Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Going Postal, About Housing Buffs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts

Default Going Postal, About Housing Buffs

I think devs have made great progress and I think it would be smart to continue to remind players that housing is a work in progress, as are many of the newer elements of the game.

It feels as though everything related to housing is heavily taxed.

Mail is the most exciting development, but there the way it is being implemented puts a heavy damper on the joy. It is very disappointing that having access to mail requires 1) a house in good standing (aka upkeep has been paid) and 2) a "stamp." Devs, why on earth would you want to severely limit access to in-game communication? Would the strain on server resources really be that severe? Forgive my incredulity, but I'm compelled to express it.

Every MMO with PM capability since the dawn of MMOs has allowed players to freely access PMs without costs. This system discourages new players from forming vital relationships which will keep them playing the game. If a player who owns a home is absent from the game and fails to pay upkeep, is there a way to message them? Can we message non-homeowners? This is quite frustrating from a social relationship standpoint, but I realize you are trying to strike a balance with your system needs.

Recommendation: Make mail freely available to all, regardless of home ownership. I'd prefer "stamps" to be discontinued as well, but I think we'd be at least content with a freely available mailbox.

I have previously argued for housing buffs, but I had envisioned that buffs obtained from housing would be temporary (like an elixir) and players would have to take some in-game action to receive them. For example, player takes a nap and receives a health boost for 60 minutes or a player takes a shower and receives a mana boost for 60 minutes. Attaching permanent buffs to housing with the most expensive homes receiving the greatest benefit puts too much pressure on players to purchase the most expensive home. That pressure translates to resentment and anger, even among those who can afford it. The Housing 2.0 guide thread has many examples of that resentment and anger. As implemented, these housing buffs have, unfortunately, reinforced the perception that STS is "greedy" (I vehemently disagree with that perception!).

Recommendation: Remove the permanent buffs attached to the housing type and replace them with temporary buffs attached to obtainable items which require activation.

About whether buffs should apply to PvP... I think the permanent buffs should not apply to PvP. That environment is already emotional and tumultuous, and allowing a progressive buff which heavily favors the already-resented "rich" players is seriously problematic. In many players minds' owning a tavern will now be a prerequisite for being in the exclusive PvP guilds or even playing PvP. Those buffs are also inappropriate for twinks because the lower the level, the greater the disparity between the haves and have-nots. Obviously, this will enflame class resentment.

Recommendation: Disable buffs for PvP. In light of the unnecessary turmoil it will cause, I don't think it's a good idea.

Member Arlorian Realtors Association

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Niixed For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    139 Posts

Lol another thread about the buffs

4.   This is the last Dev post in this thread.   #3
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,037 Posts

Any time power is introduced into a game things get controversial. We're trying to find the right balance between power, vanity, and upkeep with Housing 2.0.

Keeping the conversation consolidated here: http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...sing-2-0-Guide
    | | | |

Need help? Please visit our Support Website at http://support.spacetimestudios.com