Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: What was AL made with

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts

Default What was AL made with

So I have always been curious about this a a games development student at university, what game engine was Arcane Legends made in? I would really appreciate an answer from an STS representative;P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/marsu4u

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

They have their own engine called Spacetime Engine. I'm not sure which coding language was used to write it.
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    935 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by avikk View Post
    Java methinks
    No thanks, i prefer mocha

IGN: Łʊƈɨƒɛʀ
    Join the Discord Community!
    Arcane Legends Discord

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zylx For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    They have their own engine called Spacetime Engine. I'm not sure which coding language was used to write it.
    Their own engine, very impressive. It seems like a neat little engine. Just like the OP, I too have an interest in these things, mostly as a hobbyist.

Prolly code C++ and 3D modelling 3DS Max.

Back in my day....... I was taught pascal and cobol programming languages T.T

My lecturer was a die hard pascal fanboy. His famous words where... C++ will never catch on!
    Last edited by Terminhater; 09-08-2016 at 03:22 AM.
    You want mana? Here have a BANANA

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Terminhater For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts

Really curious waiting for Gary, Vroom or someone to answer lol :P Keep this thread alive till they see it

8.   Click here to go to the next Dev post in this thread.   #6
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,037 Posts

C++/ Open GL.

Originally built by Asommers and Futumsh, who were principle engineers on Star Wars: Galaxies before Spacetime.

Futumsh's tech history goes all the way back to Ultima Online!
    | | | |

Need help? Please visit our Support Website at http://support.spacetimestudios.com

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Justg For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts

just had to add there is lots of history in this stuidios!!! sts is more then i expected! google knows everything yes gerry even what you ate last night!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,462 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Terminhater View Post
    Their own engine, very impressive. It seems like a neat little engine. Just like the OP, I too have an interest in these things, mostly as a hobbyist.

My lecturer was a die hard pascal fanboy. His famous words where... C++ will never catch on!
    Ha!
    I remember coding a rng in cobalt by scratching marks on deer hide, by light of the sparks of two rocks being smashed together

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Suentous PO For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Terminhater View Post

Wow, someone here as old as me maybe? LOL

I learned Pascal, Fortran, Cobol, Basic and Assembly language when I was in school.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Energizeric For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Energizeric View Post

I learned Pascal, Fortran, Cobol, Basic and Assembly language when I was in school.
    I might be a lil older hehehe.

Assembly language was too tedious, tried it but didn't like it. I loved cobol!

Due to learning how to program, I've actually become methodical
    You want mana? Here have a BANANA

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Then i'm new to this all lol. I follow a IT education. We're currently learning the basics of making our own database. We need learn how we're gonna make one on our own in a period of 20 weeks.

18.   Click here to go to the next Dev post in this thread.   #13
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Energizeric View Post

I'm only in my 30's but I had to learn Assembly and C/C++ where I went to school for Game Dev years and years ago, I started as a programmer before I focused on pretty colors and boss mechanics
    Last edited by Carapace; 09-08-2016 at 03:20 PM.
    | | | |

Need help? Please visit our Support Website at http://support.spacetimestudios.com

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Carapace For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Carapace View Post
    I'm only in my 30's but I had to learn Assembly and C/C++ where I went to school for Game Dev years and years ago, I started as a programmer before I focused on pretty colors and boss mechanics
    Cool story! Can you tell more about your experience? How hard was study? How long did it all took? And so on

21.   Click here to go to the next Dev post in this thread.   #15
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by resurrected View Post
    Cool story! Can you tell more about your experience? How hard was study? How long did it all took? And so on
    I went to Fullsail University's Bachelor Game Design and Development program. It was blistering fast, 40 hours a week of school before projects and homework and we only had a week off for winter break and spring I think? I graduated in under 2 years. I learned how to code C/C++ in a month and a half and made my first game in four months. It was an awesome program, but not for everyone. Not a lot of time for partying, and many sleepless nights studying and working on projects. I almost failed AI!

My final project I worked with four other classmates and we all went on to have careers in the industry. This was our final project: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdEBQ045lvs

We made it from scratch in about 5 months from the ground up. The Engine guy now works at Microsoft on XBOX, another went to Microsoft for tool ssupport, one went on to work on Silent Hill over in CA before leaving the industry to work in health care, another went to work on SWTOR, and I now work at Spacetime after working on games like The Incredible Hulk, Call of Duty (360/PS3 port), Thor (Wii/3DS), Inertia (on iOS/Android) and some other titles along the way. Been at Spacetime almost 5 years now, and working in Game Dev for almost 10
    Last edited by Carapace; 09-08-2016 at 04:05 PM.
    | | | |

22. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Carapace For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts

I went to Fullsail University's Bachelor Game Design and Development program. It was blistering fast, 40 hours a week of school before projects and homework and we only had a week off for winter break and spring I think? I graduated in under 2 years. I learned how to code C/C++ in a month and a half and made my first game in four months. It was an awesome program, but not for everyone. Not a lot of time for partying, and many sleepless nights studying and working on projects. I almost failed AI!

My final project I worked with four other classmates and we all went on to have careers in the industry. This was our final project: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdEBQ045lvs

We made it from scratch in about 5 months from the ground up. The Engine guy now works at Microsoft on XBOX, another went to Microsoft for tool ssupport, one went on to work on Silent Hill over in CA before leaving the industry to work in health care, another went to work on SWTOR, and I now work at Spacetime after working on games like The Incredible Hulk, Call of Duty (360/PS3 port), Thor (Wii/3DS), Inertia (on iOS/Android) and some other titles along the way. Been at Spacetime almost 5 years now, and working in Game Dev for almost 10
    Wow that sounds extremely inspiring, I am certainly looking forward to having accomplishments like this.

And btw what is the name of the engine you guys are using for Arcane Legends?

24.   This is the last Dev post in this thread.   #17
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by marsu4u View Post
    Wow that sounds extremely inspiring, I am certainly looking forward to having accomplishments like this.

And btw what is the name of the engine you guys are using for Arcane Legends?
    It's an internal engine called the "Spacetime Engine", so you won't find any information about it anywhere I'm afraid
    | | | |

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts

Would it by any chance be possible for you to put up an screenshot if the interface, im very curious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts

Damn that's beautiful story and so inspirating! Funny game wish we can play it xD. You worked on so many games! It's really cool. I believe it was hard work but seeing players happy from game must be very nice feeling

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

If they taught game development when I was in school, I may have considered it. I went to the University of Buffalo for electrical engineering. It was in the early days of cellular communcations, and I found that area so fascinating.

Also, the Internet was just getting started, and back then only engineering and comp sci students were online. Most of the rest of society had no idea what the Internet was. I got my first email address my junior year, and I can remember telling family and friends about it and getting responses like "Really? You can do that through a computer? You mean like a fax?" It wasn't until 3-4 years later when America Online became a big thing that everyone started using the Internet.

After graduation I ended up getting into music production, and today I own a music production company.

As for computer programming, I started when I was 8 years old. My first computer was a Commodore Vic-20 and I got a subscription to Run Magazine, which was a magazine devoted to Basic programming. Later in high school I took classes in Basic and Pascal, and then in college learned Assumbly language, Fortran, Cobol and C++, and on my own I learned Visual Basic. I still use Visual Basic today, as it is wonderful for data manipulation of large amounts of music metadata.