Thread: Should Death have Consequences?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bronislav84 View Post
    I understand what Stomp is saying. Deaths mean zilch to most people, so people have no self preservation instinct beyond just pot spam. Some people don't even do that. You know, there's more than that. You could just, I dunno, run to reset the mobs to try again.

And people say low/zero death players don't try. Some of us try MORE than people who just let their character die instead of attempting to survive to fight again or run and gun (Kiting).

Incentivise self preservation, I say. How about the more kills you get between deaths, the more bonus XP or money you can get? Dieing resets the bonus counter.
    Not directed at you personally, but in general.

You are fooling yourself if you think that this will inspire the general PL player, many many of whom (some very good) are not on the forums or are purely casual players, into some kind of drive to become better players. I'd be willing to bet good money that a much higher percentage will just turn into run-around-and-don't-die-screw-my-runmates or auto-attacking zombies more concerned with not getting aggro or dying in general to preserve their precious k/d ratio (or not to lose gold) than trying to get better. I see it in PUGs all the time as it is now. Sure, some players might strive to get better, but again...bet you way more wouldn't. And it would deter a lot of casual players who nonetheless spend plat. If you think STS, especially in light of recent plat developments over the last few months, will do a single thing to risk discourage the casual player from playing or continuing to play/spend plat, I have an excellent bridge with a waterfront view in the Sahara Desert to sell you especially not just to satisfy an unfortunately small group of hardcore players.

I do kinda like your bonus XP idea though....hadn't ever seen anyone directly mention it that I can remember (although I forget my own phone number sometimes).
    Last edited by Moogerfooger; 08-17-2011 at 07:03 PM.
    Moogerfooger - Dex Bird | Moogerfoogerz - Dual Bear |Brutalityz - loser mage