Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Characters at different levels

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

I'll tell you exactly why it drops suddenly, that god damn trading pass. For a new player who wants better gear they have to log on for 10 days before that can get it, which is so boring and tentative I can assume. I'd understand maybe 2-3 days but not 10 - that's just way too long.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Energizeric View Post
    Here are some thoughts and analysis....

1) I'm assuming these numbers are "total" players rather than "active" players? If so, then it would be logical than many people try the game, and then quit after a short time. That is just normal and to be expected. So that would explain the spikes at the very low levels.

2) Another explanation is events.... Prior to there being events, I just had my main endgame character. Then when the first elondrian event happened and we started being given good loot for reaching silver/gold/platinum event tiers, it just became logical to run the event on as many characters as possible. And then when the Para and Eye gems were being given out, the number of players running the events on multiple toons increased drastically. Many of us, myself included, made a number of "extra" characters just to run events, and since it's easier and takes less time to make a lower level character, those are the ones that are out there. A good analysis of this would be to show a similar chart, but instead of total number of characters that exist for each level, how about the number of hours played in a given month for each level. I think you would find endgame would be the highest, and lower levels would only peak during an event.

3) Another reason lower levels are popular is that scaling based on level in PvE has failed. Why? Because many items have stats which do NOT scale. For example, pet happiness bonuses do not scale. So a level 5 player with munch mouth pet still gets 200+ armor from the happiness bonus, which will more than double his armor. Other items that have health/mana bonuses also do NOT scale. They give the same +50 or +100 health/mana bonus that the same item at end game does. As a result, twinks who are well geared are much more powerful for their level than higher level players. But if scaling was adjusted to account for this, then a new player with lousy gear would have no chance to complete a typical dungeon and would be discouraging. So this system encourages players to run events at twink levels.

4) As for the middle levels being dead, there is simply no reason to play the middle levels. There is no good loot to be had by running any of the mid level dungeons. For example, let's take level 31. You would expect this to be a popular level because of all the good mythic gear that exists at level 31. The problem is that none of that gear can actually be farmed by someone who is level 31. The level 31 mythic weapons are all discontinued. The armor/helm/ring and amulet all come in elite golden chests that cannot be farmed by level 31 players, only by endgame players.

5) With all the event gear that has come out over the past 2 years, the best items at most levels are now event gear. The legendary items that still drop in the dungeons -- none of them are worth much at all since none are the best for that level anymore. Other than a few eggs, I cannot think of any legendary gear at any level that is worth farming. And I think that is a big problem. In Pocket Legends, there was tons of gear to farm at every level. Everyone was always interested in farming "sets". Unfortunately, sets in AL are a recent addition, and no sets appear at lower levels.

6) Another phenomenon in Pocket Legends was farming for scaled gear. For example, level 56 gear could only be farmed by a level 56 player. A player level 60 or higher farming the same dungeon would get the same item in level 60. So having level 56 farmers became a popular thing. No such phenomenon exists in AL. The recent addition of the level 16 arcane weapons was a good addition to encourage lower level farming, but it should have been limited to players under a certain level. Unfortunately, most of the players farming for the arcane chests are endgame. If only players level 21 or lower could loot an arcane chests, that would have encouraged much more play at the lower levels.

In the end, what is killing AL is that the fun runs out after around level 16, and then you must level all the way up to 56 before any more fun is to be found. And that takes a lot of time, and I think many new players just get bored long before getting there and give up.

I began playing Pocket Legends during the level 66 cap, and it took me 6 months to reach endgame, which I did for the first time at level 71. That 6 months of leveling was tons of fun. I can't imagine having to do that in Arcane Legends -- it would be very boring as virtually nobody is running the lower and mid level non-elite dungeons. In Pocket Legends, you could join just about any dungeons and there were always random players running. You need to find a way to bring that aspect to AL, and the way to do it is by making desirable items that can only be farmed by lower and mid level players.
    I couldn't agree more, if you want advice sts listen to this guy and arcane would become something so much better than what it is. I think everyone agrees levelling sucks and there is nothing fun about it, no reason to stay at any level as dungeons are only for endgame and many drop little worth items. If you did everything this guy said I think I'd much enjoy it so much more, and it would make many more people stay.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts

Yeah, I know this post is late, but I've just returned to the game, so....

From what I remember, levels 10, 15/16, 18 are very popular PvP levels for twinks, so peaks there aren't surprising.

A big reason for the spike at level 5 is that opens up trading, so there are A LOT of mule/merch/scam/stash accounts at this level.

The drop at level 11 is because 10 and 15 are very, very efficient levels for event farming. With high end gear, you are literally OP in events....even solo, and the gear that you earn at levels 10 and 15 are extremely valuable.

Level 18 is another popular PvP level, mainly because there isn't a big jump in scaling versus a lv19/20.

I would say that through level 18, there is a good mixture of PvP and PvE farmers (albeit, many farmers are simply event toons). Level 19+, there is no value in farmed gear and you are on the wrong side of the mob scaling equation; therefore, no interest.

Keep in mind, that this charts ALL players, not ACTIVE players. Many new players join the game, check it out, and a percentage will either quit or go inactive for long stretches. I do expect the distribution to be skewed to the lower levels.

I am also not surprised by all the Warriors at the lower levels. A lot of these would be your new players, because tanking is inexpensive. At low levels, Sorcs do consume a lot of HP pots, but that changes pretty quickly, and they become one of the least expensive classes to maintain. Rogues are just plain expensive to run with - at any level, so the rogues at these lower levels are going to be your PvP'ers or those that intend to run to cap.

The peak at 41 and 46 are probably players that capped in those respective seasons and either quit or are saying behind improve their PvP stats. Another consideration is the power leveling platinum package. Some players probably bought the boost to 41, realized that they were out of their element (having not worked their way through the game, didn't join a good guild, didn't make friends, etc.) and have left. I'm willing to bet that most of the population stuck at 41 and 46 have left the game. People have short attention spans, so if there wasn't new content/gear/etc. to keep them interested, the moved on to something else.

I'm a little bit surprised by the numbers between levels 19-40. I would suspect that the overwhelming majority of this population is either inactive (gave up on the grind) or are in the midst of going to cap. There is simply nothing at these levels to be interested in, so I can only conclude that the active players in this level band are doing everything that they can to level up.

If you were to chart "active" players, I think you would see peaks at 5, 10, 15/16, 18/19 and 56, with a deep trough from level 20-54. There could be a small peak at level 25/26 (because I do remember some PvP guilds there).

AL: Kalizzaa
    Retired Officer of <Elite Runners>
    Elite Chronicles: Solo guides for elite maps - No longer maintained

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts

No mid-level content substantial enough to hold its own community around it, nothing fresh being introduced around there too. All the earlier twinking communities are self-evident as with those who chose to stay at the pre-56 cap. Some games have several types of repetitive party quests or guild quests, which can't be played once u go above certain levels, as incentives to even out the level distribution. Those help keep those pockets of communities around, in those awkward level ranges of past level caps.

Alphagun /TRUEORIGIN/ Fullsick
    <Five Elements>
    Speed Demon
    Guides| MerchMidas | Youtube

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Not anymore

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Why the mages re the best? Now they have the best attack skills... best heal skill... a Better shield.... just need some arc items and nekro to be immortals in a duel... the inmuty of a stuns and debuffs and high percent of apply bleed effect to the others players .. it no is fair

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mage definitely feels the most fluid when casting damaging spells, healing, and support. although I can't stand the look compared to rogues but that is just my personal preference!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I thought i saw "Cheaters at different levels" hahaha

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

11char11char

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Go to lvl 47-50.. and meet your doom at PVP.. haha

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Why nothing new character?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

good info 10 chaz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts

Right now the situation is
    People are all exiting the lvl 10 brackets in pursuit of higher brackets (16 onwards) due to the advent of awakening which broke the low level bracket pretty badly because it takes 30 minutes to get a kill in clash between two evenly balanced teams thus making the game very very boring.

People in the 47-50 brackets and 58 brackets mostly go on to endgame due to the alluring profits from farming in end game thus PvP is getting less and less popular at higher levels.
    Last edited by Justg; 01-02-2017 at 11:55 AM. Reason: less drama
    POTATO ISH ME

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Potato is me For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes,There are people pushing Kraken!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hope you can help me Justg

I won't do that again even if I'm asked for help If ever i get my account back..

Sorry for being persistent..
    I just miss my Avi, I worked hard for it..

Thanks..

Sent from my SM-G530H using Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

In short, from level1-18, they are many alts because they have twink chars and some people just join game. And they are find it hard to level up because they have less gold and they give up at those levels.

Sent from my SM-G720N0 using Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

No More twinks

No more end game farming..

Only fun

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    Every now and then we will look at the game to see how people are progressing through the level curves. Here is a recent run:

Rogues are Blue
    Mages are Orange
    Warriors are Green

Attachment 154074

We have our own ideas, but we thought it would be fun to get your impressions as well:

- Why the spike at 5?
    - Why the drop from 10 to 11?
    - Why the drop from 18 to 19?
    - Is the distribution what you would expect?

Thanks!

- g
    Can u please unban my Dandremic account it was my first ever offence to the terms of service and I can't just give up this Lovely game I feel like I would die without that account after all those years in it . please I'm begging it will never happen again IGN Dandremic
    Yours sincerely D'Andre Palmer (Dandremic)

Sent from my DIGICELDL1plus using Tapatalk