Thread: Improvements to boot

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts

Default Improvements to boot

Ok here's my suggestion to enhance booting. When you tap the player, and load up their profile the boot button is visible. My enhancement goes like this...

When you tap boot instead of getting the keyboard load up and then having to type a message to the user, you instead have a couple of already written user friendly options (a bit like the load out screen, similar format) on the screen after you tap the boot button:

- this game is full, sorry!
    - your too low level, sorry!

Then you could also have the ability to have two further editable options underneath these two which you could edit and use for your own personal use as templates, or to type a personal message like the existing process.

I believe this would stop the petty reasons now such as "LOL" and others including my personal fav "N". I believe the current boot process is unsporting and sets the wrong example for new players who are eager to play.

I also believe it will help make the boot process easier, I believe one of the reasons for the blunt short reasons for boots is because of all the action going on and the host is keen to keep the group together. When others jump in it can cause problems to the speed of the group.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PatsoeGamer For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts

Cool idea.
    +2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

+1 i like how you are thinking of the new players Many high lvl players are just very mean and boot a new player for no reason without explaining and the new players just want to join in and have fun. This would at least tell them why they are getting booted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

+1. Great idea.

I think even if all 4-5 options could be edited it would still be a massive improvement over "b", whatever that means!!
    YYZBird-115, YYZBear-115, YYZMage-115

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts

Maybe even a character minimum to keep the one letter boots away? I can see the messages now: "jashfdajcomwaoien" ...at least it's more than "q" or "x"

Proud Member of Eclipse
    PL: Rocshana[main, lvl 75]
    AL: Roc [warrior] with my trusty puppy Crescent

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts

Maybe we could have unlockable boot options! Once you boot x number of people or clear x number of maps you get a new boot slogan! Maybe at the end we can get the all known "n"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

i tried booting myself the other day...does it not work anymore?
    i always thot it would be funny to boot myself with the reason as "GO TO SLEEP!"

But in any case when im farming for scaled items i love this message: "youre too high...go sober up"
    PL - Eznite, Tachmonite, Adullam, Kelach
    SL - Adino

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yea i always feel bad when i boot new players but i simply d ont have the energy and time to really tell them the reason cause it takes too long to type

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Thumbs up Love the essential idea

How funny - I came to the forums just to suggest almost exactly that! +1. The variation suggested by "The Metaconcert" (my PL guild, though the suggestion applies to both SL and PL - where's the 'applies to both games suggestions' forum?) is having ONLY a set of customizable phrases, just like you do for chat, you can select from when booting. (I don't get what 'game is full' is supposed to mean - if I joined, the game wasn't full - do you actually mean 'your spot is reserved [for someone who's not here]?')

I don't want to have only 2 customizable phrases and if there were 2 canned phrases like you suggested I wouldn't pick those 2. I much prefer my own mix of phrases that bluntly (but not abusively) state why I'm booting.

My standard boot phrases would likely be along the lines of:

1. Play or leave, sorry
    2. Not helping / poor teamwork
    3. Need to work on your taunt/stomp skills
    4. Abusive/offensive players not welcome

I haven't had that many scatter bears plague me lately (love this thread: Guide to being a good scatter bear ) so I might replace #3 with "Don't have time to type boot reason".

CaeserSalad (spelled wrong on purpose to make it MY name) - lvl. 58 Int. Mage, GM of 'The Metaconcert' / Nyx - lvl. 18 Int. Eng, GM of 'Watch How I Soar' (We love you Wash!)
    (Other avatars names withheld cuz I'm sringy with my secrets.)

Quote Originally Posted by patsoe View Post
    Ok here's my suggestion to enhance booting. When you tap the player, and load up their profile the boot button is visible. My enhancement goes like this...

When you tap boot instead of getting the keyboard load up and then having to type a message to the user, you instead have a couple of already written user friendly options (a bit like the load out screen, similar format) on the screen after you tap the boot button:

- this game is full, sorry!
    - your too low level, sorry!

Then you could also have the ability to have two further editable options underneath these two which you could edit and use for your own personal use as templates, or to type a personal message like the existing process.

I believe this would stop the petty reasons now such as "LOL" and others including my personal fav "N". I believe the current boot process is unsporting and sets the wrong example for new players who are eager to play.

I also believe it will help make the boot process easier, I believe one of the reasons for the blunt short reasons for boots is because of all the action going on and the host is keen to keep the group together. When others jump in it can cause problems to the speed of the group.
    Last edited by n00b13st; 10-01-2011 at 03:23 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

I'm sorry, I've seen more noobpocalypses than 'senior rage moments'. I have some fairly high level avatars (my main is CaeserSalad, lvl. 58 mage) in both games but I play multiple e-mail accounts and have some very low level avatars as well. Just in the last two days of playing some low level avatars with my guildmate I've seen a mage blow up barrels beside my guildmate - repeatedly (was it not an accident?), a bear that rather than fight was just going around opening chests, several players who just stood there - either right after joining or after moving part way to the action, etc. When I was playing hosted I did boot one of those with "." because I didn't want guildmate and I to die while I typed a reason but I don't think I was mean at all.

I think sometimes it may come across as mean when the motivation for booting is "sorry, your playing is weak and I'm here to build my character, not die for yours."

I won't deny that some players are mean - see my other post about guildie being booted with reason "Idiot" - just not sure about "many" or the combined qualifier "many high level players". There are mean players and they are not just high level - when I learn this about them I don't play with them again. (Just like I avoid those who seem to think shadow caves is a 'free for all exotic sex fetish/bigotry/hate' club.)

Quote Originally Posted by Heroelite View Post
    +1 i like how you are thinking of the new players Many high lvl players are just very mean and boot a new player for no reason without explaining and the new players just want to join in and have fun. This would at least tell them why they are getting booted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

+1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

+1

Great idea!

And for all doubters of my rockstar status: