Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Anyone xcant log?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

How can you roll back the game when the community has spent thousand of dollars on elixers? They have to target the "cheaters",( i use the term loosely) only. Only way to not undermine the grinding guy's hard work. Just saying

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by deafmaster View Post
    How can you roll back the game when the community has spent thousand of dollars on elixers? They have to target the "cheaters",( i use the term loosely) only. Only way to not undermine the grinding guy's hard work. Just saying
    There is always potential for the devs to refund the plat if they so choose to instate a roll-back.

I agree with you though, I feel that a roll-back would be a poor choice and cause much more harm than help both to STS and the community.
    Lol (Star Legends) - Noneo (Pocket Legends)
    Star Legends - Engineer's Survival Guide!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

@Gluttony, Elly and Noneo

I think you all have fair points. I don't have that experience from other games to know that people get banned for using a lvl exploit. But yeah, I can understand your logic behind it and can safely say I agree with this, to most extend. As by communicating the bug to the community, I meant informing people it exists, not posting step by step instructions. But, I can also see how that could be a bad thing to do. I felt it was just to share info to the community, but you are right when saying it seamingly serves no real purpose.

The thing we all to seem to agree on, is that people who did it for testing purposes shouldn't suffer any consequence. So, how can we differentiate the people who truly tested it for honest reasons, from the ones who simply abused it? Should devs check all chat logs and communication in order to weed out the 'good ones' from the 'bad ones'? I'm not saying they shouldn't, I'm just thinking that it would be an incredibly time-consuming process which is sensitive to human mistakes. Wouldn't a rollback be a much simpler solution?

And for all doubters of my rockstar status:
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    U rok, thanks!

I'm enjoying playing classical blues on my double bass
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Possibly true mAube not
    Proud member of COT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I say they do whatever they do and let everyone off on a warning, if you exploit a bug next time you are banned no more chances.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JaytB View Post
    Wouldn't a rollback be a much simpler solution?
    Yes.

But apparently, some people who couldn't/wouldn't confirm the bug for themselves want to point the finger to those that did. By all means, ban those people who've had this glitch for days and did nothing about it. But for players who 'had' it for an hour or two and did something about it? Get real. (This comment isn't directed to you, btw).

ELITE
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    143 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ellyidol View Post
    As far as I can tell, as soon as the thread came up about this, I confirmed and admitted I did it. As soon as Flip asked for a message, I messaged him explaining the glitch. Cheating is doing something wrong to get ahead of people with the intent of not getting caught, Parth and I came out with it as soon as we found out. Yeah, some cheaters we are. I'd definitely use this to get to 61, it's not like I had one already before this.
    No offense, but are you suggesting that because you told on yourself or admitted guilt that you didn't cheat? I'm not sure that anywhere in the definition of cheating does it say you have to be doing it in hopes you don't get caught. In fact, isn't there a saying "it's only cheating if you get caught," or something along those lines. I know I was staring at the handle of a ban hammer when I listed an exploit that only affected gold on the weekend which allowed everyone to take advantage until a dev was able to make a fix on Monday; this on a whole new level imo. You've already proved you put the community first so I don't believe any unnecessary consequences will come your way.

On a side note, the fact that you made the grind to 61 and know how time consuming it was only to cheat your way there with two other toons is eye-opening.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Personally I applaud the people who tried this and then posted about it in forums. It's because of their curiosity that the devs know about this in the first place. I think any sane, thinking person would have some fun with this, laugh at it and meanwhile notify the devs, just like with that bug a while ago with the helm that looked like a sword, or the bugs where you can walk out the walls. If I hadn't been asleep I would have tried it myself - not because I wanted the extra levels because I'm sure the devs will revert those toons to what they were before, but because I'd be curious to know exactly how it works. I was a Computer Science major and I'm dying to know how this bug could have crept into the code.

The guy who tried to sell this for 10k - he should fully be banned. Those who had fun with this and posted on forums (or knew that friends had posted about it) did a totally understandable and human thing. I'm sure they knew their characters would be reverted once the bug was fixed. Their only sin was that they possessed more curiosity and desire for fun than a vegetable.
    Kalielle - level 56 mage | Kaley - level 55 roundup bear | Clusterstorm - level 55 rush paladin
    Quote Originally Posted by noobmigo View Post
    Clusterstorm? Pshh, he merely leads the fastest games ever.
    Pocket Legends Video Tutorial

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had no idea there was a leveling bug...how wierd

I'm enjoying playing classical blues on my double bass
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Wait after reading Elli post Theresa a glitch to get to 61 instantly???!!??!!!!!
    Proud member of COT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    380 Posts

Why is there even a debate?

The devs will do as they see fit to those who have exploited, and it is up the devs and them alone to decide who was 'exploiting' the glitch. If you disagree, there is no one to complain to since the devs would be the ones to change anything so why bother complaining over it?

-------AEO-------

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have no idea what the bug is or how to exploit it, but if people needed to spend plats to exploit the bug, do you think they should be refunded for the plats?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JaytB View Post
    I felt it was just to share info to the community, but you are right when saying it seamingly serves no real purpose.
    Exactly, if players wanted to share with the community, they easily could have right after the bug got fixed. No need to post all the details while the bug is still in effect.

Take for example Pharcyde's bug about getting unlimited credits power and stim packs in SL. He posted a bug report called "Unlimited Credits, and Stim packs" and in the description he wrote, "devs are looking into this, will post details when the bug is fixed."

That, in my opinion, is how this bug should have been reported. Just enough to let others that discovered the bug have reassurance that they are not crazy, but not enough for a public onlooker to take part in "testing".

The thing we all to seem to agree on, is that people who did it for testing purposes shouldn't suffer any consequence. So, how can we differentiate the people who truly tested it for honest reasons, from the ones who simply abused it? Should devs check all chat logs and communication in order to weed out the 'good ones' from the 'bad ones'? I'm not saying they shouldn't, I'm just thinking that it would be an incredibly time-consuming process which is sensitive to human mistakes. Wouldn't a rollback be a much simpler solution?
    Lets hope the devs have some magic STS sponge with which they can wash away this mess with as little uproar as possible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NECROREAPER View Post

The devs will do as they see fit to those who have exploited, and it is up the devs and them alone to decide who was 'exploiting' the glitch. If you disagree, there is no one to complain to since the devs would be the ones to change anything so why bother complaining over it?
    Although I agree with your reasoning, I think it's a good thing it gets discussed on the forum. Aren't we supposed to be a community? I strongly feel that the voice of the community must be heard by the devs, so that they can make an informed decision on how to move forward from here

And for all doubters of my rockstar status:
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    U rok, thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ellyidol View Post
    By all means, ban those people who've had this glitch for days and did nothing about it.
    +1

But even those who used it for the one hour (not for legit testing and reporting purposes) to gain an upperhand should be punished as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gluttony View Post
    No offense, but are you suggesting that because you told on yourself or admitted guilt that you didn't cheat? I'm not sure that anywhere in the definition of cheating does it say you have to be doing it in hopes you don't get caught. In fact, isn't there a saying "it's only cheating if you get caught," or something along those lines. I know I was staring at the handle of a ban hammer when I listed an exploit that only affected gold on the weekend which allowed everyone to take advantage until a dev was able to make a fix on Monday; this on a whole new level imo. You've already proved you put the community first so I don't believe any unnecessary consequences will come your way.

On a side note, the fact that you made the grind to 61 and know how time consuming it was only to cheat your way there with two other toons is eye-opening.
    I'll give you that, I did 'cheat'.

If a student in a test he already aced finds a cheating loophole in the test, tries it during a second similar test, and immediately calls the teachers attention to notify, is that abuse? Would it result to the student's expulsion? I would agree, that the 'school' would void that test he used to prove the loophole. A test he already aced anyway, he could care less that the most recent test is disregarded.

I think my point is across. In no way am I trying to argue on our values or beliefs or anything, I'll leave that for university. I'm just trying to defend myself and my friends in respect to my perspective on the matter.

I somehow find your sig very appropriate
    Last edited by Ellyidol; 09-10-2011 at 07:56 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NECROREAPER View Post

This. No one should be here admitting they did it or didn't do it. No one should be debating what should happen. Dev's are the only ones who need to know anything. Trying to white knight on the forums is silly. Dev's will clear it up one way or another.

Let's make it SPARKLE!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

If i get rolled-back, i'm quitting... I used a 100$ and three days to get to 61 WITHOUT any glitches... Not that the cash matters BUT i did use hours and hours on lvling fairly. Btw, i didn't even know such a bug/glitch existed!
    Xazic -- That random warbird.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Kalielle, I couldnt agree more.
    Me,when I first found it I got 3 toons to 61, might as well enjoy the look of it while it lasts, because I knew right away, the devs won't let this slip through. Whilst my friends were trying it on many toons I said to a couple of them, your just gonna get reset, no point in abusing it so you get banned.
    As soon as I stopped I checked my computer to see that there were threads already made about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I personally wasn't aware of this glitch (otherwise my sig would have 3 level 61s right now). In my opinion the glitch was a programming error and if people choose to exploit it then they're taking advantage of a situation rather than cheating - it is, however, completely appropriate to roll back their characters only. I better not lose anything as my farming was elixir-expensive and legit. I will watch with great interest as to how STS deal with this.

I think it's fair enough that people who attempted to profit from this financially (e.g. sell the secret) deserve some form of punishment but really people are operating in the environment set up by the game and aren't hacking or anything like that.

Sounds like a lot of people and actively members of the community did exploit the opportunity. Banning them would be financially disasterous for STS and would dramatically impact on the enjoyability and sense of community that the forum brings.
    Zaghorakis - level 60 bear | Arczaghorakis - level 60 bird | Enczaghorakis - level 60 enchantress