Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [Elixirs are ruining PL?]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

Default [Elixirs are ruining PL?]

This is a small rant blah blah blah, containing my opinion on elixirs and how they're ruining Pocket Legends.

--

When Elixirs were introduced, they were small boosts (the 1.5x elixirs today) available for gold or a few platinum each. It worked well because you wouldn't suffer much from not using one, and it was a good way to spend extra gold. Gradually, they introduced elixirs with more and more bonuses, and made them Platinum-exclusive. It's a good way for STS to make money, but now with 3x and 4x mixes, we have several huge problems.

1. It has led to PL domination by those who spend lots of Real-world money on the game. Elixirs, mainly mixes with armor/speed/damage boosts are used 24/7 by a HUGE percentage of high levels. Economically, this is a good thing. But in terms of the game? It allows people to "buy their way through the game."

2. Pretty much the inverse of #1; people who don't spend real-world money are at a huge disadvantage, except many in pvp which doesn't matter.

3. As a direct result of #1, the teamwork and skill required to play all the dungeons has decreased astronomically. When's the last time you died with a 4x mix on? Ok, don't answer that; you get the point. PL has lost many of the Dungeon-dynamics strong in AO3 and te Sewers. Plus, tank/crowd-controlling bears are practically useless now!

--

Now, I'm fine with the xp-elixirs. But when you quadruple people's armor and damage, there's a problem. I would personally change the 3x and 4x elixirs to give the same damage/armor/speed/luck as the 2x, which should be the max in my opinion.

Another idea: make the Mount Fang campaign an elixir-free Elite Dungeon. We used to be able to use no pots, so since that changed, just take out elixirs! PL needs more of a challenge.

DISCLAIMER: Neither am I claiming the awesome Devs are being greedy, nor that Elixirs are evil and demonic and must be burned! I simply think the stat-boosting Elixirs need tweaking, adjusting, and balancing.

I may put some of these ideas into a formal suggestion or something, but for now it's just my thoughts and ideas. And I want to know yours too! What is your opinion on it today?

--Night
    Last edited by Nightarcher; 09-09-2011 at 06:27 PM.
    Gandalf—Level 21 Arcane Legends Sorcerer
    Redeemed—Level 12 Sorcerer twink

Nighttrooper - Level 40 Commando [retired]
    Nightarcher - Level 60 Avian Archer [retired]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

The 4X & 3X's XP Gain Make Playing Pointless! I want to get to the highest lv quick aswell but I enjoy playing and take my time.... Every now and then I'll buy the 1.5X for gold and if I really want to wear some gear and have the plat I'll use the 2X for 5mins for 1plat :-) mainly cuz I'm cheap and I love playing thus why I only have one high lv char and two low lv's

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    380 Posts

I think that it's just a phase for now night, as it seems that everyone wants to get to 60/61 as soon as possible

-------AEO-------

Alaska, Left the heat on & melted my Igloo...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Interesting pov. I personally use them when I can. I'm not rich by any means, but love the fact it helps support the future of the game. I'm sure STS does well as a company & have no problem buying Plat when I'm able too. That said, I understand some of where your coming from.

On a x4 I can literally walk through any dungeon. Bosses may take a bit solo but I do feel a bit op lol.

One thing that really gets me is not being on an Elixer & tryn to tank. Anyone using an Elixer does way too much damage to hold Aggro.

As for the Mount Fang, I'm all for it being Elixer free. As is just in Nuris, a non Elixer group really shows who knows there class & who doesn't. A couple runs actually require teamwork. Thing I'm curious about is actually how hard will it be? Is it even gonna be feasible to run not using a x4? Only time will tell.
    Proud Officer of Infinite Union
    Downloads -36 Commando * Http -36 Operative * URL -36 Engineer

ELITE
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    143 Posts

I agree that it's reducing the gameplay, players are indeed buying their way through the game. From the viewpoint of STS it must be the greatest idea since the creation of the game. I walk into games where the entire group (my cheap self excluded) is juiced up on combo elixirs and I'm just trying to keep up. My main issue is that STS removed kill farming to make the leaderboards mean something, but all it seems to mean is players can now buy their way into another niche of the game. I get booted from more games now than ever since I'm not spending my real world money to blaze through the new campaign only to be bored for another 6 months.

So sure I'd love the addition of an elite campaign; much like how Frozen Nightmare used to be with no pots or elixirs (could you use elixirs there, I forget). I'd also even enjoy if the all the elixirs options that were once available via gold to come back. Now I understand that STS has no real reason except the gripes of a few to do either of these, they're making money hand over fist so why change that? Just getting tired of being kicked simply because I refuse to spend my money ona consumable item!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default whoooooaaaaaaaaa!!!!

I cant believe I'm reading this .... night u pot with us on runs too!!! Is it not much quicker and much more fun? Once lvl cap is reached why not pot up and dominate the map ur farming? I work hard for my money and I choose to blow it on plat ...Woot!! Hahahh I know u like plat too. sooooooo.... pot up or shut up... jokes!! See ya in game.....
    Kingatdeath 61

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

+1 on this Night.

IMO, XP is fine to elixir up, if you want to level up faster, nothing wrong. It's the armour, damage, and speed.

As a bear, I need to move faster than the team. If even one bird/Mage pots up, I have to as well. I can't keep up by being slower.

I'm fortunate enough to have the means to allow myself to elixir up a lot, but putting myself in someone else's shoes, I can see the problem.

Pro-elixir though, more $$$ for STS would mean faster development as well?

Maybe it's fine the way it is though, you dont really have to use elixirs.

I don't know, I'm confused D:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

If you feel like it ruins the game for you, simple don't buy them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by darkfussion View Post
    It's not the using of elixirs that ruins the game, IMO. It's the effect of using them and the effect of others using them.

The effect of your team using elixirs and you not using elixirs is not enjoying the game as well. Mainly because they'll be running through the map almost twice as fast as you and all you do is move to follow.

The only real way to avoid this is getting a group of non-elixers which in turn creates that difference between an elixir user and non-elixir user.

ELITE
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    143 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by darkfussion View Post
    It doesn't have to do with me, but the company I keep. If I join a game and everyone is on elixirs then I only have a few options: 1) Try to keep up 2) Purchase an elixir myself 3) Leave the game (voluntarily or involuntarily).

It seems to create a bit of elitism to, imo. I've been laughed at and put down simply because I died, when all I can think is that your stats are boosted x3!

Last edited by Gluttony; 09-09-2011 at 09:47 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Truseeker View Post
    I cant believe I'm reading this .... night u pot with us on runs too!!! Is it not much quicker and much more fun? Once lvl cap is reached why not pot up and dominate the map ur farming? I work hard for my money and I choose to blow it on plat ...Woot!! Hahahh I know u like plat too. sooooooo.... pot up or shut up... jokes!! See ya in game.....
    Kingatdeath 61
    Hehe yes, I do use pots, but only ever 2x 30 min (8 plat) or 1.5x 5 min (7,000 gold). It is quicker, but there's a side-effect.

XP Elixirs - Cut down time needed to level. Yeah it makes it quicker, but you still need skill to kill stuff and take advantage of it.

Damage/Armor/Speed Elixirs - Also make leveling quicker, but drastically reduce the difficulty of all dungeons. A bit isn't bad, but too much is too much.
    Gandalf—Level 21 Arcane Legends Sorcerer
    Redeemed—Level 12 Sorcerer twink

Nighttrooper - Level 40 Commando [retired]
    Nightarcher - Level 60 Avian Archer [retired]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

This argument is as old as elixirs themselves.

I can only agree completely with one point: that it kills teamplay.
    If people want to buy their way, fine. Still takes enough time to make them learn the basics. But the fact is that many of us are inactive because of the tedium of the game, and being able to walk a dungeon is part of that.
    404 - not found ...maybe one day...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts

When I first started potting up (lol) in pl, it was to gain faster xp and just get to 61 before I had to stop to study for mid terms.
    but after a while, I do think it got a little excessive. I agree with El, it does somewhat ruin the fun for the others in the group,
    they get pissed that we elixir users rush forward and kill bosses before they arrive. But then looking at the perspective of elixir users
    they spent real money purchasing elixirs. They'd want to spend every penny worth, if they had to keep pausing to wait for the others,
    that decreases the value of their purchase. and with this new update of elixir stacking....ooh man
    Every mmorpg uses some form of stat boosting item that costs real money. I doubt sts will complain, they get funding for their company,
    customers get stat boosts and quicker lvling. Players who don't buy elixirs don't lose anything, other then super fast xp runs.
    yes it becomes less fun, but they can always enter another run.
    just my 2 cents, k back to revising.
    Hey guys, next time we do a run, no elixirs? .........nah.

EDIT: hm, what if theres some sort of waiting period before someone can use an elixir again?
    then they wont be so tempted to pot up again.

the way to change the world is by doing one act of kindness at a time, care to buy some cookies?

PL: Zaltiar Lvl66| SL: Hellcharger/Alibi Lvl 41Com|Zaltiar Lvl38 Op| Warbringer 38

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

There r group that still run without elixir. Join me anytime for a non elixir run. Cheers!

Btw, i dun oppose elixir!
    "my free give away thread is a flop"
    PL: StupidXStupid/ lvl 66 dual build mage
    SL: Glamiour / lvl 30 pure dex ops - hybernating

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

I've never been a big fan of elixirs. Ever since Nuri's was released, it has really gotten out of hand. Players who would otherwise never be able to survive seem to believe they are "leet" now. Leveling from 55-56 was challenging, fun, and frustrating. When we finally got our crowns of persistence, it was something to be proud of. Now, leveling from 60-61 is just a matter of chasing the potters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The biggest issue is not the use of elixirs or non-use its balance. One very difficult thing is to keep peoples interest, adding new content, while still maintaining balance. If you find your interest in the game diminishing (sorry devs) than the game is getting out of balance. I am finding that the game for me is not keeping my interest even with the new levels and content. I played first day of new level cap for less than an hour and logged in 2 other times and than logged off. After looking around I determined that Nuris was just like oasis and sewers just different look and bosses. Just more dungeons with a different look same concept.

PL Characters Timbabird-55 Oldsillymage-55 SL Character Oldblaster-22
    Timbabird lvl 55 Oldsillymage lvl 50+

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

Good post and points by Night and Gluttony and others on both sides. Before Nuri's I had never used combo elixirs, just the gold xp ones we all used to use. But although I loaded up on the 4x this time around, I agree on the dmg and armor pots. The old 2x armor and dmg were ok, most of us used those too at least once in a while, like on OL runs in AO3, the gold ones. On the flip side, I don't mind supporting the devs with some plat here and there. But like you guys said, it does create problems when people get booted for not having them, or fall behind through no fault of their own and miss out on xp because they are too far away from the leaders killing everything.

Mt Fang with some sort of lowered dmg/armor/combo elixir, nothing above the old 2x would be fun, I'd be down for that...would keep groups together and lower that since of invincibilty (and unfortunately some elitism a few 4x potters seem to have shown) as well. I always tried to hold up slightly if people were in my runs and not speed potted because I wanted everyone to get the xp, but looks like not everyone feels the same way from what Glut and others are saying.
    Moogerfooger - Dex Bird | Moogerfoogerz - Dual Bear |Brutalityz - loser mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts

Mt. Fang with no elixir policy. that would be an awesome challenge.
    I think the problem right now is that since this is a new map, people are trying to get all the new gear etc, get $$ quickly.
    I mean, just look at the prices for glyph auto set. its more than 10mill. the vast majority of people dont even have that much.
    The prices will stabilize back to "normal" what ever it is and players will become less focused on farming with elixirs.
    im sure this elixir phase will not last long

the way to change the world is by doing one act of kindness at a time, care to buy some cookies?

PL: Zaltiar Lvl66| SL: Hellcharger/Alibi Lvl 41Com|Zaltiar Lvl38 Op| Warbringer 38

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gluttony View Post
    It doesn't have to do with me, but the company I keep. If I join a game and everyone is on elixirs then I only have a few options: 1) Try to keep up 2) Purchase an elixir myself 3) Leave the game (voluntarily or involuntarily).

It seems to create a bit of elitism to, imo. I've been laughed at and put down simply because I died, when all I can think is that your stats are boosted x3!

WOW,i'm in your screen shot. Nuri Hallow is actually quite hard without any elixirs. Mobs and some bosses hit very hard and have very high health. Compared to BS, which you can clear any maps within 5mins without any elixirs, you need more time and are more likely to wipe out in NH.
    Everything has two sides, if they ban elixirs and everyone run NH without them, i bet you 10mil they will be flood of posts here complaining make dungeon easier or bring back elixirs lol.
    People always talk about losing challenge,interest,blahblahblah, but how many of you are farming shadow cave V when lvl50 is the cap? Sorry no offence, but that was the hardest dungeon without elixirs in all time, not even NH can compare to it. What i am saying is, it's really hard to make everyone happy.
    Jirouniu lvl61 wierd Bear
    Jirouniuniu lvl61 Dex Bird
    Jiroununu lvl61 dex/int mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

Some good points here. I personally use elixirs (as many of you know). I don't mind buying and using plat. I have a job and family that I support very well and am fortunate enough to have disposable income. I understand people not wanting to use elixirs, and thats cool. I personally have never booted for any other reason than full parties or someone using foul language. Many times I run in parties where i am the only one that pots. I use elixirs because I don't have hours to play. If I'm lucky I get to play an hour a night and alot of that time is chatting (I died so many times last night because of the new guild chat - I Love It) so elixirs help me make it to level cap. I also do alot of soloing, no chance of doing Nuri's Hallows without an elixir.

That being said I know how to play my alts though. I run accross so many players that don't know how to play at all. I understand the value of good bears, birds, and mages in all of their variations. You wanna run with no elixirs add me I will be glad to host some no elixir runs. It would be really fun.
    PL ign: Yvonnel - 66 Enchantress / Yvonnela - 65 Archer / Yvonnelw - 55 Warrior