

I usually will use my tanking gear for mobs, and if there is another tank I will switch to my dex set once we get to the boss.
    Agreed, much like the Blizzard Worthless Stick of Fate does...high DPS due to the speed but crummy base damage. Sewers enemies actually have roughly 120 armor give or take a few...seeing as you can't do negative damage unbuffed, using a Blizz Stick or a Stiletto it does give you some minor damage.

A lot of dual spec Str/Int bears (myself and Silent apparently, and many others) use a tank set for the mobs, and switch to dex/Bowbear for the bosses via quick loadouts...or some run Bowbear constantly, although a little more challenging to tank with the lower Bowbear armor. Just another idea.
    Moogerfooger - Dex Bird | Moogerfoogerz - Dual Bear |Brutalityz - loser mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

If I remember, there was a post by someone showing the exact effectiveness of DPS and base damage as level increases. It came out as a diminishing increasing curve, if I'm not mistaken.

But yeah, with dex bears, I find DPS more acceptable than with a melee bear. For a melee bear, I'd want the slowest, but highest weapon damage, weapon possible. Even if it had the speed of 5, but the appropriate damage, I'd pick that any day

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ellyidol View Post
    If I remember, there was a post by someone showing the exact effectiveness of DPS and base damage as level increases. It came out as a diminishing increasing curve, if I'm not mistaken.

But yeah, with dex bears, I find DPS more acceptable than with a melee bear. For a melee bear, I'd want the slowest, but highest weapon damage, weapon possible. Even if it had the speed of 5, but the appropriate damage, I'd pick that any day
    Simply, for fighting bosses:
    melee bears should use 2 Handed equips.
    Range bears should use Bows/xbows.

Clearing mobs, use whatever makes you happy.
    DPS is overrated.

Daggers are for people who are afraid of getting aggro from bosses. No offence.
    I actually don't like kimchi.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i think yo may need read Ellyido' s duel bear post , i start duel spec at lv53 , with Mystery set got over 200+ dmg and 300+ dps , but only 13% crit ; my bear hit lv55 few days ago (str 139 / dex 140) ,wear my bird's Customized Recurve set now , here is my state:

Str: 139
    Dex: 182
    Hit% : 130
    Crit% :50
    Dodge: 9
    Heath :670 (27regen)
    mana : 400 (6 regen )
    Dmg: 204 - 249
    DPS: 267
    armor: 87
    (after selfbuff i got 80%crit ; DMG 264 -309 ; DPS 337 .... 37% dodge with Taunt & Evade on )

i always believe Base Damage are the real damage in this game , not like in WOW , in WOW that DPS means Damage per sec in the combat , at most time highest DSP also lead to high damage done , but in PL , Dps is more like a useless # , it only tells you how you can do damage per sec on a 0 armor target , unfortunately in PL all the mobs has armor , high lvl mobs and boss even got higher armor , so the DPS in here is mean absolute nothing ....

for example my Mystery set got more DPS then my Customized Recurve set , but my highest crit hit in mystery set (lv53~55) only about 700+ , only few days in Customized Recurve set i already saw few times crit hit 1500+ on boss ....

with a 100+ base damage weapon in sewer your DPH (damage per hit) on boss mainly shows single digit ,am i right ?

BTW i like kimchi , it's korean pickles right ?
    Last edited by Herozheng; 08-04-2011 at 03:51 PM.
    Mofajingling (lvl56 Cat) <lvl10 Engineer>; Deadorlive (lvl55 Bird) <lvl5 Operative>; Herozheng (lvl55 Bear)<lvl 1 Commando>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    380 Posts

With my bear using hate and gurg hammer I'm only getting 196 dps but damage is 235-310 so I get constant hits of 200+ damage on target. Crits are awesome, with my highest at 740 something but on elixir I get crazy cirts, highest so far was 1738, from a melee bear!!! Lol

Anyway, just goes to show that you should take damage over dps anyday

-------AEO-------

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Don't ever use a stilleto, it has amazing 'dps' but its actual dmg is worthless. At lvl 55 the best 1H is Fortified sword crafted by FF, and the best 2H is actually the lvl 50 Gurgox hammer, because even though it has sloooooow speed, its damage is very high so its REAL damage is a lot more. The Royal sewer gem battle hammer is also a cheaper alternative