Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spawning in CTF: Noobness or Strategy?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

Default Spawning in CTF: Noobness or Strategy?

I say strategy. The reason being, if you need to buy your flag runner some time, the situation might require you to spawn. Armies in the real world do it as well, to bog down the forces until their mission is complete. Not letting them go after the mission is complete though is cheap, am I right?

Personally, I have noticed many call me a spawner because I was buying my teammate some time to score. I don't think that is right. It is a strategy, overdoing it though would be cheap. Opinions?
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List

Tournament & Ladder Leader Silentarrow's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

Ohhhhhh the art of spawn trapping . Purely stradegy IMO (as long as the other team has a chance to fight back).

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...?v=9oMPEkn4VHs
    Last edited by Silentarrow; 09-28-2011 at 05:53 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts

I don't agree with entering the spawn chamber at all while game is on. Instead I suggest staying outside the chamber in that short corridor to keep them from coming out this allows you to buy your teammates time while not being labeled a spawned. Most players IMO have an issue with being shot and killed before they can even get one buff off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    372 Posts

Just sayin', spawn killing in the CTF Tourney will get you DSQ'd. We need to edit that in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,020 Posts

I find it very unfair. The fact the other player has nearly zero chance to kill the spawn killer makes it a very cheap tactic. If a player is not prepared in the middle of a map, that's the players fault. However, if a player doesn't even get a chance to prepare, and is just killed before he can push a button, I see it as something very cheap happened.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Depends, IMO. 1v1, cheap. 3v1, yet you can pull off holding them down, strategy.

I agree that it's better seen to wait outside the hall, but that entrance is too close to the route of the flag bearer, IMO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    315 Posts

Buying some time?
    Pssh, go rush at them with all your will, buff up, cruel blast, etc.
    But spawning in my opinions is just for newbies who can't PVP properly yet.
    Not saying you are one, Apollo.
    I once had a friend who honestly did not know how to PVP and went and rushed a few people.

(Also, you might want to watch what you do in PVP and such. People may look down to you as a GOA.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,947 Posts

I understand many of your points, I'm not doing it way excessively as in repeats on top of repeats of killings. More like 2 kills or so to buy my flag runner enough time to run past their chamber. Also, I never do it when it's one on one. More like two to three on one, especially when there is a stalemate between the two.
    Click My Signature to Check Out My YouTube Channel.
    Warning: Any Beggars Will Be Put On Ignore List

None of your business, creeper... Geez...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

I can see where you're ideal is, but putting myself in the spawned player's shoes, I would get very annoyed... I would say stick to camping outside the chambers, this way you give the opponents a fair opportunity to retaliate. As for being 2v3 (you being 1 of 2), It's pretty sad that you'd be able to put 3 players on lockdown, I mean if 3 people can't take 1 person down after thier buffs are gone, they almost deserve to be spawned .

Nah but ultimately, spawning is a cheap shot, as is running. There's no skill involved really. You pop an opponent before their first buff is up... hooray... I'd say camping is more fair (not running, just waiting for the opponent to come nearby before banzai charging 'em).
    Expert pvp builder and tester, horrible execution XD
    Quote Originally Posted by Register View Post
    I was trying to be optimistic. Thanks for eating my fries.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    315 Posts

Think about it if the other team did it to you lol.
    I don't know why Devs didn't make different team rooms inenterable..
    Valid points still.::...:/
    I should go to sleep...so confused

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Whirlzap For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mysticaldream View Post
    I find it very unfair. The fact the other player has nearly zero chance to kill the spawn killer makes it a very cheap tactic. If a player is not prepared in the middle of a map, that's the players fault. However, if a player doesn't even get a chance to prepare, and is just killed before he can push a button, I see it as something very cheap happened.
    +1

I consider it to be a bootable offense and no better than rushing. No honor whatsoever.

I think that you should be allowed to wait outside the door, but never enter the spawn room and get even 1 kill. The only time it's justified is if you didn't mean to enter it (ex: you got repulsed or stomped in). The other team's players should be allowed 1-2 seconds to get the bearings right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    315 Posts

Yeah. Here are stuff that annoys me:
    -rushing
    -kiting
    -where birds run from mage AOES, quickly turn back and kill
    -blast mana shield, run halfway across map(take a drink while at it) turn around, buff and kill
    -warbirds/pallies bragging about being pro, they have less skill than less-armored stuff-./
    -tree hiding
    -spawning
    -hiding behind teammates

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlzap View Post
    -rushing
    -kiting
    -blast mana shield, run halfway across map(take a drink while at it) turn around, buff and kill
    -warbirds/pallies bragging about being pro, they have less skill than less-armored stuff-./
    -tree hiding
    -spawning
    -hiding behind teammates
    The ones in bold are legitimate tactics though. You are taking advantage of natural advantages of your class. Hiding behind teammates ... depends on the context. In group fights, having a tank charge in first and then the damage dealers or having a damage dealer go in and then move behind the tank is a legitimate tactic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts

-rushing
    -kiting
    -tree hiding
    -spawning
    -hiding behind teammates
    Tell us how you really feel....lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts

My first taste of spawning kill was like 15 years ago on T4C (The 4th Prophecy), an old mmorpg on pc. The only server available where I could create a character for me at that time was Apocalypse.
    It was full kill enable on all maps, on the other french servers it was disabled.
    So i create an avatar, I spawned in a temple then a big blur, saw me lying on the floor... respawned automatically, blur, died again it seems, etc... and was loosing my clothes and my little dagger 1 by 1. Until I was totally naked.
    I thought it was a bug lol.
    Didnt know I was in a pure hardcore server where if u die u loose about 10-30% u wear, bag, gold on ground and exp to other player. That didnt stop me to get high lvl there in the end. A lot of players where abusing this kill loops, noone was safe unless u were a reborn character. After few weeks, the dev put finally the temple on safe zone.

Apart from Halo, some years ago. I got back that old feeling on PL, when I joined on a random ctf map lol. I stayed on floor and saw the 3(!) other opponents laughing and yea insulting the other dead player and me for no reason.
    That kind of spawning kill only to get free kills with a 'bully attitude' is a big nono for me. 2 or 3 spawner killer is impossible for anyone.

On the other hand, I had a lot of fun games with spawning kills. 2 full teams using at max 1 spawn killer as tactical move to save the flag bearer or used as a suicid tactic.
    No abuse here, mature play. That kind of play, I dont mind and love to replay with those players. So on this I'm with apo or elly.
    But you cant play like that with everyone.
    Last edited by Kakatoa91; 09-28-2011 at 02:49 AM.

Tournament & Ladder Leader AbsolutePally's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    182 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Otukura View Post
    Just sayin', spawn killing in the CTF Tourney will get you DSQ'd. We need to edit that in.
    **Entering the spawn room of the opponent is strictly prohibited.**
    Parth, posting this tactic on the verge of the CTF tournie is going to have to make us implement this rule. Hopefully no one gets inspiration to do this.
    What is allowable however, is camping outside their spawn room. Standing there waiting for them to trickle out is fine.
    I equate this tactic to starting the match before agree to go. You can say element of surprise, catch em off guard. Good war time strategy, used a lot in battle. But also a nono.
    Retired: Alwaysdt 71 Mage. Legends never die, they just fade away.

Revelation

Tournament & Ladder Leader AbsolutePally's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    182 Posts

-rushing
    -kiting
    ***-warbirds/pallies bragging about being pro, they have less skill than less-armored stuff-.-***
    -tree hiding
    -spawning
    -hiding behind teammates
    * Im offended!
    Retired: Alwaysdt 71 Mage. Legends never die, they just fade away.

Revelation

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Low. Very Low. At least allow the other team to be able to fight back. There should be more better alternatives of stalling like thorns, stun, or frost.
    And btw spawning is for low lvls, u dont have to go THAT low to gain kills. If u cant win, then accept it.
    PL: Crestmage -- Crestwar -- Crestbear -- Crestphoenix -- Twinkworld -- Tearacecaz
    AL: Crestmage -- Crestwar

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

As been said above... and I agree... one shouldn't be entering their spawn at all (unless a mean ol' bear throws you in there). Otherwise, it's a forbidden area. I am perfectly fine with standing right outside the door and messing with them, though lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I don't know why Devs didn't make different team rooms inenterable..
    Totally agree. In PvP maps player spawns in one random place distant from other players (if possible). Spawn point in CTF is fixed, it would be fair to implement a blocked entry. I saw a lot of spawn killers in CTF among 20-35 levels, but really few in 50-55 range. On my side, I always wait outside room.