Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reset all leaderboards seasonally

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...rboard-Winners!

The thread above shows why its so hard to monitor the leaderboards. Banners are literally given to everyone with a leaderboard position.

After making sure all leaderboards are reset seasonally:
    If you were to only give out banners to the top 5 players in each leaderboard instead of the current 25...you would only need to e.g. check the kill record of each of those 5 players thoroughly after the season ends. Cheaters would be very easy to single out using a system to check the amount of player(s) that player has killed multiple times and the time frame of which they did.

For example, Player A dummy farms Player B for 5,000 kills during the beginning of the season, then starts playing legitimately. Player B's name would be highlighted in a ranking system as #1 and being killed by player A 5,000 times over (along with the time frame). Player A who is now #1 on the leaderboard would be removed and replaced with another who is #2 (if that person has been deemed clean). And so on.

This should be done before banners are given out.

I believe too many banners are currently given out and this is why its so hard to monitor the leaderboards.

Please note, this system excludes timed runs leaderboards, the AP leaderboard, the PvE kills leaderboard and the guild leaderboard.
    Last edited by Breakingbadxx; 08-21-2016 at 10:58 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

I believe the system above would work because strategically dummy farming to avoid being caught would gain you kills at a much slower rate than playing legitimately. In the end, dummy farmers would be removed if they gained positions in the top 5.

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Breakingbadxx; 08-21-2016 at 10:57 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

There are very simple things you can do to stop botting and kill farming. For example, for PvP, place a limit on how many times one player can kill another player in the same day. Maybe that limit should be 50. So if you kill the same player 100 times in the same day, only the first 50 will count as kills in your stats. You may not eliminate it entirely, but at least make it more difficult for the cheaters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    541 Posts

How about, remove the boards all together
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Visiting View Post
    And leave those who already have leaderboard banners with unattainable bragging rights for life?

No thanks.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts

Just a thought but when we look at the lb's in town they clearly show the season. So first impression will always be that the players are top players for that 'particular season'. I agree with OP (although this has been suggested countless times already) that each season players start from scratch for lb. It encourages competition and dedication like in any event.
    Although PvP is an important topic mentioned here, it will be hardest to manage with the rise of dummy farmers. But I guess making examples of a few of them by deleting their kills might discourage others from trying out the method. Also add a report option for dummy farming.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts

When u cant reach any lb spot so u want to noone else get banner be like:

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts

Remember those long tiresome 100-500 boss kill aps, 10k flags? Hardly anyone would want to do them if you removed the lb.

Leaderboard encourages the survival of the game itself. Without anything to work towards people won't even want to play regularly.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Fightbeast For This Useful Post:

raw

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    541 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zulgath View Post
    When u cant reach any lb spot so u want to noone else get banner be like:
    Tfw you have lb banners and Zulgath knows it ;o
    Also, I could bot lb banners all day but that'd just make like the majority I guess.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    541 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Breakingbadxx View Post
    And leave those who already have leaderboard banners with unattainable bragging rights for life?

No thanks.
    Their so called bragging rights come from something so watered down and laughable that it's silly to consider it an honor of any sort
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts

Tfw you have lb banners and Zulgath knows it ;o
    Also, I could bot lb banners all day but that'd just make like the majority I guess.
    ;o mad boi, i dont bot.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Zulgath For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    541 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zulgath View Post
    ;o mad boi, i dont bot.
    I know boyo
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

I really hope they don't remove the leaderboards. I've never cheated and I've managed to earn some banners over the years and I'm very proud of them. Removing the leaderboards will remove a very fun (for me) aspect of the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Energizeric View Post
    I really hope they don't remove the leaderboards. I've never cheated and I've managed to earn some banners over the years and I'm very proud of them. Removing the leaderboards will remove a very fun (for me) aspect of the game.
    Exactly, I understand people felt frust and unhappy or in other words, unfair especially for those bots/dummy user to get in lb. Me myself work hard for 4 months to get myself on the pve lb and hoping that I able to stay and get lb banner when new season come. If they remove the lb then all my effort all this time worthless.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Mesti For This Useful Post:

Yes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mucleman View Post
    Exactly, I understand people felt frust and unhappy or in other words, unfair especially for those bots/dummy user to get in lb. Me myself work hard for 4 months to get myself on the pve lb and hoping that I able to stay and get lb banner when new season come. If they remove the lb then all my effort all this time worthless.

Name:  13686737_1037578186357808_4878376455992772546_n.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  59.9 KB

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    478 Posts

No amount of change to the way the leaderboard is going to change the impact of botting/cheating on leaderboards, unless a strong commitment is made to policing the leaderboard and clamping down on ANY suspicious player activity, not just the activity of players on leaderboards.

To say that restricting banners to top 5 in every category will reduce the amount of botting is naive. People will bot regardless of how many spots give banners.

There are people who will bot intermittently to fly under the radar and linger amongst the non-banner spots till near the end of the season and then have a burst of activity near the end of the season to collect the prize. The activity burst may be legit so that no one thinks they actually botted in the first place. Seasonal PvP kills LBs makes it even easier for botters/killfarmers to get on LB, and then it becomes a race of who can bot/farm faster because they don't have the 100k kills mountain set by an old player to climb, and will then only be racing against other cheaters.

I am speaking as a player who has played for a long time and interacted with many different players: changing the leaderboards will not alter the PvP dynamic and make it more active. Very few people I know do PvP for the sake of getting onto the leaderboard. I personally PvP for fun and my PvP activity will not change regardless of whether or not the leaderboard tracks all-time or seasonal kills. It is the same for most of the other PvP players. The truth of the matter is that PvP power is clustered amongst the few guilds who are able to call upon the best players, who can stack tanks and mages to abuse the PvP class imbalance, and who can call upon enough players to gang/block others. In short, the PvP environment is unfair to most players out of the major PvP guilds and this prevents players from trying out PvP. It has nothing to do with leaderboard cheating.

I could go on and on about ways to circumvent your proposed changes but the point I'm making is that without proper policing of player activity, no changes to the leaderboard will make things any fairer for legit players
    Why do we fall? So that we can rise again.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Safiras For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yes View Post
    Name:  13686737_1037578186357808_4878376455992772546_n.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  59.9 KB

Hahahaahahahha

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Safiras View Post
    No amount of change to the way the leaderboard is going to change the impact of botting/cheating on leaderboards, unless a strong commitment is made to policing the leaderboard and clamping down on ANY suspicious player activity, not just the activity of players on leaderboards.

To say that restricting banners to top 5 in every category will reduce the amount of botting is naive. People will bot regardless of how many spots give banners.

There are people who will bot intermittently to fly under the radar and linger amongst the non-banner spots till near the end of the season and then have a burst of activity near the end of the season to collect the prize. The activity burst may be legit so that no one thinks they actually botted in the first place. Seasonal PvP kills LBs makes it even easier for botters/killfarmers to get on LB, and then it becomes a race of who can bot/farm faster because they don't have the 100k kills mountain set by an old player to climb, and will then only be racing against other cheaters.

I am speaking as a player who has played for a long time and interacted with many different players: changing the leaderboards will not alter the PvP dynamic and make it more active. Very few people I know do PvP for the sake of getting onto the leaderboard. I personally PvP for fun and my PvP activity will not change regardless of whether or not the leaderboard tracks all-time or seasonal kills. It is the same for most of the other PvP players. The truth of the matter is that PvP power is clustered amongst the few guilds who are able to call upon the best players, who can stack tanks and mages to abuse the PvP class imbalance, and who can call upon enough players to gang/block others. In short, the PvP environment is unfair to most players out of the major PvP guilds and this prevents players from trying out PvP. It has nothing to do with leaderboard cheating.

I could go on and on about ways to circumvent your proposed changes but the point I'm making is that without proper policing of player activity, no changes to the leaderboard will make things any fairer for legit players
    I agree, cheating should be clamped down on mercilessly.

Most do it because they know they won't be caught.

There should be somewhere in game to report anyone you suspect of cheating/dummy farming and if their record shows anything of the sort, they should receive a perma ban. They can plead their case if they feel they were unjustly banned.

The fear of the possibility of receiving a perma ban would discourage even the most calculated cheaters.

Discouraging cheating should be a priority. Cheating has been condoned and has hindered in game progress for too long.
    Last edited by Breakingbadxx; 08-22-2016 at 06:01 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

supporting the idea to reset lbs