Thread: Shields Up! Observations of Shields & Holographic Displays

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

Heal tanking? What about support Engineers who heal and Protection the party, and must survive to Res the party? This seems to be surprisingly absent in the guide.

And suggesting rifles for Operatives? Um what is so bad about dual pistols? Please discuss the comparison better.

Also would be nice to know how much damage reduction each Holo Shield gives, and what the difference in damage reduction is between the two (Str for 30 and Int for 28). I have a Str shield and wondering how much damage reduction I'd love if I trade it for the Int shield.
    Last edited by bronislav84; 09-22-2011 at 10:43 AM.

AL Kar | PL/SL Karaai | DL/AL Karai | SL Karaii | AL Karwar | PL Squishybirdie | PL Gotnorange

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    561 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aperfecte View Post
    Now I understand. Thanks for the info and congrats on being a Star Guard.

I think you really deserve it for being so helpful
    Quote Originally Posted by bronislav84 View Post
    Heal tanking? What about support Engineers who heal and Protection the party, and must survive to Res the party? This seems to be surprisingly absent in the guide.

And suggesting rifles for Operatives? Um what is so bad about dual pistols? Please discuss the companion better.

Also would be nice to know how much damage reduction each Holo Shield gives, and what the difference in damage reduction is between the two (Str for 30 and Int for 28). I have a Str shield and wondering how much damage reduction I'd love if I trade it for the Int shield.
    Aperfecte, thanks but showing no bias to ppl is my greatest trait....everyone deserves help.

Karaai, Im a enginTank, I heal support....and have a big gun so i dont rely on other engineers for there support
    but support from the whole team.....hence, when you do a run with me you dont die but if ppl dont help....im a goner lol
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=54483&dateline=131136  6901
    PL-Ghosts | SL-DL-AL- Ghost | SL-DL-AL-Octavos

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Not at all. If you have a competent commando as a tank (and you know how not to pull too much aggro by overhealing), you don't really need a shield. If you do not have a competent tank, then having a shield and pistol combo may give you some extra survivability.

A change in 1 damage point roughly equates to 1 extra HP healed per tick of Empathy. You're currently looking at healing 3 HP less per tick (since 9 INT will likely kick up your damage).

When a dodge-granting shield comes out, it will be the hands-down winner.

And suggesting rifles for Operatives? Um what is so bad about dual pistols? Please discuss the comparison better.
    You may hit more and (and thus crit) more often, but doing less damage works against you due to armor. I recommend rifles because most of my Op's damage kick comes from my skills. I also like Rifles because they have slightly longer range. It makes things easier to kite.

A pittance of stat increases won't noticeably decrease your damage taken, unless you get enough of a stat bonus to cross the threshold of an extra % to dodge. This is why I typically look at Platinum weapons and armor before I look at drops.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IBNobody View Post
    Not at all. If you have a competent commando as a tank (and you know how not to pull too much aggro by overhealing), you don't really need a shield. If you do not have a competent tank, then having a shield and pistol combo may give you some extra survivability.

A change in 1 damage point roughly equates to 1 extra HP healed per tick of Empathy. You're currently looking at healing 3 HP less per tick (since 9 INT will likely kick up your damage).

When a dodge-granting shield comes out, it will be the hands-down winner.
    Soooooooo, you generally recommend a shield, then? I dislike dieing and like to be around to res people.

And unless you can get 50% permanent dodge, I currently don't see dodge as viable in either game. I prefer straight up damage reduction by armor, because it's always there. On the other hand, if you don't dodge, you take full damage.
    You may hit more and (and thus crit) more often, but doing less damage works against you due to armor. I recommend rifles because most of my Op's damage kick comes from my skills. I also like Rifles because they have slightly longer range. It makes things easier to kite.
    While this is sound advice, considering rifles are a generic weapon and lack Dex, I think I will stick to the tried and true dual pistols, sorry.
    A pittance of stat increases won't noticeably decrease your damage taken, unless you get enough of a stat bonus to cross the threshold of an extra % to dodge. This is why I typically look at Platinum weapons and armor before I look at drops.
    As per my comment about dodge above, I prefer straight up image reduction. I'm sorry I wasn't clear. I was wondering if you could tell us if the 10 armor difference between the level 28 Int shield and the level 30 Str shield actually causes you to take less damage with the level 30 shield, and how much less. Like, specifically? Numbers are nice. Cause if the extra 10 armor doesn't actually decrease damage taken, I'd much rather prefer the Int shield. Was looking for clarification.
    Last edited by bronislav84; 09-23-2011 at 01:55 AM.

AL Kar | PL/SL Karaai | DL/AL Karai | SL Karaii | AL Karwar | PL Squishybirdie | PL Gotnorange

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Soooooooo, you generally recommend a shield, then? I dislike dieing and like to be around to res people.

And unless you can get 50% permanent dodge, I currently don't see dodge as viable in either game. I prefer straight up damage reduction by armor, because it's always there. On the other hand, if you don't dodge, you take full damage.While this is sound advice, considering rifles are a generic weapon and lack Dex, I think I will stick to the tried and true dual pistols, sorry.As per my comment about dodge above, I prefer straight up image reduction. I'm sorry I wasn't clear. I was wondering if you could tell us if the 10 armor difference between the level 28 Int shield and the level 30 Str shield actually causes you to take less damage with the level 30 shield, and how much less. Like, specifically? Numbers are nice. Cause if the extra 10 armor doesn't actually decrease damage taken, I'd much rather prefer the Int shield. Was looking for clarification.
    Have you read Kamakaziis' thread? 10 points of armor may negate 1 point of damage from the guardian, off of a strike of 85-175. You won't miss that 1 point of damage. The only reason why you should consider the STR shield as a pure INT char is that the STR might put you over a threshold for an extra damage point or extra crit/hit/dodge.

Dodge is better in this game, by far.
    1. Dodge works independently of armor; you usually don't have to choose "more armor" or "more dodge", unless you are comparing different level equipment sets.
    2. Dodge provides complete damage negation.
    3. Armor doesn't count for much - you need a significant amount to see the same benefit as dodge.

The current Engineer platinum set provides 20% dodge. That means you'll only be hit 80% of the time. If there was ever a suit that was worth the platinum, this would be it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

The only reason why you should consider the STR shield as a pure INT char is that the STR might put you over a threshold for an extra damage point or extra crit/hit/dodge.
    It doesn't work like that. All the numbers are floats underneath. If you do 1.9 damage three times, enemy will suffer 5.7 getting the damage to show on screen as 2, will increase by three points, but 0.3.