Thread: Advice for an SL Engineer expert but PL mage noob?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Advice for an SL Engineer expert but PL mage noob?

I have a level 26 Engineer in SL (and a 25 commando and 25 operative). I feel I know the Engineer class very well, and am active on the SL boards with my builds and advice.

Looking for a bit of a shortcut to knowledge here in PL, now that we have guilds and I'm here with my guild. Really appreciate any advice you can offer.

So the bottom line is that I love the Engineer class, like the Operative class, and am "meh" about the Commando class. I play my Engineer for team support, but of course SL you can be a support (heals and buffs) engy and also do pretty wicked AOE damage against mobs with maxed Transferrence. However, Engy in SL is very straightforward: you want pure INT, as much Dodge as you can muster, and the highest base damage weapon to give your heals and damage skills as much zing as possible. This means using rifles instead of the class-specific engineer gloves.

I should also point out that I'm only interested in PvE. So please advise with that in mind. PUGs for the lower/mid levels while catching up with my high-level guildies, then probably nothing but guild exp and farming groups as I approach the higher levels.

What I'm confused about re PL mage is the choice between pure INT mage and "pally" (STR/INT) or "hybrid" (DEX/INT). Given what I've said I like about the SL Engineer class and the way I like to play it (and hopefully based on your own knowledge of both SL and PL and the difference/similarities), can you recommend which mage approach I might enjoy best? And then can you supplement that with a typical mid-level skill build and end-game skill build? Finally, wand and shield or staff; which is best once you get to level 20 and have the choice, given the mage type you recommend.

Thanks in advance for your advice!
    Last edited by shannong; 09-09-2011 at 02:07 PM.
    SL: Katsumi/Katsumii/Katsumiii | Knights of Cydonia
    PL: Ohanadesu | Knights of Cydonia

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

My 48 Mage is Int/Dex/STR, evenly distributed as follows, 5 points per ding, 3 to INT, 1 DEX, 1 STR, alternated every 3rd ding with 4 INT, 1 DEX then 5 INT the next third ding. She could take some damage while dealing exquisite damage and sweet heals or Rev's if necessary. The mmorpg I used to play, Dexterity was important for damage mitigation, seems to have held true in Pocket Legends, for me anyway.

That's just sharing what I did with my Mage. Not saying it's the perfect set up, but served me well.

As for gear, I always went for lowest delay in damage dealing higher more frequent pops. Robes and such used to build up stats, I usually farmed or bought pink. The dropped gear in some zones is excellent, the Sand Caves being one coming up soon for you.
    -- Act and you will have dinner, do nothing and you will BE dinner - Gowron, Klingon High Council--

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shannong View Post
    I have a level 26 Engineer in SL (and a 25 commando and 25 operative). I feel I know the Engineer class very well, and am active on the SL boards with my builds and advice.

Looking for a bit of a shortcut to knowledge here in PL, now that we have guilds and I'm here with my guild. Really appreciate any advice you can offer.

So the bottom line is that I love the Engineer class, like the Operative class, and am "meh" about the Commando class. I play my Engineer for team support, but of course SL you can be a support (heals and buffs) engy and also do pretty wicked AOE damage against mobs with maxed Transferrence. However, Engy in SL is very straightforward: you want pure INT, as much Dodge as you can muster, and the highest base damage weapon to give your heals and damage skills as much zing as possible. This means using rifles instead of the class-specific engineer gloves.

I should also point out that I'm only interested in PvE. So please advise with that in mind. PUGs for the lower/mid levels while catching up with my high-level guildies, then probably nothing but guild exp and farming groups as I approach the higher levels.

What I'm confused about re PL mage is the choice between pure INT mage and "pally" (STR/INT) or "hybrid" (DEX/INT). Given what I've said I like about the SL Engineer class and the way I like to play it (and hopefully based on your own knowledge of both SL and PL and the difference/similarities), can you recommend which mage approach I might enjoy best? And then can you supplement that with a typical mid-level skill build and end-game skill build? Finally, wand and shield or staff; which is best once you get to level 20 and have the choice, given the mage type you recommend.

Thanks in advance for your advice!
    Careful about being a "pally" as you described. Int/str has almost no hit%, making it low damage, questionable armor, and bad skill damage. Best pally set up for stats is: Lowest strength for gear being used, 11 int for an extra regen point, and rest into dex for hit % and damage.
    Be full int for PvE (at first), and use legendary (pink) wands only. Buy one of the crafted robes (best is probably alchemist) at the highest you can afford. I'd recommend putting in at least 67 dex by level 35, and use a dex tanking ring with regen. Wait until 30 to spend money on gear, if you run win guild mates only. With an exception to using crystal gear (int) if you can buy it without needing to spend all you have. Don't use staves until level 41, if you can't buy a voodoo wand. If you buy a voodoo wand, keep with that and an eye until 50. At level 20, you might consider buying platinum gear.. If you can.

Hope this helped! If you want to ask more questions, add any character I have listed in my sig. I'm usually on Zapoke. If you catch me bored, I'll help level if you want.