Thread: Thoughts from a new (returning) player...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts

Default Thoughts from a new (returning) player...

OK, so I have decided to return to the game, and level up a new toon (rogue of course). In the past, when a new expansion was released, for revenue generation, reaching cap as soon as possible was a priority, so it was a race to open all maps in the expansion, then reach cap by farming KM3 or WT4. Once capped, the best money to be made was historically farming elites for the most desirable weapons in the first few weeks of the expansions release.

This time, with experience on my side, and no pressing reason to hurry, I have leveled the old fashioned way....by playing the game and following the story arc.

At this point, I am level 35, severely undergeared, broke, and out of pots, but have begun working through the Glintstone maps. I have reached a few interesting conclusions that I did not pick up on my first time around, namely, from levels 1 to about 31, XP is relatively easy to gain through quests that grant 600-1,200 XP. Unfortunately, after level 31, specifically, in the Tindirin expansion, XP is difficult to earn as there are no quests that provide assistance.

I would have thought that farming Brackenridge elites would have provided better XP yields, but was disappointed that this is not the case. It seems that the best bang for the buck is to return to KM3 to gain XP....not follow the story arc.

Second, I have seen that gear availability is unreliable, with the exception of some twink brackets, and in those cases, the better gear is grossly overpriced relative to income generation potential for the level (for instance, what income generating loot is available at lv23???). With some smart purchases along the way, I have managed to stretch out my gear purchases as I have increased in level. As funny as it may sound, until I hit level 33, I was still using a lv13 Living Spirit helm, because high quality gear is prohibitively expensive, and the stat bump for low end legendaries didn't warrant the not-so-insignificant gold outlay. Every 10 levels or so, I have bough cheap legendary weapons, and at lv26, purchased some good rings and amulets, which I am still using.

In closing, here are some suggestions I would implement to improve the leveling experience for new players.

1) Continue to offer XP granting quests in Tindirin and beyond. These XP quests were a great help through Kraken and Shuyal in particular.
    2) Provide non-tradeable/sellable rewards for quest completion that offers above average legendary quality gear to assist you as you level up (something akin to Dragonbone gear would be appropriate at each expansion).
    3) Introduce some "rare drops" that could make low-level farming profitable
    4) Create a "disassembly" function that grants crafting materials from the junk legendaries that flood the market at all levels. This would increase the value of these junk legendaries, and the resulting crafting could pump some much needed income into these low level farming areas.
    5) Build in some "grinding" type quests like we had in Nordr, where after 100 boss kills, you get something that could provide some decent income.

I'll expand on my thoughts as I progress through the game, but these are my thoughts thus far. Very interesting going through the game again. There are a lot of changes that have been made that I appreciate, so I look forward to exploring the new elite world (when I grind my way to cap).

AL: Kalizzaa
    Retired Officer of <Elite Runners>
    Elite Chronicles: Solo guides for elite maps - No longer maintained

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GoodSyntax For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Welcome back bro :-)

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts

There are many daily quests that pay nice xp. Shuyal alone pays out 1800xp each day. I used cheap legendary gear all the way to cap lvl and had no problems in any map aside from Rengol up. Normal Dead city maps drop arcane chests which sell for 4m+ but of course they are very rare. Farming jewels in Tindrin maps and up can pay off decently, as well as farming teeth.

Hope some of this helped. And nice to have you back! I remember reading some of your guides to running elites. Always have been a big fan! Just curious why you are not just using your old rogue?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Korabiv For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,353 Posts

Welcome back !!
    Avy
    12-2012

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Korabiv View Post
    There are many daily quests that pay nice xp. Shuyal alone pays out 1800xp each day. I used cheap legendary gear all the way to cap lvl and had no problems in any map aside from Rengol up. Normal Dead city maps drop arcane chests which sell for 4m+ but of course they are very rare. Farming jewels in Tindrin maps and up can pay off decently, as well as farming teeth.

Hope some of this helped. And nice to have you back! I remember reading some of your guides to running elites. Always have been a big fan! Just curious why you are not just using your old rogue?
    I agree, that Shuyal dailies will be how I will level up, but my point was that you have to jump around in the story arc to progress, which, to me seems a bit counterintuitive.

I have been farming jewels, but it isn't much of a revenue stream, considering you have to craft weak jewels or better to make any sort of income put of them.

I didn't know about the arcane chest dropping....must be something that was introduced while I was away. Considering I haven't heard of them, and none of my guildies ever farm there tells me all I need to know about the drop rate.

Thanks for the info, it does help!

And, I deleted all of my old toons....tanks, sorcs, rogues....both end game and twink. I wasn't expecting to be back, but I miss the game and the friends I made here.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    77 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GoodSyntax View Post
    I agree, that Shuyal dailies will be how I will level up, but my point was that you have to jump around in the story arc to progress, which, to me seems a bit counterintuitive.

I have been farming jewels, but it isn't much of a revenue stream, considering you have to craft weak jewels or better to make any sort of income put of them.

I didn't know about the arcane chest dropping....must be something that was introduced while I was away. Considering I haven't heard of them, and none of my guildies ever farm there tells me all I need to know about the drop rate.

Thanks for the info, it does help!

And, I deleted all of my old toons....tanks, sorcs, rogues....both end game and twink. I wasn't expecting to be back, but I miss the game and the friends I made here.
    If you do all the dailies for xp (kraag, nordr, shuyal, Kraken), leveling isn't as terrible as it used to be. Of course there is always going to be a grind but these xp quest made it a little more do able. Theres a sticky in the "player guide" section that has all the quest that pay out xp and I always tell new guildies to do them all.

Yeah jewel farming isn't alot of gold but its at least something, especially if you dont have a lep. I used to run Tindrin Wilds over and over as it granted xp from killing mobs, jewel drops, and occasional teeth. The sack of teeth you can buy for 30 teeth can be sold for a good amount of gold.

And yeah arcane chest drop is new. Has been only in game for a month or 2 I think. Drop rate is very low so not many people farm it. Kind of like playing the lottery and winning if you are into that sorta thing.

Probably the best way to earn income nowa days is to farm events whenever they come around. You probably missed the egg event which you could earn millions of gold in a couple of days. Harvest event should be here soon followed by haloween so plan on farming those like crazy when they are released.

Also, idk how much you pay attention to the auction but there is always money to be made there. Most of the time it is not alot but if you learn values of items you can make a fair amount of gold. Other then that farming lockeds is about the only source of income I can think of for any person not capped.

Bummer about all your accounts being deleted. I actually did some what of the same thing and came back mid July. You should be able to pick up the game quickly again as you have past experience. If not, I'm sure there will be many of people more then willing to help you along your new journey.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts

Welcome back!!

Star light, star bright...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    541 Posts

You're in for a lot of quests once you hit the 47-56 lvl gauntlet :/
    Great to see you back though!
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts

I'm blessed to have many friends, many who are willing to donate gear/gold, but I am trying to experience this game as a true noob would.

It's easy to shrug off the struggle of a new player when you are fully geared, and have millions in stash. I am just trying to see if it is possible to get there farming as a "normal" player would. Of course, once I am geared and capped, all bets are off as I am assuming I will return to my normal elite farm mode, but until then, this experience is giving me a greater appreciation for what mainstream legendary players go through.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    589 Posts

Kaliiiii! Good to have you back!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Welcome Back

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    935 Posts

It's great to see you around again and it's truly noble that you are climbing your way back up solely with what the game gives you. Regardless, had i anything of use forageable from my current financial standing, I'd put it out there for you to use. Welcome back Kalizzaa

IGN: Łʊƈɨƒɛʀ
    Join the Discord Community!
    Arcane Legends Discord

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Zylx For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    146 Posts

Welcome back.
    As for leveling, it was changed shortly after your decision to restart.
    I made a new character as well last Friday, and was leveling faster than I can go though campaigns (ok, I admit, I used a 600xp pack). I reached lv 36 or so before I even finished the nordar campaign.
    Also, they've included free gears every few level now as the player levels up (up until lv 40) which I think should help the new players out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

I didnt read it all because its so long, So many replies "Welcome Back" so i will reply too. Welcome back!!

Error 404 not found

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Wrong. 2.4k xp daily

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Welcome back enjoy!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Welcome back i am also a recurring player stop at lvl 36 den when i came back after a few years i power levelled up in the double exp event to 56

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts

Welcome Back !!!