Thread: Replace CS with an auction system?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Replace CS with an auction system?

The design and functionality of the consignment shop is really sort of clumsy. I mean, yeah, it gets the job done. But there has to be a better way. As it stands, you have to pay to list an item. The more time and the higher the price you list it for, the higher the cost of listing it, which I understand.

The main problem I have is in the guesswork. I have to try and figure out what someone might be willing to pay for an item, then list it for a fixed price (no way to barter on the price) and hope it sells before someone comes along and lists the same item for less. Then having to list it again, paying yet another listing fee, and dropping the price to compete with other people, risking profit.

Why not have an actual auction system where the buyers can bid what they're willing to pay? Charge the usual listing fee. Let the buyers compete over price, not the sellers. The highest bidder wins. The fees can be taken out of the final sale price based on a percentage. And the free market decides and tells you what an item is worth rather than having to guess. It just makes more sense.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I like the idea but instead of changing it they should be like eBay and have an auction and a buy now price.
    First
    Nycfanman-684

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Agreed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Yeah I've seen this done in other mmos and it works really well.
    Grimtigrex - "I like people who take time out of there life to help other people. Thank you!"

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts

Very good idea. But not like ebay. Just a real auction! Devs?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

ELITE
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts

If I'm selling, I'm going to want auction style for the better price on the sale.

If I'm buying, I want the CS style to avoid getting sniped.

I do a lot of both and used to really want auction style. But, I like the current system. I still wish it had some history information still, but overall, I think it works fine the way it is. If you really want to be a seller, you just have to really know your prices. The major aspect of auction style that I don't like is that you have to wait for the auction to end. I like being able to get an item *now*, even if I overpay a little (or a lot). That's probably why, on eBay, I pretty much stick to Buy It Now sales.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixking View Post
    Grrr they answer drews question but not mine! That makes me mad,grrrrrrrrrrrr!
    Quote Originally Posted by Physiologic View Post
    We have leet lv 55-56 players dying at Plasma Pyramid...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengotengo View Post
    It's like someone gave me a bag of M&Ms, but there's a handful of candy-coated rabbit turds in the bag somewhere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

I agree with the add auction to the existing system, train of thought.

I like the current system but would love the option to auction also. I definitely wouldn't want to see the current functionality disappear.

So effectively an auction with reserve and buy it now would fit the bill...
    Use the SEARCH function or it'll probably be here--> PL stuff or SL stuff >>> I'm 'SRINGY 2' .
    ** Elf/Redbridge - Ursan/Scorpionious - Avian/Bolticus ** Eng/Redbridge - Op/Yoda **
    I am responisble for what I say. I am not responsible for what you understand

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

I like the auction system, but like drew said, sometimes I just want to buy stuff straight away.

Maybe an option whether to make a sale auction/consignment?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'm a full NO on the auction. It will just bend towards those who can sit there and snipe the last bid and only benefits those that can/do play 24-7. I've got far better things to do in my life than watch a pixel auction
    HTC Evo - Evo acting up? Check out this post for tips!
    Cidxesyl 56 Pure Mage | Lysdexic 56 Bow Bear | Sixdelyc 21 Junk Mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lysdexic View Post
    I'm a full NO on the auction. It will just bend towards those who can sit there and snipe the last bid and only benefits those that can/do play 24-7. I've got far better things to do in my life than watch a pixel auction
    Really? Like controlling a pixel warrior to kill endless pixel enemies to get some rare pixel items and sell them for pixel gold? All to end up with literally nothing to show for your wasted time and efforts?

There would be a real easy way around the bid sniping problem. Put time limits on bidding. For instance; only being able to bid on the same item once every 5 minutes or so.
    Last edited by Satyr; 09-09-2011 at 02:41 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satyr View Post
    Really? Like controlling a pixel warrior to kill endless pixel enemies to get some rare pixel items and sell them for pixel gold? All to end up with literally nothing to show for your wasted time and efforts?
    You do end up with pixelized awesomeness!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StompArtist View Post
    You do end up with pixelized awesomeness!
    A pixel +1 to you, sir.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satyr View Post

There would be a real easy way around the bid sniping problem. Put time limits on bidding. For instance; only being able to bid on the same item once every 5 minutes or so.
    Yes really. My game time is unwind time and that doesn't equate wasted efforts.

Even time limits do require people to sit and watch the auctions. It truly serves no benefit except to those who play full time. Auctions drive up pricing considerably and ruin it for those who cannot dedicate numerous hours to farming, which gives an extreme advantage to those who can. The CS is more goal driven and helps keep pricing reasonable.

I've played dozens of MMO's and straight buy/sell easily balances faster than auctioning.
    HTC Evo - Evo acting up? Check out this post for tips!
    Cidxesyl 56 Pure Mage | Lysdexic 56 Bow Bear | Sixdelyc 21 Junk Mage

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I support this, and see this as an alternative to the CS. The addition of an auction house will compliment existing trading.

Also, i think with an auction house, a system can be implemented where an option in hosted games allows pinks dropped to the group to automatically be put on auction, with auction proceeds split evenly between all members of the group.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lysdexic View Post
    Yes really. My game time is unwind time and that doesn't equate wasted efforts.

Even time limits do require people to sit and watch the auctions. It truly serves no benefit except to those who play full time. Auctions drive up pricing considerably and ruin it for those who cannot dedicate numerous hours to farming, which gives an extreme advantage to those who can. The CS is more goal driven and helps keep pricing reasonable.

I've played dozens of MMO's and straight buy/sell easily balances faster than auctioning.
    I do understand your point. That is why a flat "buy it now" option should be incorporated. It would allow for the same type of transactions offered by the consignment shop if so desired. I have played a few other MMO's myself over the years and the auction system always seemed to work well in my opinion. Truth be told, neither system is ever 100% perfect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Agreed i hope they implement this in both games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NYCFanMan View Post
    I like the idea but instead of changing it they should be like eBay and have an auction and a buy now price.
    First

Strongly AGREE!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy tan:420266
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCFanMan View Post
    First

Strongly AGREE!!!
    Ditto!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

i think a problem is though that items arent always wanted...some items go through long time periods to sell (aka high priced items) even though they are at market price
    however merchers with a lot of starting capital are favored because they can just low bid on all the items they want

from my experience what people say they will pay is not the market value of an item
    and no a lot of times i dont want to sell my item at all costs, id rather keep it then have someone win an auction that bid for half the price i wanted

what i do think would be a good idea is if you can list items you want to BUY for a given price
    and each listing will cost you money so that people cant just make terrible offers all the time

this would help the people who want money right away, as well as the person who wants a really rare item
    it might not be listed, but if someone has it and they can see what someone will pay for it and if its a good price they might sell
    Last edited by AdinoEznite; 09-19-2011 at 06:58 PM.
    PL - Eznite, Tachmonite, Adullam, Kelach
    SL - Adino