Thread: Request for a level restriction option when setting up campaigns

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Request for a level restriction option when setting up campaigns

I posted this as a solution in another thread, but cannot remember which thread it was (plus, it was a buried reply).

Any chance the devs can look at providing the ability to set level criteria when setting up dungeons?

It's a pain to play the AO and Skeller campaigns and continously have a level 15 (as an example) repeatedly join. I understand that you don't want to take away the option for people to group together and power level or whatever, but this problem can be really annoying. There are occasions where the same individual joins the game every time, and I've gotten myself killed while booting the person (or, worse, seen the low level get a nice pink when joining).

It would be great if I could set the level criteria when setting up campaigns, and it would be great if I could just set this once and leave it set so I don't have to reset the level restrictions every time I setup a campaign.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

There are probably a half dozen threads on this topic, but it seems people have not been as concerned since the boot option was added. I think it's a good idea, but I honestly find your reasons for the boot's inadequacy kind of weak. If you're in a fight, wait 30 seconds til you're not in a life threatening situation before you boot And what do you mean "worse yet" a noob gets a pink. I can understand you don't like to see it, but really? Seeing someone else get something that has no impact on what you get is worse than dying? How can a level 15 repeatedly join? Once booted you can't rejoin. I would like to see level restrictions. I think it would be better than the boot, and it was my understanding that it was planned at least at some point, but honestly there is not a strong argument here for why the boot is not getting the job done. I only dislike it because I don't like booting people
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6183&dateline=1275696  601
    Quote Originally Posted by conradin View Post
    To doubt Royce, is to doubt your sanity...
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinkTastical View Post
    Royce is right, You are WRONG. Live with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Royce View Post
    There are probably a half dozen threads on this topic, but it seems people have not been as concerned since the boot option was added. I think it's a good idea, but I honestly find your reasons for the boots inadequacy kind of weak. If you're in a fight, wait 30 seconds til you're not in a life threatening situation before you boot And what do you mean "worse yet" a noob gets a pink. I can understand you don't like to see it, but really? Seeing someone else get something that has no impact on what you get is worse than dying? How can a level 15 repeatedly join? Once booted you can't rejoin. I would like to see level restrictions. I think it would be better than the boot, and it was my understanding that it was planned at least at some point, but honestly there is not a strong argument here for why the boot is not getting the job done. I only dislike it because I don't like booting people
    Fair enough ;-)

Basically, I'd rather not have to manage booting people because of level. I like PUGin' it in this game because it's the only way to meet good, competent players. I'd rather not lose an opportunity to meet a good player of adequate level for the board because some level 15 decides it would be cool to join a board designed for level 35+'s.

I thought it was a fair request with very little down side, and it's not terribly difficult to build a filter like that (it could be as simple as making it so the game doesn't show for "play searches" for people of the incorrect level)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Huzzah View Post
    I thought it was a fair request with very little down side, and it's not terribly difficult to build a filter like that (it could be as simple as making it so the game doesn't show for "play searches" for people of the incorrect level)
    Since PvP games are already restricted by level, it seems to someone like me who knows little about how these things work, that it should be fairly easy to implement. I just think if you want STS to prioritize something like this, then a good reason why the boot is not getting the job done is necessary. Personally, as I said, I just don't like giving people the boot, and will not boot without first asking them politely to leave and explaining the situation (yes it should be obvious but these are noobs in many cases lol). All that is quite time-consuming, so yeah at the end of the day I am very much in favor of game-creator set level restrictions.
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6183&dateline=1275696  601

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Royce View Post
    Since PvP games are already restricted by level, it seems to someone like me who knows little about how these things work, that it should be fairly easy to implement. I just think if you want STS to prioritize something like this, then a good reason why the boot is not getting the job done is necessary. Personally, as I said, I just don't like giving people the boot, and will not boot without first asking them politely to leave and explaining the situation (yes it should be obvious but these are noobs in many cases lol). All that is quite time-consuming, so yeah at the end of the day I am very much in favor of game-creator set level restrictions.
    You're too nice =P I'm way too pragmatic for that; if the person joins and isn't the right level, I cold-boot. Same for people who run off and start attacking mobs that the group isn't focused on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Huzzah View Post
    You're too nice =P I'm way too pragmatic for that; if the person joins and isn't the right level, I cold-boot. Same for people who run off and start attacking mobs that the group isn't focused on.
    I am too nice. I just leave when I start seeing the latter, but that's really not fair to the other members of the party. Yesterday, I was in a group that took about 10 minutes to kill a boss. I was just staring in amazement as this 2-hand sword bear just kept chopping away at random mobs as if he was not aware there was a boss everyone else was trying to kill. Perhaps an intelligence or at least common sense restriction for joining games would be even more useful. I honestly would have rather had a level 15 who knew what he was doing in the group than that high level bear that didn't know what he was doing

Guardian of Alterra FluffNStuff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts

As long as the game is not fill, and the noob is not begging for mine or someone else' drops I will see if they can hang. One thing I won't do is rev someone 10 or more levels off the expected. If you think you can handle the level, then best get ready to keep walking back from the spawn.

The Hundred Acre Legends:
    HunnySniper - HunnyStorm
    Please Fill out the End Game Pet Survey!|||||| What's With that Shield Icon?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I really do like this idea, it leaves for an option to have it on and off depending on your flavor and opinion on having the lower level players joining your game. I usually explain to the player why I'm booting them but it can get pretty annoying.

Druc - 45 Archer | Melkhior - 41 Tank | ImaMonsta - 30 Healer
    Member of Venom - GFX/Programmer
    Venom-Guild.com | Pocket Legends Item Database

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This ones in the suggestion box, it may be low priority, but it's certainly a nice touch, no doubt about it :-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bmc85uk View Post
    This ones in the suggestion box, it may be low priority, but it's certainly a nice touch, no doubt about it :-)
    Thanks for adding BMC; much appreciated!