Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Can your Tegra 2 handle SL?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Thanks for the flash idea, but it had no effect for me. I went ahead and uninstalled flash altogether, and rebooted the phone. no difference.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kamikazees:430092
    Thanks for the flash idea, but it had no effect for me. I went ahead and uninstalled flash altogether, and rebooted the phone. no difference.
    Yeah, I still get lag once in a while, some of it is my carrier, because I get less lag in some cities than others. The flash thing is right about the heat though, my phone runs noticeably cooler even when gaming. I am still going with an HTC when it is upgrade time.
    Growwle - My guess is 1050

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Growwle View Post
    Interesting, this supports my theory that SL is only using the assets from one core, which is essentially less "powerful" than a single core phone such as a DROID 2 or HTC Thunderbolt. Lol, I got conned by slick marketing when I bought my x2, I thought dual cores would mean that apps could support multithreading, but if one core is constantly relegated to background tasks, that is kind of a waste.
    That is incorrect. A single core of an Nvidia Tegra 2 series CPU should be able to outperform a similarly clocked A8 by about 30% due to the out of order (versus in order) instructions of the A9 CPUs. The dual cores theoretically at least should have around 2.5-3x the power of the single cores, but currently Android can't take advantage of dual cores. Supposed to come with Ice Cream.

Flash will probably not have an effect (or at least one that is appreciable) for SL. It may however increase the speed of web browsing. At least, it should not if the phone was coded reasonably well. I'm not sure how much resources flash takes, but it shouldn't be excessive. You can use a take killer and kill pretty much everything except the core components, but judging by what people are saying here, it will probably not make an appreciable difference.
    Last edited by WhoIsThis; 09-28-2011 at 06:40 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WhoIsThis:430201
    That is incorrect. A single core of an Nvidia Tegra 2 series CPU should be able to outperform a similarly clocked A8 by about 30% due to the out of order (versus in order) instructions of the A9 CPUs. The dual cores theoretically at least should have around 2.5-3x the power of the single cores, but currently Android can't take advantage of dual cores. Supposed to come with Ice Cream.

Flash will probably not have an effect (or at least one that is appreciable) for SL. It may however increase the speed of web browsing. At least, it should not if the phone was coded reasonably well. I'm not sure how much resources flash takes, but it shouldn't be excessive. You can use a take killer and kill pretty much everything except the core components, but judging by what people are saying here, it will probably not make an appreciable difference.
    Well, whether it is the hardware, firmware or software, we are at the mercy of the coders.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

your problem usually lies with the overlay that samsung put on there on top of the android os. if you haven't already, I would root your phone put in a customer kernal and rom. See if this helps any.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Growwle:430213
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoIsThis:430201

Well, whether it is the hardware, firmware or software, we are at the mercy of the coders.

And unfortunately Ill have to agree with you Growwle lol. One thing I haven't asked is have you guys who own a Motorola phone with the Tegra 2 have your phone rooted? And if so, if you put a custom kernal and rom?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

And unfortunately Ill have to agree with you Growwle lol. One thing I haven't asked is have you guys who own a Motorola phone with the Tegra 2 have your phone rooted? And if so, if you put a custom kernal and rom?
    I believe a few of the posters have rooted their phones. I personally haven't because I have read that Gingerbreak messes with the alarm and I rely on that too much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nickle182 View Post
    To begin with, you have clearly not read this thread or you would have already known the answer.

The second is, on what premise do you your agreement with Growwle on? Here is the formal whitepaper for the ARM Cortex A9 series:
    http://www.arm.com/files/pdf/ARMCortexA-9Processors.pdf

And here are the specifications for the Tegra 2 series:
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/tegra-2.html

Finally, here are the benchmarks for the LG Optimus 2X, which has the same Tegra 2:
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/4144/l...e-smartphone/8

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

I admit that I posted in frustration after only briefly researching the specs of the Tegra 2 processor. As far as Android not supporting dual core, that was allegedly supposed to be added in the 2.3.3 update (x2 at least). If full dual core support is not added until a future Android version, then that will suck because I will have a processor which was not fully utilized and will be outdated by the time it is. I guess this is the price of early adoption.

I personally would like to see less debate here and more brainstorming on possible solutions / workarounds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

For what it is worth, my performance issues seem completely random, it seems like the time of day I play and my geographical location make more of a difference than changes I make to my phone / game. Setting Flash to "on demand"or did in fact makeshift my phone run cooler even when the browser is not in use (this indicates that Flash seems to be using cpu resources long after the browser is closed). I need to benchmark my 3g connection in the areas I play most, to see if that is part of my problem, this would be more constructive than the speculating that I have been doing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Growwle:432160
    For what it is worth, my performance issues seem completely random, it seems like the time of day I play and my geographical location make more of a difference than changes I make to my phone / game. Setting Flash to "on demand"or did in fact makeshift my phone run cooler even when the browser is not in use (this indicates that Flash seems to be using cpu resources long after the browser is closed). I need to benchmark my 3g connection in the areas I play most, to see if that is part of my problem, this would be more constructive than the speculating that I have been doing.

Only thing is when I do play the game, I usually play on my Wi-Fi network an it still lags during large amounts of enemies and effects. So I would doubt it has to do with the 3g/4g network. At least fro what I've experienced. I did however notice a much better game play when I rooted my phone with a custom kernel and rom which is overclocked to 1.4ghz. Weird how there's a dual core in my photon yet i still need to do all this stuff to make this specific game run properly. I really hope that STS will figure out a way to figure this out or Motorola coming out with some sort of update possibly for the system or drivers depending where the problem lies.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

Yeah, I am just grasping at straws I really have no idea what the problem is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Heads up atrix users. I read most of this thread. But Motorola just released an update for the atrix. From 2.2 to 2.3
    gingerbread. Just grabbed it have yet to install. I can only hope.. Will check this thread later today. Good luck!

*Sorry for extended delay writing this. The update has made star legends playable! It's more alot more choppy even with low pings, especially so when skills are spammed. Turning off high quality, adjusting battery saver improves performance slightly. With the latency problems most people experience, plus phones like mine that have extra issues, game play still tests my patience but not like before.
    Last edited by Gunfu; 10-11-2011 at 10:44 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

The info STS server stability update really evened out my ping. And the flash 11 update came out, I don't know if that fixed anything, but the game runs better than ever now. Still don't know what fixed my graphics stutter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Im running 2.3.4 Still no difference in game play..

Quote Originally Posted by Growwle View Post
    I admit that I posted in frustration after only briefly researching the specs of the Tegra 2 processor. As far as Android not supporting dual core, that was allegedly supposed to be added in the 2.3.3 update (x2 at least). If full dual core support is not added until a future Android version, then that will suck because I will have a processor which was not fully utilized and will be outdated by the time it is. I guess this is the price of early adoption.

I personally would like to see less debate here and more brainstorming on possible solutions / workarounds.
    http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/3386/apocr.jpg

Gears of War Officer - Apoc/Apocx/Budlight

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

p.s. still no official reply from teh devs..
    http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/3386/apocr.jpg

Gears of War Officer - Apoc/Apocx/Budlight

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by apoceq View Post
    p.s. still no official reply from teh devs..
    Very few STS developers, and they're really busy. I'm certain we are already on the to do list.
    +1 Sam & Flip for doing their best

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Gunfu For This Useful Post: