Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips for the new guild leaders.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts

Default Tips for the new guild leaders.

So there are alot of new guilds popping up and with guilds come guild leaders that need to know how to run their guild effectively.

So i thought all the veteran guild leaders out there could help the new ones and post some useful tips on how to run their guild.

My tip: Make a guild forum and have your members fill out and application to join. Also, dont be pushy when recruiting members just let them make the decision by themselves. And dont spam asking people to join your guild.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    95 Posts

Make a list of rules and guidelines to follow, and make it mandatory that new members read and follow them. This prevents begging and such from happening.
    Proud Co-Leader of Infinite Union
    Infinite Union forums

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Personal opinion, quality > quantity. Doesn't have to be skill or anything, just in personal relationships to keep the guild harmonious.

A very tight knit and close guild will yield little to no complications, as opposed to a guild with no sense of family.
    Last edited by Ellyidol; 09-09-2011 at 01:43 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I think one of the biggest things is to be very careful who you make officers in the guild. I know there is a desire for new guilds to recruit and add members quickly. So therefore the position of officer is quickly given to some in an effort to grow the guild. But the power to add people also comes with the power to delete people. Unfortunately, there are some people that seem to get their jollys from messing with peoples guilds. They come in, act all helpful, become officers -- and then delete the guild membership. For those GM's that don't have all their members written down or on the friendlist -- it is nearly impossible to reconstruct the guild as it was. Former members will just see they have been booted from the guild and not know the reason why. Some may then move on and join other guilds.

So be careful who you make officers. It happened it SL and I suspect it will happen here.

Also, if it does happen to your guild -- email support(at)spacetimestudios.com. It is considered Griefing under the TOS and is a bannable offense. But that doesn't mean the Devs can put your guild back together if it does happens. Just there are consequences for the party responsible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Cool tips, guys
    PL - Navygreen
    AL - Viicks (me), Littlesis (my sis)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ellyidol View Post
    Personal opinion, quality > quantity.

I could not agree more!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    561 Posts

Be carful who you promote. Griefers are everywhere. Help each other, sharing is caring
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=54483&dateline=131136  6901
    PL-Ghosts | SL-DL-AL- Ghost | SL-DL-AL-Octavos

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts

Good tips guys keep em' coming!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

It's about the social aspect of the game(s) as much as it is the game itself. Guilds allow people to bond and to play with like minded people at any given time. Our SL guild chat is always active unless only a handful are on and those are grouped so chatting in zone.

Our GuildFather, CappinClutch, always takes time to chat within guild chat and to get to know his famiglia! For that and his vision, patience with a certain mouthy Engineer, and his overall knowledge of the members, the game and the roles the classes play.. He has my loyalty, thick and thin.
    -- Act and you will have dinner, do nothing and you will BE dinner - Gowron, Klingon High Council--

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts

Always keep guild chat active. A quiet guild seems like an impersonal/dead guild. You'll be surprised how far conversation gwts you with members.

Am I a mouthy Engineer?

Let's make it SPARKLE!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by morfic:409895
    Always keep guild chat active. A quiet guild seems like an impersonal/dead guild. You'll be surprised how far conversation gwts you with members.

Am I a mouthy Engineer?
    Well, I can only speak for myself, it's a gift, and a curse lol :-)
    -- Act and you will have dinner, do nothing and you will BE dinner - Gowron, Klingon High Council--

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    561 Posts

Ahh got another, in guild, warn when devs come online....they might be givin stuff lol
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=54483&dateline=131136  6901
    PL-Ghosts | SL-DL-AL- Ghost | SL-DL-AL-Octavos

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Cascade View Post
    So there are alot of new guilds popping up and with guilds come guild leaders that need to know how to run their guild effectively.

So i thought all the veteran guild leaders out there could help the new ones and post some useful tips on how to run their guild.

My tip: Make a guild forum and have your members fill out and application to join. Also, dont be pushy when recruiting members just let them make the decision by themselves. And dont spam asking people to join your guild.
    Hi I'm officer in Gangstars guild my cousin is Guild Master,because he does not know much about forums i would like to ask you wich is the best page to make a guild forum???
    Midenistis L61 Mage - Mhdenistis L65 Mage (Abandoned) Anonymousgr L55 Dex Bird(Spare me a custom set) Anyone Has A Dummy I Can Kill For Kills

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have just started a guild called odd squad battalion, and yes it is an odd name, lol. I am completely new to it. I would love it if someone could tell me which is the best page to make a guild forum, also. Please dont think i am advertising, I just wanted to add some humor in my post (what is posted after the guild name). Get it? Its a pun and lame joke ;D. Also, how would the best way to recruit people be? I add people who seem like fun and who i have played with at least once before I ask if they are interested in joining a guild. Is there some subtle way to ask that doesnt seem like spamming or saying "hey, wanna join my guild?" because it seems like you might put pressure on the ppl u ask ... (or it could just be me)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts

Dont be a pushover GM, its okay to be the funloving-joking around guy/girl but in the end you are the GM and if someone breaks any guild/ToS rule you should be swift to correct that person so others know that kind of behavior is unacceptable.

Be respectful of everyone at all times. Even if someone is a complete jerk and is trashing your guild and/or its members dont fly off the handle and start raging all over the place, keep yourself calm and composed, at the end of the arguement this will leave you looking like the bigger person and you will gain respect for yourself and your guild.

When people in your guild achieve something they think is cool (ex. capped character, a good drop, finishing a set, etc.) be sure to congratulate them. Even though you may not care all that much, crushing their happy feeling would just hurt them and make them question whether you rlly even care about your members.

I might think of some more in a little bit, if i do i'll edit this post.

"Annie are you okay? Are you okay? Are you okay Annie?" - The King of Pop, Michael Jackson
    Down With the Rep

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

And also dont spawn!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

spawn on spam? just makin sure
    PL - Navygreen
    AL - Viicks (me), Littlesis (my sis)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Doubletime View Post
    I think one of the biggest things is to be very careful who you make officers in the guild.
    +1000.

I was really amazed that in the very short time our <No Guild> guild existed, we've already had 2 members who started begging to be made officer as soon as they joined. I can only imagine they're very young children because I can't figure what else would posses someone to behave so absurdly. When I messaged one of them with "sorry, we are not adding officers" he said in guild chat "If I can't be an officer I'm leaving this guild". I said "goodbye" and immediately removed him from the guild - which was followed by "lol" from several other members... You shouldn't be afraid to do the same thing if such people join your guild. You don't want their kind around, and certainly not as officers.
    Kalielle - level 56 mage | Kaley - level 55 roundup bear | Clusterstorm - level 55 rush paladin
    Quote Originally Posted by noobmigo View Post
    Clusterstorm? Pshh, he merely leads the fastest games ever.
    Pocket Legends Video Tutorial

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts

Yeah, i saw someone in the Numa Prime towne saying Can i join a guild? I will only join if i can be an officer! I was like what? Being an officer is something you have to EARN.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice thread really helpful