Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: DO's and DON'Ts of Star Legends

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ebalere View Post
    I totally agree with "if you ain't dying, you ain't trying", zero-death players are the first to run and leave the group to wipe, zero death players WILL exit the game if there is no other option. I dont like deaths either, but if i gotta tank guardian when my commando goes down, so be it. If i die, so be it. Zero death players who are engi's could have casted that last transference or empathy, but they're too busy turning tail. Zero death commandos will just exit games on you because they have all the aggro and it's pretty impossible to run before you die, which in turn wipes the team more often than not. If i see a player with a zero death record, I'll either leave, or expect the enevitable(sp?). I don't need the extra burden of some who holds back their skills in fear of aggro, or someone who will take off running if the party's health drops below 40%, instead of holding their ground and dying with honor (if thats what it comes to) knowing they did all they could. I don't like having to take into consideration that yes, there is a k/d queen in the ranks, and we have to be extra careful running the level, cuz if they die they'll throw a fit. Everyone can play the game how they want, but the way these players play with a spotless record in an indication that they manipulated the game in their favors to avoid deaths, such as leaving at bosses, never running the harder levels, ditching the team when it gets a little crazy, and so on, and not ever really experiencing the actual game.
    I got zero deaths on 2 of my char and 1 death on the next. This is not how I play, in fact I was told to slow down by several players yesterday. On the downside, my pot/stim consumption is off the scale

Furthermore I think the fact that deaths have no real consequences in the game is a design flaw. Because of this a bunch of players are blindly running around to their deaths completely oblivious of self preservation and proper timing. If anything the lack of "punishment" for deaths encourages carelessness and sloppy game-play.
    Last edited by StompArtist; 08-17-2011 at 07:55 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

I totally agree with "if you ain't dying, you ain't trying.
    I totally disagree

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pios View Post
    You gonna get a big thumbs up from me
    I played star legends on an android once and it is so awesome!!!!!! when it releases for apple probably in 5,000 years when all apple device are gone we can all play it! jk lol... but it is a cool game good job STS!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StompArtist:384614
    I totally agree with "if you ain't dying, you ain't trying", zero-death players are the first to run and leave the group to wipe, zero death players WILL exit the game if there is no other option. I dont like deaths either, but if i gotta tank guardian when my commando goes down, so be it. If i die, so be it. Zero death players who are engi's could have casted that last transference or empathy, but they're too busy turning tail. Zero death commandos will just exit games on you because they have all the aggro and it's pretty impossible to run before you die, which in turn wipes the team more often than not. If i see a player with a zero death record, I'll either leave, or expect the enevitable(sp?). I don't need the extra burden of some who holds back their skills in fear of aggro, or someone who will take off running if the party's health drops below 40%, instead of holding their ground and dying with honor (if thats what it comes to) knowing they did all they could. I don't like having to take into consideration that yes, there is a k/d queen in the ranks, and we have to be extra careful running the level, cuz if they die they'll throw a fit. Everyone can play the game how they want, but the way these players play with a spotless record in an indication that they manipulated the game in their favors to avoid deaths, such as leaving at bosses, never running the harder levels, ditching the team when it gets a little crazy, and so on, and not ever really experiencing the actual game.
    I got zero deaths on 2 of my char and 1 death on the next. This is not how I play, in fact I was told to slow down by several players yesterday. On the downside, my pot/stim consumption is off the scale

Furthermore I think the fact that deaths have no real consequences in the game is a design flaw. Because of this a bunch of players are blindly running around to their deaths completely oblivious of self preservation and proper timing. If anything the lack of "punishment" for deaths encourages carelessness and sloppy game-play.
    I know right? No downsides except a counter hinders the self preservation instinct. I don't like being told just cause I have zero or low deaths that I'm not trying, when it's completely untrue.
    Last edited by bronislav84; 08-17-2011 at 10:32 AM.

AL Kar | PL/SL Karaai | DL/AL Karai | SL Karaii | AL Karwar | PL Squishybirdie | PL Gotnorange

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

A discussion of the ups and downs of a consequence-free death system would make a great feedback post.

May I request that we move that talk to a separate post?

EDIT: Started a topic
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...755#post384755
    Last edited by IBNobody; 08-17-2011 at 10:45 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raulur View Post
    Great guide! A few I would add:

DO be careful with your knockback skills. DO NOT knock a tough enemy back into another group of enemies. Many team wipes in Numa levels are caused by this. Give somebody the chance to lead it back a little where you can knock it sideways, then you can use the knockback.

DO NOT try to lead the group as an Operative, UNLESS you are willing to keep yourself alive with stims. Otherwise you just waste a lot of the engineer's power when he/she has to revive you constantly.

DO let a teamate die when they are constantly doing things wrong. Better to revive just one than wipe everyone just to save a loose cannon that will die anyway. They will either get the hint, or leave.

DO stay together, even when you think the group is going the wrong way. Some groups skip parts of maps in order to get to the boss more quickly.

DO NOT try to mesmerize a mini-boss. Let someone with higher armor engage that enemy while you and the others get rid of the weaker enemies. Engineers have a skill called Pain that works very well on tough enemies. Use that instead of the mesmerize.
    I added all but letting people die and not mezzing boss adds. Thanks!

The foolish may deserve to die, and I may let them, but I rather not add something to the list that doesn't promote teamwork.

I didn't add the mezzing suggestion because I don't understand the situation. Are you saying not to use crowd control on adds and are recommending that someone tank the boss while others clean up?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IBNobody View Post
    teamwork.
    Teamwork

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I added all but letting people die and not mezzing boss adds. Thanks!

The foolish may deserve to die, and I may let them, but I rather not add something to the list that doesn't promote teamwork.

I didn't add the mezzing suggestion because I don't understand the situation. Are you saying not to use crowd control on adds and are recommending that someone tank the boss while others clean up?
    The mez thing is because it auto-changes everyone's target. If you get swarmed by lesser enemies, feel free. The problem is when you are fighting, for instance, a Vular in Numa. Then everone's target auto-changes to one of the enemies in the next group, soon you are fighting 2 Vular at the same time. Some groups can handle it, some cannot.

If your engineer uses pain on the toughest enemy, it will stun them long enough to kill most of the adds. Most commandos and engineers at 25 and above can tank a vular for a few seconds without dying anyway, even longer if someone spams heals.

I guess the point is: DO NOT just spam skills. Know what each one does and when to use it. Using the wrong skill at the wrong time will not make you very many friends.
    Last edited by Raulur; 08-17-2011 at 11:52 PM.
    Raulurfixit (engineer) <Serenity> guild member

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Another one, similar to the last batch you added (and something I mentioned ~6 months ago in my Balefort Sewers guide):

DON'T use push attacks against an enemy while another player is kiting them. You'll likely push the enemy within range to damage the player, and maybe even kill them. This is especially not in your interest if the enemy then turns on you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mycroftxxx View Post
    Another one, similar to the last batch you added (and something I mentioned ~6 months ago in my Balefort Sewers guide):

DON'T use push attacks against an enemy while another player is kiting them. You'll likely push the enemy within range to damage the player, and maybe even kill them. This is especially not in your interest if the enemy then turns on you.
    Good tactical advice. Can you think of anything else from PL that would apply to SL?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Good tactical advice. Can you think of anything else from PL that would apply to SL?
    Well, there is my eternal pet peeve:

DON'T wake up nearby groups of enemies (e.g. using AOEs) when you don't have to. It's almost always better to engage fewer enemies at once.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

I've added combos, and the other suggestions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Very nice thread - appreciate the time and effort that went into it.

Everyone should take notice of this

PL : xBearSpiritx (Lvl 66 Tank Bear) | xPallax (Lvl 60 Pure Int Elf) | xDarkWraithx (Lvl 61 Pure Dex Bird)
    SL: Crusader (Lvl 26 Commando) | Contra (Lvl 26 Operative) | xPallax (Lvl 26 Engineer)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm new to this, so I don't make any claims to greatness. However, that being said, is it too much to ask for people to NOT shoot exploding barrels when their teammates are next to them? It's one thing if you're in a firefight and things are getting crazy, but when we're just walking from point A to point B it's pretty annoying to lose a chunk of my life bar due to trigger happy teammates..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would like to add: "Stay together, or close to the engineer, yes it's his job to heal the group, but it makes his job much more difficult if he has to run back and forth healing people because they are not close to him" or something of that nature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Zero's Dos and don'ts
    Dos
    Buy tons of stims
    Learn to play class
    Save credits to buy stims
    Ask questions
    Don'ts
    Depend on Engineer heals
    Play a commando if your not gonna taunt
    Map hopper(players leave maps when they are about to die)
    Guild hop
    Beg in general chat
    Spam friend requests

ZERO COMMANDO
    Follow me on Twitter @Zero_SLegends

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

These should go without saying, but it appears that some need reminders:

DO NOT boot someone at the boss, unless the person is doing something that is continually causing problems. Try to suggest a better way in that case, boot should be a last resort at a boss. If your pal/roomate/guildie wants in, they can wait for the next run. The people that helped you get there deserve a chance at loot. Don't be rude.

DO make passworded games if you want Guild/friend only games. That way you don't have to boot randoms that join, and they are not upset that you could not password the game.

I'm new to this, so I don't make any claims to greatness. However, that being said, is it too much to ask for people to NOT shoot exploding barrels when their teammates are next to them? It's one thing if you're in a firefight and things are getting crazy, but when we're just walking from point A to point B it's pretty annoying to lose a chunk of my life bar due to trigger happy teammates..
    I'll admit I'm guilty of that, but I'm also the one that dishes out the heal.
    Last edited by Raulur; 09-06-2011 at 01:02 AM. Reason: Added quote and reply
    Raulurfixit (engineer) <Serenity> guild member

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raulur View Post
    These should go without saying, but it appears that some need reminders:

DO NOT boot someone at the boss, unless the person is doing something that is continually causing problems. Try to suggest a better way in that case, boot should be a last resort at a boss. If your pal/roomate/guildie wants in, they can wait for the next run. The people that helped you get there deserve a chance at loot. Don't be rude.

DO make passworded games if you want Guild/friend only games. That way you don't have to boot randoms that join, and they are not upset that you could not password the game.
    Ikr i got booted at guardian and reason was sry need engineer,like ok im op and lowest lvl,i understand but really at the guardian dude

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raulur:405515

I'll admit I'm guilty of that, but I'm also the one that dishes out the heal.
    If you got heals, no harm no foul After a bit more playing I've chalked it up to people digging the pew pew sounds and when there's a lack of a live target your auto target defaults to an exploding barrel or other targetable feature if one is in range. Can't say I blame 'em, everybody loves a little pew pew. That's why we're playing a sci-fi mmo right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

*yawn*