Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Implant Comparison Guide: Hit vs. Crit vs. Damage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I'm not quite skilled enough to sit and watch crits on Guardian. Usually I'm too busy trying to stay alive, so I'll leave that to the pros. The good thing for the guide is that regardless of how crits are figured, it should be the same across the board regardless of the implant. That is, the proportion of damage outcomes is likely to remain the same.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Physiologic View Post
    If crit is truly independent of enemy armor, then we should expect to see high double digit damage crits at Guardian, anywhere from 60 to 90, but we don't - all damages including crits are single digits.

Edit: ninja'd...
    Yea, that is what I was thinking but wasn't too sure. I am usually busy watching hp bars and whatnot and can't see the damage.

Quote Originally Posted by kamikazees View Post
    I'm not quite skilled enough to sit and watch crits on Guardian. Usually I'm too busy trying to stay alive, so I'll leave that to the pros. The good thing for the guide is that regardless of how crits are figured, it should be the same across the board regardless of the implant. That is, the proportion of damage outcomes is likely to remain the same.
    Not quite. If you are hitting for 5 or 6 and suddenly crit hits in high double digits as physiologic says (say 60), then that would with 3% crit and 78% hit be round 557.7. If with 6% it'd be around 686, where as any +damage implant wouldn't make much of a difference as the armor would eat it up.
    But I am quite sure that crits get reduced by armor so for now for the guardian, your best bet is +hit and a bag of popcorn

Peacemaster 30 engi/Slavery 26 com/Skecor 25 OP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

Commandos: get dodge; it's the best tanking stat.

Operatives: get crit or damage, whichever fits your style best.

Engineers: do whatever you want as long as you remember to heal.

^says it all. ^_^
    Gandalf—Level 21 Arcane Legends Sorcerer
    Redeemed—Level 12 Sorcerer twink

Nighttrooper - Level 40 Commando [retired]
    Nightarcher - Level 60 Avian Archer [retired]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by peacemaster:400163

Not quite. If you are hitting for 5 or 6 and suddenly crit hits in high double digits...
    I thought we had just decided that crits don't do that on him, right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kamikazees View Post
    The good thing for the guide is that regardless of how crits are figured, it should be the same across the board regardless of the implant. That is, the proportion of damage outcomes is likely to remain the same.
    Not exactly. Since the Guardian has enough armor to reduce all regular attacks to single digits (around 8 damage and lower, let's just average it at 6 damage), this will change the proportionality of the implants.

Hit Implant
    If you use a hit% implant and it does exactly what the description says (i.e. offers 5 more hits out of 100), this means out of 100 hits, you will do around 6 * 5 = 30 additional damage thanks to the hit% implant.

Damage Implant
    Now, the damage implant will offer 5 more damage (to a mob with 0 armor), and we know that the armor in SL is different than in PL so I will be using a multiplier instead of a theoretical Guardian armor amount.

I will use a multiplier to find out how much the Guardian's armor affects our damage.

55 damage (an average damage a player "equips")/x (multiplier) = 6 damage (effective damage done on Guardian)

6x = 55; x = 9.16 multiplier

With the addition of the damage implant:

60/9.16 = 6.55 effective average damage. So this adds half a point of damage to every hit on average. This would theoretically add (with consideration to your hit% of 78) .78(100*.55) = 42.9 additional damage per 100 auto attacks (this includes misses, but not dodges).

Crit Implant
    The crit implant adds 3% chance of hitting a crit. We know that armor effects crit (for we do not see any large crit numbers, i.e. 60-100). So the crit added will be a 3% chance of increasing the already reduced damage by a factor of 1.33.

For example, if the average hit is a 6 on guardian, and you hit a crit, the average crit would theoretically be 6*1.33 = 7.98
    take this three times out off 100 attempts, and it adds 1.98*3 = 5.94 damage.

So in conclusion:
    The hit% implant adds (to base damage) 30 damage per 100 hit attempts.
    The damage implant adds (to base damage) 42.9 damage per 100 hit attempts.
    The crit implant adds (to base damage) 5.94 damage per 100 hit attempts.

From your calculations:
    The hit% implant adds (to base damage) 56 damage per 100 hit attempts.
    The damage implant adds (to base damage) 83 damage per 100 hit attempts.
    The crit implant adds (to base damage) 57 damage per 100 hit attempts.

From my calculations, hit% compared to damage is a factor of 1.43.
    From your calculations, hit% compared to damage is a factor of 1.48, which is virtually the same.

However crit compared to the others, in mine and yours differs greatly, so somthing is not correct.

Quote Originally Posted by peacemaster View Post
    ...crit hits in high double digits as physiologic says (say 60...
    Crits do NOT hit in double digits this high (at our current levels) on the Guardian. I have never even seen one in the double digits to be honest, but I suppose the max hit a crit could do is a 12 or 14 if you hit your max damage and it happens to crit. Most of the time though, and crit on Guardian is about 8 - 9 damage.

On another note, we may be able to determine the armor of the guardian using another thread's data collected.

It was discussed in another thread that between 35 and 50 armor reduces the damage by 1 point (average at 42.5 armor to reduce 1 damage).

I am using an average damage of a player at 55 points. This means the guardian must have around 42.5*(55-6) = ~2000 armor? Oy vey.

This actually makes sense when you think about how small our hits are on him, and how long he takes to kill.
    Lol (Star Legends) - Noneo (Pocket Legends)
    Star Legends - Engineer's Survival Guide!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Awesome stuff neo, just one thing, have you done the math for floor()? Most games use floor when it comes to dmg. No idea how SL works yet but would be interesting to see. If not, I'll run the numbers tomorrow and see what that gives.

Also for the crits, I know they don't I was just pointing out that it is not universal no matter how crits are calculated. Call it playing with numbers :-)

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by peacemaster; 09-01-2011 at 03:03 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Awesome stuff neo, just one thing, have you done the math for floor()?
    Floor and rounding are two variables that would really affect damage calculations on Guardian, regardless of the Implant. If neo's assumptions are correct, the Crit Implant is just about worthless because it does less damage on lower AND higher armored mobs. The only reason I can think of using it would be for Mind Wrack, and even then I doubt it would be worth it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Awesome stuff neo, just one thing, have you done the math for floor()?
    No I have not calculated them using floor. However, I am interested to see what you came up with!

Also, Kamikazees, I agree that the crit implant is essentially useless. I could see it being used possibly in PVP where higher hits will be more important, but even then I am not too sure.
    Lol (Star Legends) - Noneo (Pocket Legends)
    Star Legends - Engineer's Survival Guide!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by noneo View Post
    No I have not calculated them using floor. However, I am interested to see what you came up with!

Also, Kamikazees, I agree that the crit implant is essentially useless. I could see it being used possibly in PVP where higher hits will be more important, but even then I am not too sure.
    Sorry, I have been extremely busy the last few days (dissertation due in on tuesday) I will run the numbers on tuesday and see what I get. I'll keep you posted. As for now, yes, the crit implant is mostly useless and is most likely to remain useless if it is not beefed up some more.

For now we do not have any specific numbers, we have a bunch of estimates that we are working with. It will be very interesting to come back to these numbers after the lvl cap gets bumped to higher levels as we will be able to make more accurate predictions about armor and damage. Gah, I need to hand in this dissertation and run more numbers...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the number crunching, but damage is way over rated, I prefer survival; without going into too much detail, the +50 armor implant "Duraskin" is boss.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

You guys didn't take skill damage into effect. Odd thing is when my nebula crits it hits 70 or 71 sometimes but it never dealt over 30 damage on a non crit. The mechs are pretty unknown at the moment