Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: DO's and DON'Ts of Star Legends

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bronislav84 View Post
    That might work, but I doubt I will get on the boards unless I go find a good place to get kills that I can solo. I just hate dieing. A lot. Better to just say that if you want no deaths, then be afraid to die, but play smart. And I'll have you know that although I'm a known coward in my guild when it comes do deaths, I just play smart and know when to run so I can avoid them then come back to save the party a walk. People generally don't die in my company, unless it's a situation that forces us to split up away from Empathy range. Otherwise I'm always healing and casting Protection. So I'm insulted, kinda.

In the beta, I had two deaths, both horrible mistakes. First was electrified water, and second was the Commandos at the start of Corp which IIRC got removed now.
    How about if I preface things as: If you know what you're doing, some of these DO's and DON'Ts may not be applicable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

How about:

DON'T wander off from the group, get yourself in trouble, and then coming running back to them with 12 mobs in tow. You're going to die anyway; there's no sense in killing all your teammates too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mycroftxxx View Post
    How about:

DON'T wander off from the group, get yourself in trouble, and then coming running back to them with 12 mobs in tow. You're going to die anyway; there's no sense in killing all your teammates too.
    Oh yeah. I forgot that classic.

Also, don't kite enemies and die next to a busy player.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IBNobody View Post

<snip>

DON'T continue a level while one of your teammates is listed as "BUSY".
    If the teammate is busy, they are likely equipping items or adjusting skills/stats. The end result is that they'll be a more powerful teammate. Plus, you'll be one gun short if you move on without them. This goes doubly true for busy engineers - a busy healer means no heals.

<snip>
    How about...
    Don't just immediately stop once you level so you can adjust your skill and stat points...
    Finishing the current level with one less skill points and 5 less stat points isn't going to make or break anything.
    If it's a major milestone like 20 or 25 and you have all new gear to put on, then *ask* the team to hold up a second while you equip.
    Otherwise it's rude, IMNSHO, to just hold up the team while you adjust 5 stat points and figure out where one skill point is going to go..and *doubly*, no *quadrupally* rude if anyone happens to be using enhancers.

Just my 2 credits...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

adding to the SL list
    Use the SEARCH function or it'll probably be here--> PL stuff or SL stuff >>> I'm 'SRINGY 2' .
    ** Elf/Redbridge - Ursan/Scorpionious - Avian/Bolticus ** Eng/Redbridge - Op/Yoda **
    I am responisble for what I say. I am not responsible for what you understand

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

Also, don't kite enemies and die next to a busy player.
    Why not? It's funny!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    303 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SssoulSsshine:383783

<snip>

DON'T continue a level while one of your teammates is listed as "BUSY".
    If the teammate is busy, they are likely equipping items or adjusting skills/stats. The end result is that they'll be a more powerful teammate. Plus, you'll be one gun short if you move on without them. This goes doubly true for busy engineers - a busy healer means no heals.

<snip>
    How about...
    Don't just immediately stop once you level so you can adjust your skill and stat points...
    Finishing the current level with one less skill points and 5 less stat points isn't going to make or break anything.
    If it's a major milestone like 20 or 25 and you have all new gear to put on, then *ask* the team to hold up a second while you equip.
    Otherwise it's rude, IMNSHO, to just hold up the team while you adjust 5 stat points and figure out where one skill point is going to go..and *doubly*, no *quadrupally* rude if anyone happens to be using enhancers.

Just my 2 credits...
    I thought the guide told us to put all our points into the corresponding category I.e. commando-str, engie-int, operative-dex. That means it won't take too long. Plus if you are about to be a "busy" person just look at the situation and see if it is ok for the group to take a quick 10 second break. And new gear DOES make a big impact. I.e. the new armor giving you over 20 armor is a must. Just a thought. Good guide it is!

Visit the SL Lore thread for more knowledge on the history behind SL! (Click me!)
    Visit the official Infinite Union Website to join the tribe, hang out, or chat in the forums!

8.   This is the last Dev post in this thread.   #28
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,092 Posts

Nice post!

I clicked the Name:  reputation-40b.png
Views: 322
Size:  712 Bytes thumbs up for this one!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

How about if I preface things as: If you know what you're doing, some of these DO's and DON'Ts may not be applicable.
    Good idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroftxxx View Post
    How about:

I've had this happen to me many times, and I've come out on top. Run and shoot, run and shoot. Not only did I not kill anybody when bringing the mobs to them, but by the time I got to them it was more like 5 mobs lol.

AL Kar | PL/SL Karaai | DL/AL Karai | SL Karaii | AL Karwar | PL Squishybirdie | PL Gotnorange

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    95 Posts

I totally agree with "if you ain't dying, you ain't trying", zero-death players are the first to run and leave the group to wipe, zero death players WILL exit the game if there is no other option. I dont like deaths either, but if i gotta tank guardian when my commando goes down, so be it. If i die, so be it. Zero death players who are engi's could have casted that last transference or empathy, but they're too busy turning tail. Zero death commandos will just exit games on you because they have all the aggro and it's pretty impossible to run before you die, which in turn wipes the team more often than not. If i see a player with a zero death record, I'll either leave, or expect the enevitable(sp?). I don't need the extra burden of some who holds back their skills in fear of aggro, or someone who will take off running if the party's health drops below 40%, instead of holding their ground and dying with honor (if thats what it comes to) knowing they did all they could. I don't like having to take into consideration that yes, there is a k/d queen in the ranks, and we have to be extra careful running the level, cuz if they die they'll throw a fit. Everyone can play the game how they want, but the way these players play with a spotless record in an indication that they manipulated the game in their favors to avoid deaths, such as leaving at bosses, never running the harder levels, ditching the team when it gets a little crazy, and so on, and not ever really experiencing the actual game.

A large % of the people with spotless records are guilty of at least one of the things i stated above, the rest of them being solo players who still don't finish the maps. Zero deaths = pretty much useless on a team (when the crap hits the shovel). I mean, ya they're there fighting with you, but only to a certain extent, you know what they're really worried about. My engi has 20 or so deaths and they are my battle scars. I went down learning guardian, I went down trying to rev my team in a huge mob fight, and so on. I'm proud of my deaths because it shows i'm not afraid to play the game to the fullest, and shows I can suffer the occasional wipe every now and then. Like i said, if i see someone with 2k kills, no deaths, I might as well just leave then and there because they aren't gonna be there for you when the going gets rough. I guarantee these guys avoided the levels in delta with the rockfalls like the plague. Lol

My 2 cents.
    Last edited by Ebalere; 08-16-2011 at 04:30 PM.
    Proud Co-Leader of Infinite Union
    Infinite Union forums

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

You're wrong. At least, that isn't how I play. I do everything I can to keep the party up and when I'm running/exiting, it's cause everybody else is dead, all the mobs are on me, and I'm spamming pots like they're going out of style. So think about what you say, please. This isn't how every zero death player is.

AL Kar | PL/SL Karaai | DL/AL Karai | SL Karaii | AL Karwar | PL Squishybirdie | PL Gotnorange

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    95 Posts

Having trouble finding the post Bron, but I clearly remembering you offering help to someone, as long as it isn't a place with one shot kills like, as stated above, the Delta levels where rocks fall. Therefore, you fall into one of the categories that I outlined in my post. I'm speaking from every experience I've had with Zero death players, and I've never played with you, so if you think you don't belong in my generalization, then ignore my post. However, you do belong there, as I've already explained. You can play the game however you want, but I don't see why you'd limit yourself to 75% of the games content in fear of dying.

I don't have to be careful of what I say, because it is my opinion, and if you wish to contest me on this, I'd be glad to do a few guardian runs with you This is in no way a flame post or a troll post, I'm just venting, as I just had a zero death commando leave my game when someone accidentally attracted two vulars in the uncharted ruins, leading to a wipe of the 3 operatives and 1 engi. It ruins the game for the rest of us who aren't so seriously concerned about a digit in a videogame.
    Last edited by Ebalere; 08-16-2011 at 04:49 PM.
    Proud Co-Leader of Infinite Union
    Infinite Union forums

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good tips, honestly im going to try and go with friends since we listen to each other......usually

Also i do think you shouldnt wait for someone busy, what if you have 5 minutes til you have to get off and want to finish, you shouldnt get mad at people for not waiting on your every move, this is my opinion so please dont quote
    Last edited by Uzikrabd; 08-16-2011 at 11:27 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts

Ebalere I get what you are saying but from my perspective I don't believe all players not wanting to die do this.. I am one of them myself and I had 0 then 4 now 8 deaths with 10k kills due to (battle scars) but still play quite careful not to die and im sure alot will vouch for me when I say I am the first in as a com (tanks job) and will try my very best to not die but also help or tank into a bunch of enemies if other players are getting swarmed with vulgar or even guardian sprints im there when the **** hits the fan.. lol so just letn u know that our types are out there as well

Anyways... nice way to vent haha xD

Still trying to comprehend how 2k+ can die from Barrels O.o

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ebalere:384016
    Having trouble finding the post Bron, but I clearly remembering you offering help to someone, as long as it isn't a place with one shot kills like, as stated above, the Delta levels where rocks fall. Therefore, you fall into one of the categories that I outlined in my post. I'm speaking from every experience I've had with Zero death players, and I've never played with you, so if you think you don't belong in my generalization, then ignore my post. However, you do belong there, as I've already explained. You can play the game however you want, but I don't see why you'd limit yourself to 75% of the games content in fear of dying.

I don't have to be careful of what I say, because it is my opinion, and if you wish to contest me on this, I'd be glad to do a few guardian runs with you This is in no way a flame post or a troll post, I'm just venting, as I just had a zero death commando leave my game when someone accidentally attracted two vulars in the uncharted ruins, leading to a wipe of the 3 operatives and 1 engi. It ruins the game for the rest of us who aren't so seriously concerned about a digit in a videogame.
    One shot kills is different though. There's nothing. Just dead. Any death you can delay or avoid, I do it all until I'm the only one left and HAVE to run. I'm also usually the last one standing in Sewers in PL because people are just too reckless and I'm not. I've got like 400 some odd deaths though, hehe. Almost all of them have been one shots, suicide ressing, helping friends, or crit deaths on traps. God I hate that PL traps can crit.

And yea I realize you're not trying to set me off. Hey I went to miner to learn the fight like the day before they wiped the numbers expecting to die. Still didn't but the fight went less than well.

I'll definitely take you up on that offer, just wait until they fix the sound. The majority of the way I play depends on sound. I have quick fingers, but silent Numa just bothers me. I need the sound confirmations to he able to do what I do and walk away from hairy situations without a death.

Oh and I'd prefer to do my learning on an alt but my Engineer is the only one who can access Numa.
    Last edited by bronislav84; 08-16-2011 at 07:36 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't join a game and auto attack the whole game, had several com and eng do this, slows everyone down and if they do get good loot doesn't make some ppl happy

What I would add

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ezarf View Post
    Don't join a game and auto attack the whole game, had several com and eng do this, slows everyone down and if they do get good loot doesn't make some ppl happy

What I would add
    Do you mean that they just attack and not use skills?

NorthEast Ohio on the #1 Trout River next to Lake Erie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I look at quests completed.
    """""""""There's a sucker born every minute" P. T. Barnum"""""""""

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for taking the time and thought on posting this great beginner "walkthrough". Even though I'm a seasoned RPG + MMORPG player, its good to have a refresher.
    Becks/Stull

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great guide! A few I would add:

DO be careful with your knockback skills. DO NOT knock a tough enemy back into another group of enemies. Many team wipes in Numa levels are caused by this. Give somebody the chance to lead it back a little where you can knock it sideways, then you can use the knockback.

DO NOT try to lead the group as an Operative, UNLESS you are willing to keep yourself alive with stims. Otherwise you just waste a lot of the engineer's power when he/she has to revive you constantly.

DO let a teamate die when they are constantly doing things wrong. Better to revive just one than wipe everyone just to save a loose cannon that will die anyway. They will either get the hint, or leave.

DO stay together, even when you think the group is going the wrong way. Some groups skip parts of maps in order to get to the boss more quickly.

DO NOT try to mesmerize a mini-boss. Let someone with higher armor engage that enemy while you and the others get rid of the weaker enemies. Engineers have a skill called Pain that works very well on tough enemies. Use that instead of the mesmerize.
    Raulurfixit (engineer) <Serenity> guild member