Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is the "hardcore level" really hardcore anymore?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Physiologic View Post
    Agreed. All free MMOs turn out like this. Every. Single. One.

And if they don't, the company eventually flops.
    Right now, I just realized that I spend about as much time as a friend of mine does on WoW.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

Lots of good points raised, great discussion, but unfortunately/fortunately people are entitled to play the game the way they want to. As are people allowed to disagree/agree with the way others level. Oh, the joys of the world. What's the worse that could happen? People might start having different opinions for heavens sake, and that would make us all different. Crikey. LOL

Personally I've been playing with Elixirs and probably will do to 60 and then see how it goes. I do agree though running with Elixirs poses little challenge so boredom may kick in choosing this route, unless the only goal your chasing is 60/61, but what do you do when you reach that goal? I plan to run without Elixirs on my other 2 alts but we shall see, that may all change if 'laziness' kicks in.

I reckon this speed levelling poses a larger problem for STS though. Boredom. I've already seen a few people say they are getting bored with PL and I'm wondering whether more content is required. I don't mean new content/maps as has just arrived but more 'meat on the bones', maybe some more quest lines, new things to do in existing content, etc.

OR..... Is there going to be a point when (like with almost every game i've ever played) you will eventually need take a break from the game, as it doesn't hold your attention anymore, and maybe (maybe not) come back. Being a successful game like PL brings all sorts of other problems and raised expectations, and to make things even more complicated every player has vastly different needs and motivations.

I vote leave it as it is...
    Last edited by Redbridge; 09-03-2011 at 04:54 PM.
    Use the SEARCH function or it'll probably be here--> PL stuff or SL stuff >>> I'm 'SRINGY 2' .
    ** Elf/Redbridge - Ursan/Scorpionious - Avian/Bolticus ** Eng/Redbridge - Op/Yoda **
    I am responisble for what I say. I am not responsible for what you understand

Guardian of Alterra Physiologic's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Yes...ultimately, it's the player that chooses to buy elixirs. If you're unhappy with elixirs, find a group of people who will play without elixirs, lock your games, and enjoy the ride!

If you want to drop Plat and do things a bit faster (albeit, a bit more boring too), then find a group of people who will play with elixirs, lock the game, and there you have it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Crimson got thto the point I wanted to. The people who combo pot the whole way will be elite to others. But not you. You dont have to think of them as elite. Prove it to yourself! get to level 61 using little to none combo pots! You will feel elite. Because to yourself, you ARE elite. To others, mabye not so much. But who gives a scimitar about what others think
    ShadowPlat OneMoreDay RegiLess & RegFree
    My Guess: 177

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Register View Post
    But who gives a scimitar about what others think

CLassic!! Im quoting that.

Anyways think of it this way. PL is a Pick up -play a little- put down game. It was ment to be like that from day 1. Now, Even with pots it takes quite a while, making it hard for players that have little time to play. BUt if you have hours a day to play, its a different story. So in a perfect world, those that used say, 30 minutes of XP pots or less would get one elite item, and those that used pots would get a different item. But all in all, as the others said, its about personally knowing you did it without pots.
    RIP Twinktastic

AEO is the way to go~now recruiting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kalielle View Post
    I actually think 4X damage and armor pots are an even bigger problem than XP pots. I'm lucky to have a group of friends who all potted 3 and 4X and invited me to come along when the maps first came out. I bought a plat XP elixir and joined... and I've rarely been so bored in my life. I couldn't wait for my pot to run out so I wouldn't feel guilty about leaving.

The highest level maps available should not feel like running Forest Haven on a level 45, but that's exactly how they feel with people potting. It used to be that people would pot 2X and that felt overpowered but not insanely so. And even those who had lots of money would look twice before potting 3X or even 2X with gold, and the pots wouldn't last forever. Now I've seen a ton of people potting with plat, making themselves 4X more powerful for the entire time they're playing.

You might say, well if you don't like those pots don't use them (and I don't) - but it isn't that simple because this is a multiplayer game, so you can't just ignore what others do. Already I've seen threads of people who are potting plat getting together to form their own "harcore" team... It used to be that the players who were in high demand were those with the best (looted) gear, or who could play well, or who had earned enough gold in the game to pot after months of play. Now the new elite are going to be those who pay plat to pot, because no gear or skill can even come close to matching the advantage of 4X stats. And the new gold pots at 1.5X barely do anything. This game used to pride itself about not selling power, but that's what it's doing now - and such insane power too. It doesn't even feel like a real game anymore once several players in a team pot 3 or 4X. Oh and if you die, just respawn instantly for 1 plat. You might as well sell over your God Mode for a fee.

Most of all I'm dismayed that nobody seems to understand what my problem is. My friends point out that I have enough plat to pot, which is true. I've been conservative with spending plat just because I'm a conservative spender in real life, but if PL forced me to pay the same subscription fee as WoW for instance, I'd gladly pay it and wouldn't complain, because I'd know I'm paying for content. But suppose I potted plat and bought more plat to pot, what do I have to feel proud of? That I'm good at the game after making myself 4X more powerful, resurrecting instantly after deaths, and leveling to some "hardcore" level that it took me a lot less time to reach than it would take some kid who can't afford plat?

But it seems I'm in the minority and most people will gladly pay money for an "I am rich" type of app where you pay money to instantly be labeled leet. I don't blame STS for taking full advantage of it. I just mourn the game I used to know and love, that is no more. I hope that once the next campaign comes out and PL made enough money out of the elixir craze, there will be some rebalancing of the kind of power that's available for plat purchase to make the game feel like a challenge again.
    Kaley, couldn't agree more. I've had that "you've lost that loving feeling" about PL for awhile, but after this update, I just can't stand it. I have used plat, as you, to "keep up", but I feel ugly about it and very guilty if I don't go along with the group. I think this entire update is hardcore, not just level 61. The amount of exp required at each level is ludicrous. It's been pointed out that all MMO's develop into this eventually and I agree, I guess I just hoped PL would be different.

Hope to cya in the game,

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kalielle View Post
    ...... I just mourn the game I used to know and love, that is no more. I hope that once the next campaign comes out and PL made enough money out of the elixir craze, there will be some rebalancing of the kind of power that's available for plat purchase to make the game feel like a challenge again.
    I agree with your whole post, but I also think that they are here to stay. I do miss when there weren't so many plat upgrades... but... things have changed to that direction and that's just how it is.
    Duped - Lvl 65 Mage
    Conanursan - Lvl 65 Bear
    Isniped - Lvl 65 Bird

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Go ahead use elixers just don't demand those who don't that they should pot. That's the only problem I have with elixers. My main problem is I have such a bad connection I can only play in early hours of the morning. Even after new levels etc. I am still bored with PL and SL. Maybe because of my connection but it sure baffles me.

PL Characters Timbabird-55 Oldsillymage-55 SL Character Oldblaster-22
    Timbabird lvl 55 Oldsillymage lvl 50+

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Here's a suggestion to STS, since this game seems to be all about plat now:

Slap some recycled contents together and raise the level cap every few months. Sell 1000 xp for 5 plats. Rake in the profits. While at it, make sure the plat bought gear are overwhelmingly better than looted gear. Rake in even more profits.

Sarcasm aside, I agree with Kalielle that 4x combo elixirs are a bigger issue than xp elixirs. Have you seen the amount of incredibly bad, high level, elixired up, players out there now? Having 4x combo elixirs is simply taking power leveling to another level... Don't need to ask higher level players to help you now; just chug a 4x combo elixir and go at it.

Is anyone interested in a no-elixir guild?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

IMO, there is no hardcore on PL.
    Only some people who have reached level cap in day 1 or 2 are thinking themselves as hardcore.

I'm fine with the way STS makes money because it's free mmo game and buying the elixir is their choice.
    I just can't wait to see people paying a lot of money for elixir all the way to the top when level cap is raised to 90 or even more
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg
    Kids, please.
    Quote Originally Posted by rangepwnsmeel
    I look at people as equals until they give me a reason to frown upon them. Not implying that me, other PL shield winners, or any GOA think themselves to be better then other people.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Really not hard core just how much real life money your willing to spend IMO. Unless done without elixirs then it's truly hardcore!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Announcing the PL Fan-Site ! Click my sig to join!http://becomeelite.forumotion.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayabusaz View Post
    Devs , is there a way to contact you ? Phone number because I want my mom to explain !
    "All this Has happened before...and Shall happen again...So say We All"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    315 Posts

I guess the Developers sort of listened.
    Quoted by asommers:
    We might make a leaderboard for those who achieve the final level without elixirs.

Not exactly what I suggested, but a pretty decent change!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

i bet you'll be the first one on that leaderboard whirlz XD