Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If I see another person lowballing.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Default If I see another person lowballing.....

Lately, I've seen SO many people asking for a price that they can merch with. For example.... Selling green ice sword 800k, the buyer says il buy for 350k. ARE YOU KIDDING. It irritates me so bad to see that happen and makes me want to punch the person who said that in the face (lol)... We all know the seller will take your offer for 500k+ lower than he wants.

EDIT: The purpose of this thread is mainly pointing out that if you lowball to an extent soooooo ridiculous their is no point in it. Just a heads up , we know u gotta merch but don't make it seem like you think 300k on a 1mil item will get you the item.. Thanks
    Last edited by Nourish; 09-21-2011 at 05:06 PM.
    Nourish 36 Engineer | Glu 36 Commando | Tacticz 36 Operative

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

As valid as your discontent is, I think the duty of setting a minimum price lies on the seller though. If none is stated, it's only natural for those types of prices to surface.

A buyer will always want to buy as low as possible, while the seller wants to sell as high as possible. They'll meet in the middle.

I have seen some people 'lowball' despite the minimum price though, which I too find annoying.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Meowz, I might offer a suggestion as well because sometimes I get irritated with people contacting me in-game asking for discounts off the price I have listed something in CS. I have a seperate toon that I use to merchant with that I typically only use for selling. I list with that toon and then go back to leveling with my mains. Since that toon isn't on-line for extended periods of time, there isn't a chance for discount PMs in-game. If you have a spare slot, you may want to think about it. Or just list on the toon that you aren't using much.

DT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

I'll tell you what. I've bought a couple cars from Craigslist, for example. The seller states what he's hoping to get for the car. But naturally, they know that in the end they'll probably lose a couple hundred bucks because they're desperate to sell the car. So the seller bumps the asking price up a few hundred bucks to compensate for the potential loss they may take.

So, me as the buyer, meets up with the seller. Checks the car out, I like what I see. However, I know that I will need to get a few things done to the car. The asking price is $1500. In MY POCKET, I know I have $1100 even. I talk and explain what still needs to be done and that I came with $800 (which is not true). I SHOW the money that I have. This makes the difference because when they know they need the money, and they can SEE the money that I have in my hand, it is very effective in making a deal. So they say, well give me $1200. Yeah, but the tires on this thing need replaced and I need to get it inspected, blah blah. Ok I have $1000 for you. Seller says, man... You're killing me. I say, ok $1100. And they say ok, np.

My point is, low balling on the buyers side is extremely effective when trying to negotiate. I have learned that low balling is exactly what you do FIRST. Especially if they haven't named the price yet. Don't overdo it but you can lowball and show that you have at least SOME money and it really works. Now if the seller hates themselves after the fact, it's on them. They hold the cards, they run the show. They can either say yes or no. And from my experience, I've gotten more yes than no.

Just wanted to use an example. Nothing wrong with this as long as it isnt outrageous when you're low balling.
    PL - Navygreen
    AL - Viicks (me), Littlesis (my sis)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Meowz just mute the irritating people!

Why do people spam out "selling this junk, blah, blah" --> put it in the auction hall for sale and go play.

What reall bothers me is people spamming out "selling nuri glyph hood for 3.5mil" i look in the AH and its selling for 1.7mil ?! lol wtf?!
    Snub (65) Full Dex Archer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

More on forums than in-game. It's not always ME who is selling the items. It's mostly when I see someone selling an item with starting bid at 500k let's say and someone says 350k. Seriously?

I read all the responses and thought they had good tips but im mostly trying to get word out that IF SOMEONE SAYS A PRICE, DON'T GO A DRASTIC AMOUNT BELOW THEIR OFFER.
    Nourish 36 Engineer | Glu 36 Commando | Tacticz 36 Operative

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Meowz View Post
    makes me want to punch the person who said that in the face...
    Lol... bit of an overreaction for a simple counteroffer, don't you think?

My rule for back in the Wild West pre-AH days was to ignore-list people whose offer was below 25-30% of the market price of the item. Other than that I don't mind if people make counteroffers. Even if I don't sell, it helps me to see what people are willing to pay. I once sold something to someone directly that I had listed on the AH for higher and people undercut me; the person messaged me with an offer that was lower but not unreasonable and I said sure. He was happy to get the item at a good price, and I was glad that I had made someone's day.

I've also made offers to people that were lower than what they asked for and got some very good deals that way. I'm always polite and open about it. I tell them that their price is fair, but that I'm only prepared to pay X. It's their choice whether to accept it, and some of them do and others just say "nty" and I say "ok" and that's that. I don't take offense and I don't expect them to get upset either. What's the point of trading outside of the AH if you get offended by people trying to negotiate the price?
    Kalielle - level 56 mage | Kaley - level 55 roundup bear | Clusterstorm - level 55 rush paladin
    Quote Originally Posted by noobmigo View Post
    Clusterstorm? Pshh, he merely leads the fastest games ever.
    Pocket Legends Video Tutorial

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Hunzzz bought my green ice recently in cs for 300k I believe...when players lowball just ignore. Many players do private trading because they need to liquidate and not have to wait for listing it in cs, they might have an urgency to liquidate to buy an item in cs. Lowballing is quite common in private trades. Just ignore.
    Insanegunner Lordkarma Bearbricx L50+ Shooter
    Proteuz Montaguez Koshiro Wackymage L50+ Tank
    Evoltsson Cosmiclord Cosmicqueen L50+ Wizard
    Evolt L65 Paladin Founder of Guild Free Suckers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Evolt View Post
    Hunzzz bought my green ice recently in cs for 300k I believe...when players lowball just ignore. Many players do private trading because they need to liquidate and not have to wait for listing it in cs, they might have an urgency to liquidate to buy an item in cs. Lowballing is quite common in private trades. Just ignore.

Also keep in mind that cs requires about 10% deposit fees @.@ so ppl do private sales so they don't waste deposits, what pisses me off is adding an item in cs for 800k then getting UNDERCUT by 1 gold -.-

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Meowz View Post
    Lately, I've seen SO many people asking for a price that they can merch with. For example.... Selling green ice sword 800k, the buyer says il buy for 350k. ARE YOU KIDDING. It irritates me so bad to see that happen and makes me want to punch the person who said that in the face... We all know the seller will take your offer for 500k+ lower than he wants.
    and what was the point of making this thread. im am sick of these pointless threads not everyone in game reads the forum!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by 小孩子 View Post

Also keep in mind that cs requires about 10% deposit fees @.@ so ppl do private sales so they don't waste deposits, what pisses me off is adding an item in cs for 800k then getting UNDERCUT by 1 gold -.-
    I have never cared about the listing fees.
    I do agree I hate when someone undercuts me a $1, to bad there is not some thing built in which forces you to go at at least 2% lower or something then the least expensive. Alternatly you also would have to sell for 2% more then the most expensive.
    (2%,3,4,5.. whatever, i just picked 2% for example)

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,058 Posts

The answer is.....

TATADAM

... Counterundercut with one gold.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

I offer you 1 gold for this thread.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Low balling is a part of negotiating. I'm sorry but, if you're trying to negotiate as a buyer and you don't low ball from the very beginning, you're losing ground in the negotiation. You never know how desperate the seller is. And the way that I think, I go into a negotiation with the assumption that the seller needs the money. Why else would they be selling something of theirs? Sorry guys not to sound like I'm going totally against the grain, but I have to tell you that this is the way i've gained a majority of my cool items.

I think if you have a problem with people low balling you, ignore them and say no. Dont reply back. If you need the money and the person is not blatantly trying to rob you, then by all means, negotiate. But don't hate on me because I talked you out of your item. That's crazy. In the end, we both benefit. You get at least close to the money you wanted and I get my item.
    Last edited by Navygreen; 09-20-2011 at 01:18 PM.
    PL - Navygreen
    AL - Viicks (me), Littlesis (my sis)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snub View Post
    I have never cared about the listing fees.
    If you trade in cheaper items, the listing fees are very, very significant.
    I do agree I hate when someone undercuts me a $1, to bad there is not some thing built in which forces you to go at at least 2% lower or something then the least expensive.
    It would be interesting if CS had a "premium listing" option that had a higher listing fee but allowed changing the listing price one or more times. I think it would eliminate some of the undercutting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Singleteddy View Post
    If you trade in cheaper items, the listing fees are very, very significant. It would be interesting if CS had a "premium listing" option that had a higher listing fee but allowed changing the listing price one or more times. I think it would eliminate some of the undercutting.
    Frankly, I would think I was a top 10 seller in PL (not anymore). I don’t mean most money earned I mean most items sold.

I made about 3million gold selling (green) items i bought in the noob town for lvl 10's. Buy for 250/350 in the store and sell for 1999 in the AH.... The listing fee is relevant but just tally it into your profit, i went for quantity. I cornered that market for about 6 months. If I saw someone selling for 400, I would sell for 399… It wasn't the profit i needed, i just wanted them to quit selling my stuff. When they would give up I would raise prices to 1999 even 4999 sometimes. I learned to sell things for 3hrs and only sell two of each at a time max. Every day i sold 10+ helms/armor (sometimes 30+) making small profit from each… it took a lot of time and effort for 3million… but it was better than grinding lol.

Fridays are the big days, I would load up the AH.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,058 Posts

This thread should be renamed into "pro merching discussion"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

Nothing wrong with low balling and undercutting. Capitalism in action.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snub View Post
    Frankly, I would think I was a top 10 seller in PL (not anymore). I don’t mean most money earned I mean most items sold.

I made about 3million gold selling (green) items i bought in the noob town for lvl 10's. Buy for 250/350 in the store and sell for 1999 in the AH.... The listing fee is relevant but just tally it into your profit, i went for quantity. I cornered that market for about 6 months. If I saw someone selling for 400, I would sell for 399… It wasn't the profit i needed, i just wanted them to quit selling my stuff. When they would give up I would raise prices to 1999 even 4999 sometimes. I learned to sell things for 3hrs and only sell two of each at a time max. Every day i sold 10+ helms/armor (sometimes 30+) making small profit from each… it took a lot of time and effort for 3million… but it was better than grinding lol.

Fridays are the big days, I would load up the AH.
    Very, very interesting. I think I remember seeing your name on listings since I started merchanting with low cost green items since I didn't have much money but had a ton of greens.

Yes, that market requires a strong constitution and very different tactics.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    738 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Navygreen View Post
    My point is, low balling on the buyers side is extremely effective when trying to negotiate. I have learned that low balling is exactly what you do FIRST. Especially if they haven't named the price yet. Don't overdo it but you can lowball and show that you have at least SOME money and it really works. Now if the seller hates themselves after the fact, it's on them. They hold the cards, they run the show. They can either say yes or no. And from my experience, I've gotten more yes than no.

Just wanted to use an example. Nothing wrong with this as long as it isnt outrageous when you're low balling.

Well said. Similarly, when I am selling something outside of CS... I will ask for much more than I am actually willing to sell for. Of course this only works when prices are inflated.

Negotiation is the key. Nobody seems to want to do that but want to make some extra cash by not posting their gear on CS.

ATL

AL: Rare (Rogue)/Common (Warrior)/Mythic (Sorcerer)