Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your Complete Reliance on Engineers is Unfortunately Unfair

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    561 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sabermage View Post
    As an engineer, my resposne to thank you for revving is "It's the job".

-Saber
    As an engineer myself, being quite a good one infact, all i like is a thz....or pay me with purples...or I wont heal you lol jk.
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=54483&dateline=131136  6901
    PL-Ghosts | SL-DL-AL- Ghost | SL-DL-AL-Octavos

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I think the Sloucho campaign emphasizes group split and aggro problems unlike other areas in the game. There are many places, for example, where a mistep or a split team can aggro multiples groups of enemies, or hard-hitting turrets and enemies at the same time. I constantly see one player take a left into one group of enemies, but then another player goes straight into a second group. I cannot follow both, and I cannot heal them fast enough when they each come running back with 5 enemies on their tails. Or I will see a player run into turrets, and instead of hugging the wall, he will aggro 4 enemies and the turrets. Then he just stands there fighting all 6. Well, he's dead...

There were a couple places you could over-aggro or split in Delta 7 and Numa Prime, but not like Sloucho. The Director splits up the group too. There is no way to heal everyone at the same time if each player chooses to stand next to an acting platform on opposite sides of the room!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just a few things I'd like to point out that engineers can do to avoid themselves a hassle and not be rude at the same time

-If you are a DPS spec Engi, say so upon entrance to a pug, or even remind your guildmates/friends "Hey I am dps"

-If the party wipes YES EVERYONE should run back. If your not reviving someone because they made a mistake your wrong.

-If you don't have revive, YOU SHOULD! I'm pretty sure your DPS builds still have empathy...

-If people blame you because they die, live with it.
    --If you know the player is under equipped, or isn't helping him/herself, oh well. You did what you were supposed to on them to own it.

Remember, its not always about what is said to you about matters you can't control. It's about how you handle the situation. IF in a group you are continually not reviving someone because they are being rude, you are punishing the group because of how you feel. That extra DPS or back up tank, while being rude, is also(most likely) making the run go smoother. What did everyone else do to deserve to have to use more pots, waste time waiting, etc. etc. Up until this game I have always been a healer/support. Dating back to EQ, WoW, GW, sum f2p PC MMO's, and even in PL my chantress is support specced. I know where your coming from but its far more important to ignore one ignorant players mouth than punish an entire party.

How many of these ranting engineers took the time to explain to some of these complaining players about how Empathy works, or the other tasks an engineer performs? I was duo running a map with another OP, he had lurched an enemy to lengths of resetting and pulling more mobs on quite a few occasions. I was upset, but I calmly(as calm as I could I'll be honest) explained "hey, be more careful how you lurch. It's a good move but you have to watch where you are pushing them. IN certain situations you should look to just push them into a wall and move away while they still kd." S/he didn't respond but his lurch's were noticably better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MGLeet View Post
    ** I have to wonder where other classes get the idea that, just because we're Engineers, we have Revive. It's not an unspoken rule that we have to have it, we can allocate our Skill Points however we please.
    For much the same reason that Engineers assume I'm going to carry dual pistols and place points in skills for the highest damage and quickest target take-out I can manage and that Commandos are going to use an AOE weapon and/or every taunt-including skill they have to hold aggro. Something about teamwork and the survivability of the group as a whole. Just as it's not mandatory for an Engie to put points in a skill that helps others, it's not mandatory that Commandos try to take the aggro off you or for me or another Op to target whatever's trying to toast your biscuit. It's nice, though, and I like being nice.
    Rauen Haikus' dex 60 sammich-maker; Grievousangel Haikus' 58 Mage/Butler, Jeffrey; Diffie Wounded's 55 drink-mixer; Ghazaal Noobmigo's 47 cheerleader. SL: Rauen, 36 Op & Bod's turkey baster; Yosinabe 36 Engi; Chedaka 36 Comm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts

Some great pointers hopefully alot of people read this and learn from their gameplay to improve the effectiveness of the group!

That said..

Engi's that do not have revive or chose to be a DPS Engi without revive are dead to me and I would even consider not running with them in a whole.. may sound harsh but its the truth..

For instance..

When a Com like myself (love tanking and esp controlling agro on Numa levels) jumps in all guns and skills blazing into a big mob or boss as needed/expected! and say an Op in the group dies.. and the Engi says sorry im a DPS so the Op respawns (not a problem so far) and because without that damage output from an Op its too much for a Com so they die.. by the time both the Com and Op get back to the group what do you think the outcome will be? I guarantee all others will be dead! Unless they use 100s of stim and power and this still not enough to keep up with the enemies damage output then its game over.. boss resets and all players have alot on animosity towards this DPS Engi..

On the Flip-Side..

Same situation Com goes in all guns blazing, taunting etc.. and the Op dies as the aggro is overwhelming (like in sloucho its hard to keep any all focused on one char) the Engi sees that second and revives.. Op spams stim to get back to full health and we take down that giant mob/boss in one go and also get massive rewards Vanity Pinks you name it.. uhhhumm anyway you get the idea right?

I know which situation I would choose

Still trying to comprehend how 2k+ can die from Barrels O.o

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BodMaster View Post
    Some great pointers hopefully alot of people read this and learn from their gameplay to improve the effectiveness of the group!

That said..

Engi's that do not have revive or chose to be a DPS Engi without revive are dead to me and I would even consider not running with them in a whole.. may sound harsh but its the truth..

For instance..

When a Com like myself (love tanking and esp controlling agro on Numa levels) jumps in all guns and skills blazing into a big mob or boss as needed/expected! and say an Op in the group dies.. and the Engi says sorry im a DPS so the Op respawns (not a problem so far) and because without that damage output from an Op its too much for a Com so they die.. by the time both the Com and Op get back to the group what do you think the outcome will be? I guarantee all others will be dead! Unless they use 100s of stim and power and this still not enough to keep up with the enemies damage output then its game over.. boss resets and all players have alot on animosity towards this DPS Engi..

On the Flip-Side..

Same situation Com goes in all guns blazing, taunting etc.. and the Op dies as the aggro is overwhelming (like in sloucho its hard to keep any all focused on one char) the Engi sees that second and revives.. Op spams stim to get back to full health and we take down that giant mob/boss in one go and also get massive rewards Vanity Pinks you name it.. uhhhumm anyway you get the idea right?

I know which situation I would choose
    I'm all for situation number 1
    Especially if you are the com that just happens to pass away
    LegalShet - 30 Engi
    LethalShet - 13 Oper

My Pet Monkey Gorda
    Please no feeding.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LegalShet View Post
    I'm all for situation number 1
    Especially if you are the com that just happens to pass away
    Ouch.. you forgot your evil laugh though? Hope you been practicing? =/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ouch.. you forgot your evil laugh though? Hope you been practicing? =/
    I'm sick -_- so atm it sounds even worse lol
    LegalShet - 30 Engi
    LethalShet - 13 Oper

My Pet Monkey Gorda
    Please no feeding.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LegalShet View Post
    I'm sick -_- so atm it sounds even worse lol
    Awwwwe hope I didn't... actually hope I gave you my germs :O

Im poorly been like it last 3 days *man flu* plus can't see straight so my eyes are killing me reason why im not on SL and here instead..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Draco Mikato View Post
    Dedicated engineers will revive and heal without you having to say something rude. Thank your engineers. In my opinion, we are the most imperative luxuries, if not necessities in a party.
    *sniffle* Thanks man!! You talked me off the ledge!!

MimeRifle-Comm/40 | Radaroreilly-Eng/40
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." G.B. Shaw

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Awwwwe hope I didn't... actually hope I gave you my germs :O

Im poorly been like it last 3 days *man flu* plus can't see straight so my eyes are killing me reason why im not on SL and here instead..
    yea ive been off SL for the last almost 2 days now -_-
    not feeling to well (:

I'm always off topic -_-
    sorry guys
    LegalShet - 30 Engi
    LethalShet - 13 Oper

My Pet Monkey Gorda
    Please no feeding.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Evl1312 View Post
    Engineers are overrated to me. Yes I thank you for your healing effects but they are just kinda there. I never really wanted to play as a healer because I don't wanna get yelled at like u claim people do. I'll stick to my DPS and tanking
    Exactly the kind of player the OP is talking about. If you don't want to play the healer, at least treat the ones that do play the healer with respect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I appreciate every rev, and will thank an engineer if he/she is going above and beyond, but no more than I would give props to any other player who was doing a good job. Every class is a necessity. Engineers shouldn't think too highly of themselves. Yes, you can revive other players, but without those other players, you would be fairly useless. In fact, I think a commando (for instance) can get along without an engineer much easier than an engineer could without a commando. Always remember that when you rev someone, you're also helping yourself, not just them. The whole idea is each class compliments the other classes more or less equally.
    Last edited by McBain; 09-20-2011 at 07:03 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Mcbain ftw with the level head XD. A lot has been said here and I, sadly, agree with it all. Before, my comment about not revving players at miner had to do with teaching people how to do it right so, hopefully, they would in turn spread the word. Otherwise, I rev even if all they do is stand there, lag can be a real harsh mistress sometimes.
    You may call me bits or giga...just don't call me at dinner time
    Gigabits-engineer(main)-Bitsoarmor-commando-bitsopain-operative-Bitsohelp-engineer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

As an engineer I take my healing/reving/debuffing very seriously. I also like to kill things :-) I'm not the strongest fighter...I understand that, I know that my main "job" is to heal/debuff. With that being said, I'd like to leave you with these parting words...a party that stays together lives forever. When the party splits it makes it harder for me to heal/buff/revive. Those are just my two cents :-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    95 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kamikazees:421683
    I think the Sloucho campaign emphasizes group split and aggro problems unlike other areas in the game. There are many places, for example, where a mistep or a split team can aggro multiples groups of enemies, or hard-hitting turrets and enemies at the same time. I constantly see one player take a left into one group of enemies, but then another player goes straight into a second group. I cannot follow both, and I cannot heal them fast enough when they each come running back with 5 enemies on their tails. Or I will see a player run into turrets, and instead of hugging the wall, he will aggro 4 enemies and the turrets. Then he just stands there fighting all 6. Well, he's dead...

There were a couple places you could over-aggro or split in Delta 7 and Numa Prime, but not like Sloucho. The Director splits up the group too. There is no way to heal everyone at the same time if each player chooses to stand next to an acting platform on opposite sides of the room!
    Well said, i agree on all points.
    Proud Co-Leader of Infinite Union
    Infinite Union forums

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Evl1312 View Post

Oh and I've never seen an engineer use a defense buff...aside from the one that has the 3 person figures on it.
    Umm, that is our only Defense Buff??
    PL - BreadKeeperzz - 55 Bear -=- BreadKeeper - 53 Mage -=- SirKeeper 10 Bear
    SL - Keeper - Commando -=- SirKeeper - Engie
    Guild - Atomic Legends

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default commando

I am a commando and I have my max armor and use stims but still always die. So I always have to have an eng.
    Starsavior Commando | Spamhealer Engineer | Inventory Operative

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

Everybody....needs somebody.... sometime... doobie doobie doo...

MimeRifle-Comm/40 | Radaroreilly-Eng/40
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." G.B. Shaw

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Look you can only do as much as your class will let you.
    I as a commando i dont rely on the heals to keep me alive with 7+ mobs on me i use stims to help keep me up.
    Ive seen alot of commandos when i run on my op hang back and let engineer or op tank while they auto attack. But as long as your healing and buffing you cant go wrong.

ZERO COMMANDO
    Follow me on Twitter @Zero_SLegends