Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pure Skill PvP Mode - Idea

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts

Lightbulb Pure Skill PvP Mode - Idea

What are your thoughts on a pvp mode that encourages pure skill?

Players would choose from a few pre-determined gear sets (with a variety of different combinations of gear chosen by STS) and pets, and then fight with said sets + pets instead of the op/noob ones they actually own.
    The players would still be able to choose their skill build to allow for richness in strategies.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________

I already see some...

Positives:
    - Equal grounds for players to show their pure skill (common to countless non-rpg games)
    - Accessibility to players of any skill level and experience in the game.

Negatives:
    - Decreased emphasis on spending time/money to get better gear (although better gear will still be relevant out of this mode)
    - Diminished variety in gear builds due to pre-determined sets.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________

What are your opinions/suggestions/comments on this pure skill mode?
    (No drama, thanks)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ydra For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

It would ruin many assets of economy but other than that it sounds great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aimsax View Post
    It would ruin many assets of economy but other than that it sounds great
    This mode would not replace the current pvp modes, simply add another option.
    I believe the economy would only be affected to the extent of the popularity of this mode, other than that, the pvp gear/eggs would still have their place.
    But it's definitely worth considering.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts

Overall very good idea, on the first read. But later, several thoughts occurred to me.
    First, i'll still never play pvp, for the same reason i didn't play by now - my main problem stays - high Ping. I don't wanna be slower reacting then my opponents(i don't think it's fair), so i don't pvp. And other players far from AL servers will also have this disadvantage.
    Second, I see this as a big system, so i don't think it is very likely to be implemented. Seems like a lot of work and am not sure sts will get motivated to do it. It's possible ofcourse.
    Other things. I doubt sts will choose 'predefined sets of gear', because there will always be some complaints:'Why this particular item is not in that particular set'. Seems better to me, either the player to choose everything he will wear(gear/pets) from everything possible, or there to exist only one predefined set.
    And this leads me to my next thought. The only really equal pvp encounter will be only if the players are from the same class and wear the same things. If the players are from different class - at every level cap, from what i read, there are always items that make some class to have some advantage against other classes in pvp; may be not big advantage, but it'll be not equal encounter, between different classes.

Other things. Seems to me, if something new is done in pvp, it takes the players away from the old things(maps). The old stuff die out if the new stuff is better.
    And there will be the new guild battlegrounds coming out soon. Which will take a lot of pvp player base, it seems.
    So i doubt even more that a new pvp idea will be implemented anytime soon.

Yet, it's a great idea. If implemented and if something is done for players with bad ping(which i'm afraid is either impossible or very hard), i and probably more players might play pvp.
    There are often arguments in pvp threads - if possible, don't hate/flame me if you don't agree with me, these are just my thoughts - just say why i'm not right, i'm replying 'ok'. These are thoughts, i may be wrong, tnx for reading

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    784 Posts

I haven't PvP'ed in a long time; however, something that I think would be interesting and could add a lot to team dynamics, is a new room designed as a six pointed star. Two, opposite points could serve as the spawn areas and the other four points could be, for lack of a better way to describe, "environmental triggers"

Each team will have two triggers, one to buff their team and one to debuff the opposing team. When a player hits the trigger, random buffs/debuffs will be applied and can be changed (rerolled) during a clash. Now, for this to be effective, the points of the star must be small and the focus on the map would be a clash area. Players can sneak through the clash area to hit the buff/debuff triggers, which will change the clash dynamic.

Example Team buffs could be:
    - Massive heal over time (5% HP heal per tick)
    - Damage reduction (25% damage reduction)
    - Mana heal over time (5% Mana restored per tick)
    - Universal cooldown reduction (25% cooldown reduction in skill and pet AA)
    - Chaos: Pet AA's affect opposite team
    - and more!

Example Team debuffs could be:
    - Massive damage over time (5% HP loss per tick)
    - Armor reduction (25% armor reduction)
    - Mana drain (5% Mana drained per tick)
    - Universal cooldown increase (25% cooldown increase in skill and pet AA)
    - Universal knockback: All players on both teams are knocked backwards

The intent of this type of design is to focus on clashes and teamwork. To combat the inevitable spawn farming, let's design a totem in each spawn area which, when hit, will knockdown and stun opposing team players near the spawn area (this can be used as an offensive tactic as well; such as Warriors using axe throw to pull opposing players into the active knockdown area).

Because this is a clash based design, I would build in two minute rounds, where kills add points, deaths deduct points. A round win will be decided at the end of each time interval based on team point totals, and the winner of the best of five rounds will be declared the victor of the match. At the end of each match will be a summary screen showing total kills, deaths and point contributions for each player.

AL: Kalizzaa
    Retired Officer of <Elite Runners>
    Elite Chronicles: Solo guides for elite maps - No longer maintained

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GoodSyntax For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by voidPtr View Post
    Other things. I doubt sts will choose 'predefined sets of gear', because there will always be some complaints:'Why this particular item is not in that particular set'. Seems better to me, either the player to choose everything he will wear(gear/pets) from everything possible, or there to exist only one predefined set.
    And this leads me to my next thought. The only really equal pvp encounter will be only if the players are from the same class and wear the same things. If the players are from different class - at every level cap, from what i read, there are always items that make some class to have some advantage against other classes in pvp; may be not big advantage, but it'll be not equal encounter, between different classes.

Other things. Seems to me, if something new is done in pvp, it takes the players away from the old things(maps). The old stuff die out if the new stuff is better.
    And there will be the new guild battlegrounds coming out soon. Which will take a lot of pvp player base, it seems.
    So i doubt even more that a new pvp idea will be implemented anytime soon.
    It's definitely hard to create a perfectly balanced scenario among all classes. That's why giving players a few options may possibly allow players to counter whatever is seen as OP at a certain time. For example, if set A for rogue is being overused, set C for warrior may be the best to counter it, making it popular until players begin using set A for rogue less often.

As far as the old stuff dying out, I wouldn't really expect that. Games need updates to make them always refreshing. If the old stuff does die out, it's because it also needs an update, just like pvp does right now.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________

Quote Originally Posted by GoodSyntax View Post
    I haven't PvP'ed in a long time; however, something that I think would be interesting and could add a lot to team dynamics, is a new room designed as a six pointed star. Two, opposite points could serve as the spawn areas and the other four points could be, for lack of a better way to describe, "environmental triggers"

Each team will have two triggers, one to buff their team and one to debuff the opposing team. When a player hits the trigger, random buffs/debuffs will be applied and can be changed (rerolled) during a clash. Now, for this to be effective, the points of the star must be small and the focus on the map would be a clash area. Players can sneak through the clash area to hit the buff/debuff triggers, which will change the clash dynamic.

The intent of this type of design is to focus on clashes and teamwork. To combat the inevitable spawn farming, let's design a totem in each spawn area which, when hit, will knockdown and stun opposing team players near the spawn area (this can be used as an offensive tactic as well; such as Warriors using axe throw to pull opposing players into the active knockdown area).

Because this is a clash based design, I would build in two minute rounds, where kills add points, deaths deduct points. A round win will be decided at the end of each time interval based on team point totals, and the winner of the best of five rounds will be declared the victor of the match. At the end of each match will be a summary screen showing total kills, deaths and point contributions for each player.

I do think this would also be very well received by the players, especially because of the new strategies and metas that would come from it.
    Very well thought.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ydra For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    190 Posts

Suggested this idea before everyone is against it.

"The nightmare never ends"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    149 Posts

This would make no sense too big of a system to implement the servers couldn't handle it -1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scarysmerf View Post
    This would make no sense too big of a system to implement the servers couldn't handle it -1
    I tried to like your post buy it said "You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later". So in short i agree with you. xD
    #Bluelivesmatter #StopTrashTreads2017 https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCF5...BTc_Pp4oWa2kwQ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nightmaresmoke View Post
    Suggested this idea before everyone is against it.
    Doesn't seem like everyone here, but for what reason?

Quote Originally Posted by scarysmerf View Post
    What would your opinion be if servers were improved to handle it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    190 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alphahero View Post
    Doesn't seem like everyone here, but for what reason?

What would your opinion be if servers were improved to handle it?
    Forgot their reasons since it was a long time ago that I've made that suggestion thread.

"The nightmare never ends"
    Last edited by nightmaresmoke; 01-12-2017 at 12:45 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts

ctf is not so active because of blood beach so if this new pvp map came idk what wud happen to pvp itself......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love this idea

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    75 Posts

You can do this already: naked, no pets.

Do everything you have said you will do.
    Do not encroach on the rights or property of others.
    Treat everyone as you wish to be treated.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    237 Posts

This would make gear irrelevant, which in turn would severely affect the economy because nobody would spend plat or gold trying to get better gear.

And before you reply, yes I realize this is in addition to existing pvp maps, but nobody except for the best geared players (whom there are very few of) would venture into maps where gear matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    257 Posts

Some guy had a similar idea back then, but with money on the table

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...64582-Paid-PvP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

The whole idea of a MMO is the hunt for better gear through PvE so that you can improve at PvP. If you want a battle game where everyone is the same in terms of power/gear, there are plenty such games like that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arachnophobik View Post
    Some guy had a similar idea back then, but with money on the table

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...64582-Paid-PvP
    and that some guy is ... you =.=
    POTATO ISH ME

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Energizeric View Post
    The whole idea of a MMO is the hunt for better gear through PvE so that you can improve at PvP. If you want a battle game where everyone is the same in terms of power/gear, there are plenty such games like that.
    For that reason, I believe that this concept (not common to RPGs) in an RPG, would fit a niche that has never been seen by players before. This would in turn make AL even more popular, in my eyes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,208 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by alphahero View Post
    For that reason, I believe that this concept (not common to RPGs) in an RPG, would fit a niche that has never been seen by players before. This would in turn make AL even more popular, in my eyes.
    Actually, isn't that what a MOBA is? The PvP part of an RPG without the PvE?