Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Guidelines for Future Guardians! Note: This is a personal opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

I agree with Night here. The Devs introduced it, people will want to attain it, sure, that's unavoidable. Personally, I don't understand why any GoA even cares if people are "trying" to get it. Why try to teach people who you fault for their goal (of becoming a Guardian) how to better achieve it?

Isn't the idea of giving people "guidelines" on how to become a guardian self defeating?(and first point says "... if you are exhibiting behavior to try to become one, its unlikely you'll become one...")

Maybe it should go like this: 1. Don't read guidelines on becoming a Guardian
    Duped - Lvl 65 Mage
    Conanursan - Lvl 65 Bear
    Isniped - Lvl 65 Bird

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

@ Duped:
    The problem is motive: People want the GOA status. People want it for their ego.

The original GOAs did what they did because they were passionate: they wrote guides, helped the community without any thought of recognition or gaining a superior status. We now have people who are writing guides and doing other things solely for the purpose of gaining recognition. Many of these guides and posts are not what would regard as high quality. In many cases, people have vented frustration at not getting the GOA status. Once they get their GOA, well, they are probably going to stop. Odds are they won't lose their GOA because you don't lose your GOA for not being active; you lose it if you do something that violates the community spirit or TOS.

Who deserves to become a GOA? That's a very subjective question. I for one, don't agree with all of the devs GOA choices. But I do not feel any jealousy, as I don't aspire to become a GOA.

With too many GOAs and this recent problem, the quality of GOAs begins to dilute.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

@WhoIsThis

The problem with that is, who but them can determine their motives? If they want recognition and the shield and they manage to get it, they had to have done outstanding helpful things with a humble attitude to get it! We shouldn't worry about people's motives here, but rather, about people who ask for it and try to get it in the wrong ways.
    Last edited by Nightarcher; 08-06-2011 at 11:58 PM.
    Gandalf—Level 21 Arcane Legends Sorcerer
    Redeemed—Level 12 Sorcerer twink

Nighttrooper - Level 40 Commando [retired]
    Nightarcher - Level 60 Avian Archer [retired]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Usually, people who have the selfish motives are reasonably obvious.

But it has created a bit of jealousy and some other unintended effects ... people will be resentful that they didn't get the GOA.

I see your point. There's nothing wrong in "wanting" the GOA. The problem is that the act of trying to get it could have undesirable effects. Solutions? Well, it is going to be a problem as long as the GOA exists. That said, I guess there is a point in having a GOA - it does give people something to aspire to, just as seeing your name on say, the leaderboards would too. This is one of those types of problems where there is no easy solution.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

After reading through all of this, I can't even think straight...

My vote as of now is to stop the program right now and leave all the current GoAs as is. If the devs become aware of someone being honestly helpful and all around supportive, induct him/her. But I don't believe that they should induct two, every two weeks. It's just too much. As said earlier, quality, not quantity. Just my thoughts
    You have succeeded in life when all you really want is only what you really need. ~Vernon Howard
    Announcing the Pocket Legend Fan Site!! Become Part of the Phenomenon!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like the metaphor at the end

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I agree with King, devs should stop introducing more GoA's. And Apollo, regarding your point about clones, I know multiple people (who shall remain un named) that did this and became GoA's, which IMO is quite sad really.
    SLUSHIE - PROUD MEMBER OF REVELATION

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts

I think King's got a good idea--freeze it. If we lose GoA's due to attrition or they spend all their time in SL after release or the population of Alterra requires more hands on deck, then start recruiting again.
    Rauen Haikus' dex 60 sammich-maker; Grievousangel Haikus' 58 Mage/Butler, Jeffrey; Diffie Wounded's 55 drink-mixer; Ghazaal Noobmigo's 47 cheerleader. SL: Rauen, 36 Op & Bod's turkey baster; Yosinabe 36 Engi; Chedaka 36 Comm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    315 Posts

This is correct, absolutely nothing wrong in wanting to get a GoA shield.
    It's a goal, in real life people will want to get into a college and face it, they will do community service and study hard ONLY to get into the college. I'm fine with people doing this, as long as getting GoA is not the only reason for doing so.
    Just like getting into a college aiming for it is fine by me.
    However, if they are resentful and angry that they do not get GoA after their efforts, just like those who think they will get into a college they aim for but don't and get mad, this is where it gets annoying.
    I've come across so many people lately after every GoA release saying the same thing, "Please make me GoA, I've done so much!" Yes you have done so much, but honestly, anyone can say that.
    It is what OTHERS think you as.
    This is the community, the shield is called the Community Shield, therefore the community sees what you deserve.
    Announcements of GoAs should be locked right now, to see what the true aims of people were.
    Honestly in my opinion of what a GoA is, is that they just help out enough to be deserved a public announcement on the forums and deserve some respect.
    What people don't understand is that, you don't need to be dubbed as a guardian if you help out.
    Sure, you want one really bad, but honestly, why?
    Do you feel that simply helping out is not enough and you need a fancy vanity to prove it?
    One reason that I see sometimes is newly announced GoAs thanking Developers for the shield.
    Not taking any offense here, but why?
    You're the one who earns it, right? Why thank the Devs?
    Of course it is nice and everything for them to help, but either you have low self-confidence or either you just believe what the Devs say.
    If you think you helped out a lot, then believe it. You don't need to be honored, you simply honor yourself when you help out.
    A final conclusion is that, whatever you do, striving for a goal is always right, but remember whether you reach the end of the path having completed or not completed this goal, you will still have gained many valuable experiences along the walk there that will change you to the good or to the bad whichever way you choose.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

If they didn't thank the devs, it would look ungrateful and snobby. They should thank the devs, just like anyone who wins an award thanks everyone who helped them get there. The GoA status is, after all, an award.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    68 Posts

Im making my competition just for fun:/
    I have no intention of becoming a guardian

Proud Member of AEO (PL) and Sparkling Pwnies (SL)!

I'm enjoying playing classical blues on my double bass
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

So your saying don't be a fake?
    Proud member of COT