Thread: PL was never meant for PvP.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts

Default PL was never meant for PvP.

After some deep thought....

After hours of going through PvP related posts (5 minutes)....

I realized....

-PL PvP cannot be fixed-

Why can't PL PvP be fixed?

Pocket Legends is a game completely based on 'advancement'. The aim is to level up. In other words, the aim is conquering PvE, and PvP is just a sideline.

Leveling up gives you:
    -New Skills
    -Better Gear
    -Better Stats
    -Better everything....

Okay.. so even if the aim is to PvE, how does it affect PvP?

As a result of the aim being to PvE, the player is constantly in need to upgrade himself, until he cannot be upgraded anymore. The items simply keep getting better and better until everyone eventually reaches the same point (which is what happened in PL). And then on top of that, most classes have set skill combos, which everyone uses. So if everyone uses the same gear, and the same combination of skills, it's all about speed and luck (and lag).

How PL should've been to have better PvP.

So now that we've figured out the problem, which is the lack of variety in gear, how do we sort it?

Well, the first solution is making a whole bunch of gear, and each set would have different advantages. Like one would be a crit, another dodge based set. But from both a player's perspective and a developer's perspective, I would say no to this idea. From a player's perspective, there would still be a limited choice of gear, and one type of set may prove to be advantageous over the other sets. From a developer's perspective, there are just too many items to take the chance of messing up the stat distribution again.

The next solution, and the one I'm convinced will work (or at least make PvP more interesting), is having different 'base gear' for each class, which come in different types, and have sub-standard base stats. For example:

A hit type STR armor base stats at L80 - 4 crit, 4 dodge, 8 hit, 80 armor.

A crit type INT helm base stats at L80 - 7 crit, 3 dodge, 5 hit, 60 armor.
    Over here, crit should stand out over the other stats. A full set of crit type gear would give you around +30 crit, whereas it would give only +10 dodge and + 20 hit. This would put your overall stats at about 35 crit, 12 dodge, and 85 hit.

Okay so now that you understood that part, the interesting part comes up.

Enchantments.

Yep. Enchantments. We could have a variety of enchantments for increasing crit, armor, dodge, hit, damage, HP, mana, regens etc. These enchantments could be minor enhancers, regular enchantments, major enchantments, etc... Now you can buy slots on your items (max of 4 slots) and place these enchantments there. Take your item to the enchanters in each town. To make it more interesting, sometimes enchantments may not work depending on the quality of the enchantments. This also gives the opportunity to introduce 'Damage Over Time', using enchantments.

The result of this.

Players have so much choice and freedom over their gear that it reduces PvP imbalance DRASTICALLY. The combination of stats are in your hands. You can combine a hit armor with a dodge shield and place crit enchantments! Who knows what could happen? The devs would have done their job. In fact, this will have a huge impact over the economy and on PvE as well. More farmers will come because of the massive range of gear / enchantments.

Let's come back to the point.

Pocket Legends isn't meant for PvP. To implement this structure, the current structure and game mechanics would have to be completely scrapped. I wouldn't expect the devs to restructure Pocket Legends to make it a better game, or in fact restructure any game. But if there are plans to make another PL/AL type of game, here's an idea.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    142 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bazinga! View Post
    After some deep thought....

After hours of going through PvP related posts (5 minutes)....

I realized....

-PL PvP cannot be fixed-

Why can't PL PvP be fixed?

Pocket Legends is a game completely based on 'advancement'. The aim is to level up. In other words, the aim is conquering PvE, and PvP is just a sideline.

Leveling up gives you:
    -New Skills
    -Better Gear
    -Better Stats
    -Better everything....

Okay.. so even if the aim is to PvE, how does it affect PvP?

As a result of the aim being to PvE, the player is constantly in need to upgrade himself, until he cannot be upgraded anymore. The items simply keep getting better and better until everyone eventually reaches the same point (which is what happened in PL). And then on top of that, most classes have set skill combos, which everyone uses. So if everyone uses the same gear, and the same combination of skills, it's all about speed and luck (and lag).

How PL should've been to have better PvP.

So now that we've figured out the problem, which is the lack of variety in gear, how do we sort it?

Well, the first solution is making a whole bunch of gear, and each set would have different advantages. Like one would be a crit, another dodge based set. But from both a player's perspective and a developer's perspective, I would say no to this idea. From a player's perspective, there would still be a limited choice of gear, and one type of set may prove to be advantageous over the other sets. From a developer's perspective, there are just too many items to take the chance of messing up the stat distribution again.

The next solution, and the one I'm convinced will work (or at least make PvP more interesting), is having different 'base gear' for each class, which come in different types, and have sub-standard base stats. For example:

A hit type STR armor base stats at L80 - 4 crit, 4 dodge, 8 hit, 80 armor.

A crit type INT helm base stats at L80 - 7 crit, 3 dodge, 5 hit, 60 armor.
    Over here, crit should stand out over the other stats. A full set of crit type gear would give you around +30 crit, whereas it would give only +10 dodge and + 20 hit. This would put your overall stats at about 35 crit, 12 dodge, and 85 hit.

Okay so now that you understood that part, the interesting part comes up.

Enchantments.

Yep. Enchantments. We could have a variety of enchantments for increasing crit, armor, dodge, hit, damage, HP, mana, regens etc. These enchantments could be minor enhancers, regular enchantments, major enchantments, etc... Now you can buy slots on your items (max of 4 slots) and place these enchantments there. Take your item to the enchanters in each town. To make it more interesting, sometimes enchantments may not work depending on the quality of the enchantments. This also gives the opportunity to introduce 'Damage Over Time', using enchantments.

The result of this.

Players have so much choice and freedom over their gear that it reduces PvP imbalance DRASTICALLY. The combination of stats are in your hands. You can combine a hit armor with a dodge shield and place crit enchantments! Who knows what could happen? The devs would have done their job. In fact, this will have a huge impact over the economy and on PvE as well. More farmers will come because of the massive range of gear / enchantments.

Let's come back to the point.

Pocket Legends isn't meant for PvP. To implement this structure, the current structure and game mechanics would have to be completely scrapped. I wouldn't expect the devs to restructure Pocket Legends to make it a better game, or in fact restructure any game. But if there are plans to make another PL/AL type of game, here's an idea.
    These are good ideas that lots of other mmos have implemented in different ways. But pl not having them is why it is so fun and what sets it apart from any other mmo rpg ive ever played. Having a massive array of choices, there can never be a "perfect" balance system in my opinion. Good ideas though i will say

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to plpr For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by plpr View Post
    These are good ideas that lots of other mmos have implemented in different ways. But pl not having them is why it is so fun and what sets it apart from any other mmo rpg ive ever played. Having a massive array of choices, there can never be a "perfect" balance system in my opinion. Good ideas though i will say

Yeah it stands out from other games by having exceptionally bad PvP XD. Of course PvP can never be perfect. What even is 'perfect' PvP? There is no standard for perfect; no definition. Having more choice = better PvP experience.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    142 Posts

Yeah it stands out from other games by having exceptionally bad PvP XD. Of course PvP can never be perfect. What even is 'perfect' PvP? There is no standard for perfect; no definition. Having more choice = better PvP experience.
    Bad to you fun to me. I have no problems with it at all if you think its bad who cares majority rules. Go play another game where your not bad

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to plpr For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by plpr View Post
    Bad to you fun to me. I have no problems with it at all if you think its bad who cares majority rules. Go play another game where your not bad

Wow rage. The majority thinks that PvP is imbalanced and that's why there have been changes recently. Like seriously, where have you been? And you're not even average at PvP. If you don't have any problems with sucking at PvP, please don't comment on the thread.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    142 Posts

Wow rage. The majority thinks that PvP is imbalanced and that's why there have been changes recently. Like seriously, where have you been? And you're not even average at PvP. If you don't have any problems with sucking at PvP, please don't comment on the thread.
    There have been changes recently quite frankly because the game has seen recent financial success. Also in part by a few great team leaders. Stop trying to completely change the game into your own vision of what the game should be getting tired of these threads.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by plpr
    There have been changes recently quite frankly because the game has seen recent financial success. Also in part by a few great team leaders. Stop trying to completely change the game into your own vision of what the game should be getting tired of these threads.
    I clearly stated that it isn't feasible to restructure the game to implement these.

Also, changes are being made because people are demanding them. STS can make these changes because of their financial success. They are two different things.
    Last edited by Bazinga!; 01-15-2017 at 01:47 AM.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

It's not entirely bad, although certain classes are overpowered (mages), if you vs another mage the better player will win more in the long run.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    142 Posts

Default PL was never meant for PvP.

I clearly stated that it isn't feasible to restructure the game to implement these.

Also, changes are being made because people are demanding them. STS can make these changes because of their financial success. They are two different things.
    First off if you clearly stated this then you wasted your time writing this and every reply. and second off people have "demanded" balance updates since 2013 so no they are absolutely tied in with each other

Last edited by plpr; 01-15-2017 at 08:00 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    186 Posts

With all due respect, you did get snippy with the comment about PL standing out in the sense that it has bad PvP. You were rude, and now you look to place the blame onto someone trying to respectfully disagree. Don't post on the forums if you are not ready for other opinions. Overall, cool ideas, but I agree with Plpr that I enjoy PL because it is different.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,462 Posts

Imagine the surprise of the devs when they find out they coded pvp into the game on accident!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Suentous PO For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Congeniality View Post
    With all due respect, you did get snippy with the comment about PL standing out in the sense that it has bad PvP. You were rude, and now you look to place the blame onto someone trying to respectfully disagree. Don't post on the forums if you are not ready for other opinions. Overall, cool ideas, but I agree with Plpr that I enjoy PL because it is different.
    If you look at his comment, he wasn't trying to 'respectfully' disagree. He outright disregarded my opinion about PL having bad PvP by saying that my opinion doesn't count because I'm bad at the game. As an active player of the game, I think I have the right to say that I dislike something openly. And it's also important because harsh criticism gives an insight of how a game is placed in comparison with other games. If players didn't get what they wanted out of PL, it would have never become a success in the first place.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts

Lol the first part is funny

ELITE

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 3pc View Post
    Lol the first part is funny
    Lol everything is funny even earlier threads

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Waug View Post
    Lol everything is funny even earlier threads
    Yeah honestly forums is more fun the actual game nowadays. XD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

*says pocket legends pvp can't be fixed*

*continues to explain how pocket legends pvp can be fixed*
    6yr pl vet /11 char/

20. The Following User Says Thank You to cur For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I have a fix:

before each game have the host select a certain class for the game.
    everyone who joins plays as the given that same class with no ring.
    If you want to join a bird game go for it, you'll play against evenly matched birds.

Ofc. this will KILL class diversity so go ahead and make a game when everyone gets a randomly selected class

everyone gets the same set. (for the given class derex for birds and so on)

no faces. no rings. everyone gets the same advantages/ disadvantages

wouldn't that make it "fair" because that's what everyone desires so badly...
    this WILL make pvp fair, who cares if it's different.... (no this isn't a serious proposal, just somethin' to think about )
    6yr pl vet /11 char/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts

What's next? STS shouldn't have made pl.

Sorry couldn't resist to post this classy sequence guessing

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    365 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Waug View Post
    What's next? STS shouldn't have made pl.

Sorry couldn't resist to post this classy sequence guessing
    What do you mean by "classy"?
    nothing lasts forever