Thread: Tanking: Does it even matter?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Tanking: Does it even matter?

Um well now I know that hitting enter after putting in a title posts the thread instead of going to the text box...sorry for sarcastic title that was just the first draft of it.

Soooo onto the real part of this.

After tanking my way through Slouch for the 5th time I have to ask: are tanks in this game supposed to have to madly spam skills to keep engies from pulling off us? Now matter how hard I try the second after I cast a taunt it seems that the mobs are off attacking someone else. This could be due to the fact that I'm running with lvl 30's at lvl 25-26(numa runs go just fine with no issues of players pulling off me) but even tossing out all 3 of my taunts on one boss wont keep their focus for longer than a few seconds. I'll now go into my skill build so that anyone better than me can tell me where I'm going wrong as I have tried many of the builds listed on the forums, from the W.A.L.L to the recent GW, GS, get em on the wall, and Sing build, but just cannot seem to hold agro for crap. So now here I am posting my build for the world to see. Hope you like it and post comments.

build:
    2-5-0-0
    6-0-4-6
    0-0-0(dont have BB yet but it will have 6 when done for combo)

Rotation and logic behind choices:

Run in pop GW to gather up mobs to start off. Hit GS to deal first AOE and get mobs under control, followed by FH as a filler for extra dmg, and rounding out with NS for AOE and knockdown. By the time I've gone through the skills once with proper spacing The CD on GW is up and rdy to go again for the next mobs. I have KR to regen mana if necessary.

Gravity Well-6: I take GW for the dmg and pull effect. Since I use a HW on mobs and rifle on bosses the pull gets them where I need them for splash dmg

Graviton Slam-6: Solid dmg AOE skill even though its effect is suited for kiters or pvp. Best used when clustered as it appears the AOE is centered on the target like Sing so I use it after GW.

Force Hammer-2: I put two points in bec the base dmg is really bad IMO but the 5 sec CD is nice because you can use it in between the 8 sec CDs to keep one of those up at all times. I really just treat this as a filler skill. Might reduce to one point in future.

Neutron Stomp-5: Solid dmg, AOE, and knockdown. I choose NS over Sing because of back in my WoW days. In WoW there aren't many pushback skills and they are considered taboo in dungeons and raids because it messes up clusters and makes AOE more difficult. I have also come to find that Sing can be difficult to properly use(as the build I tested from the forums yesterday used it heavily) sometimes when you have a group that is higher level than the tank trying to GW the mobs to a wall can be tricky what with 5 people just spamming skills left and right, knocking mobs all over the map, stunning mobs the tank is targeting forcing him to re-target, ect... NS may do less dmg but it is more easily controlled than Sing, has a shorter CD, and no cast time.

Kinetic Reservoir-4: The reason for KR is so that I can keep going and going and going and going and going. After running a few tests I found that even from a revive having this maxed was a waste of points. At level 4 you can have low mana and keep spamming this between mobs and you'll be fine. 3 points did produce some issues with long hauls where I would let my mana drop low so I'ma keep at 4.

This completes my build. Try it out if you'd like I'm open to any critique but keep trolling to the minimum plz. HMU in game on any of my toons if your looking for one more.
    Last edited by Rob Prose; 09-22-2011 at 11:52 AM.
    Toons:
    Bigtokes: 25 commando
    Bigsmoke: 16 operative
    Bigheals: 17 engineer