Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Can your Tegra 2 handle SL?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Well I know my Samsung could barely handle DD online with graphics way low. Today i've been playing online with graphics on full high with my bionic with no lag what so ever. i know it's two seperate games but still though...I dont think it has anything to do with the hardware of the phone. It's in the game code...Im almost certain.

I just went to play SL again, and it said it wasnt installed..I just installed it again yesterday...well during reinstall I get an insufficient memory error yet again...knowing dang good and well i have PLENTY of memory on my phone....wth?
    http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/3386/apocr.jpg

Gears of War Officer - Apoc/Apocx/Budlight

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

@Apoceq:

What Samsung phone are you using? I myself am using a variant of the Galaxy S.

The fact that you have an OMAP, the OMAP 4430 and that other Tegra 2 phones heavily suggests that this problem, as I speculated earlier, is a Motorola problem.

I don't know, but the pixelated appearance could be due to the pentile displays. All 960x540 displays by Motorola are pentile, and the implementation is significantly worse than the Samsung Amoleds.

http://www.extremetech.com/mobile/95...d-other-phones

I think you mentioned you could consider returning the phone within the 30 day window? I don't know if smooth PL or SL operations are that important to you, but it is an option that is worth serious consideration if you can.

For now I recommend that, anybody else reading this should, if they play STS games a lot, consider alternatives to the newest generation of Motorola phones. Given that we have seen performance issues on multiple devices with no indication that the problem can be fixed nor any understanding of the nature of what causes it, getting a Motorola to play PL or SL for now would be ... inadvisable.

@kamikazees

Cyanogenmod is based off AOSP. None of that MotoBlur stuff, which I must emphasize again has been so poorly implemented that it takes away from the experience. I note that in the XDA forums, there is an official update that is capable of bricking your phone, which is quite uncommon (there was an instance of this happening with the global i9000 and one of the HTCs; can't recall which). Unrelated, but I recommend that you try Launcher Pro or GO Launcher.

There is no way to update the drivers because Motorola hasn't released any new ones. Remember, all custom ROMs are based off of the source that Motorola has (including AOSP ones). Please do remember that I am purely speculating off of what I have been told and it's entirely possible that I am completely wrong about what the nature of the problem is. However, theoretically, both PL and SL should be able to run flawlessly given the hardware on both Motorola phones. Because I have so limited information, I hypothesized earlier that it may be beyond STS. Alternatively, a fix could be viable from STS. I don't have enough information.

Another alternative explanation that I do speculate is that Motorola may have deviated from the AOSP code to the point where things like this happen. For the most part, the Apple fanboy posts about "fragmentation" are largely posts by ignorant fanboys seeking to justify their purchase and to flame others into thinking that their phones are superior, but this may be one of the few cases where "fragmentation" coul have been the cause. Once again, this is speculation and should not be taken at face value. In order for this to be proven or disproven, somebody with significant technical expertise in Android ROM coding would have to take a look at the full source code and compare.

Finally, the Galaxy S2 has been known to crash Pocket Legends, but it is super smooth when it works and is reportedly fixable with a custom ROM. STS claims that they will be working on this one. This is a crash, not a performance hit and is probably unrelated.
    Last edited by WhoIsThis; 09-14-2011 at 03:18 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Other than all of this, I lack the expertise and experience with Motorola phones to be able to draw any other conclusions. I think that somebody with more expertise than I will have to step in.

For anybody interested though (and this is strictly based off of my experiences; a troll will no doubt rip all of this apart):

Motorola Android Phones:
    Pros
    + Screens appear to be well calibrated in terms of color accuracy (at least on the older models; I haven't checked the latest models)
    + Battery life is generally superior to other Android manufacturers
    + Sound on some models is generally better than competitors (speakers are anyways for a cell phone)

Neutral
    Build quality (sucks on some models, decent on others)
    When bootloader is unlocked, there is usually plenty of development (or should I say if)
    Decent signal reception appears to be one of the best (except on buggy phones); usually RIM and Nokia phones are top here

Cons
    - Software appears to be poorly coded; often phones seem slower than last generation's hardware despite having a better CPU
    - Bootloader locked (very hostile to modders and amplifies the first con)
    - Unrelated somewhat; but the Xoom is probably the worst of the tablets made by major Android manufacturers software wise
    - Generally don't have the fastest hardware
    - Latest generation of phones have qHD pentile screens that for text viewing, quite frankly, suck (not great for outdoors either)
    - Bad cameras on phones (in general)

And last, but not least

- Does not run PL or SL well it would seem

Anybody wishing to purchase a Motorola phone needs to weigh these advantages and disadvantages carefully.
    Last edited by WhoIsThis; 09-14-2011 at 03:40 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I just know that Dungeon defenders looks PERFECT on the Bionic....even better than my Samsung Fascinate...Why would PL look WORSE on my bionic than it did on my fascinate?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

DROID x2, stock android 2.3.3

Disabled GPS and all background location, uninstalled all bloatware that was not locked, moved all movable files to SD:

Latest PL build runs beautifully, SL still lags in Numa and any large fights, multiple engineers make it worse for some reason, must be effects.
    Growwle - My guess is 1050

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WhoIsThis View Post
    There is no way to update the drivers because Motorola hasn't released any new ones...
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoIsThis View Post
    For now I recommend that, anybody else reading this should, if they play STS games a lot, consider alternatives to the newest generation of Motorola phones. Given that we have seen performance issues on multiple devices with no indication that the problem can be fixed nor any understanding of the nature of what causes it, getting a Motorola to play PL or SL for now would be ... inadvisable.
    Darn. A little part of my is crying inside because I am out of ideas.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Growwle View Post
    DROID x2, stock android 2.3.3

Disabled GPS and all background location, uninstalled all bloatware that was not locked, moved all movable files to SD:

Latest PL build runs beautifully, SL still lags in Numa and any large fights, multiple engineers make it worse for some reason, must be effects.
    Interesting. So certain Motorola phones are fine.

Quote Originally Posted by kamikazees View Post
    Darn. A little part of my is crying inside because I am out of ideas.
    Basically, unless Motorola improves their software (or unless the problem can be fixed by STS), you're stuck.

When did this start happening? Was it always like this?
    Last edited by WhoIsThis; 09-14-2011 at 04:56 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Latest SL patch seems to have fixed the problem, no frame rate loss in Slouch O on x2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Serious, try disabling email push, gps and all background silliness to free up cpu time, also get a class 6 SD card and move everything you can out of memory to SD, helps some.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

@Growwle
    Judging by the posts above, it seems that kamikazees has already tried that, along with a fresh install of the majority of ROMs (the only thing not attempted is a class 6 microSD and I doubtful that it is the problem as I use a class 2 without issues). Either way, it would appear that the Droid X2 is unaffected, assuming Growwle's phone is representative of others.

@kamikazees

After looking at XDA's site, I must conclude that compared to other phones, the choices of ROMs is a bit more limited. This may have been because of Motorola's bootloader choices.

I gotta say, I'm out of ideas here. I don't even know what the problem is. We can conclude that some Motorola phones are affected and that nothing that we can do appears to rectify the problem.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

SL runs just a tad bit better in sloucho than PL does in Nuris...but not much. It's pretty unbearable when all the spell effects kick in, especially with Combos and what not...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Serious, try disabling email push, gps and all background silliness to free up cpu time, also get a class 6 SD card and move everything you can out of memory to SD, helps some.
    Thanks, Growwle, I've tried all that and I do own a class 6 SD card.

Quote Originally Posted by apoceq View Post
    SL runs just a tad bit better in sloucho than PL does in Nuris...but not much.
    The areas with less and/or smaller enemies do run better; oh, and if no one casts anything.

@WhoIsThis

These issues have been ongoing since I first played, when open Beta went to Android. IIRC there were a few days between some updates when it ran smoothly right before general release, but sadly, those did not last.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by apoceq:417262
    SL runs just a tad bit better in sloucho than PL does in Nuris...but not much. It's pretty unbearable when all the spell effects kick in, especially with Combos and what not...
    I personally believe that the combos and enhanced spell effects that were introduced before Numa really made this problem more noticeable. I see that since the last patch the combo and spell effects don't seem to be displayed as long and that may be the reason for the improvement.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

TTT, devs could we at least get the ability to remove spell effects? =/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Ping was horribly spiky today over 3G. Still playing with same settings I had yesterday when it was running beautifully, probably my carrier, but websites load nice and fast still (to be fair they are cached).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I actually use a Class 10 micro SD card...Not the one that came with the phone, No background data...and over 500 MB FREE memory upon startup...The game is barely playable with more than one engineer in the group. All the AE spells and what not turn it into a slide show.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

I spoke too soon saying that my graphics problems were solved. Last night I ran the third map in Slouch O with a full group and the graphics got choppy when the combos were flying. The spell effects seem to be bringing the Tegra 2 to it's knees. I theorize (Devs correct me if I am wrong) that the Legends game engines do not support parallel processing and only use one of the Tegra's cores. I need to check the white papers for the Tegra 2, but most likely, each of the cores only have access to half of the total VRAM / cache available, where the single core ARM chips in other phones have access to much more video RAM. If this is the case, then this problem may only be fixed by buying lots of stims and soloing

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Can we at least get a response from the Devs on this? Sam posted in my other thread about my issues in PL but that's it. I'm not the only one with this problem and with more Dual Core processors hitting the market every week this is going to be a MAJOR issue!
    Last edited by apoceq; 09-16-2011 at 11:13 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Yeah, I hope that this is something that can be patched, since I got this phone based on the promise of great performance and so far, I am a bit underwhelmed and starting to regret not getting the iPhone 4 instead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I will never own a I-phone, I dont care how bad my motorola is