Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Some Cents on PvP...

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts

Default Some Cents on PvP...

Putting aside the desire for near-perfect balancing of characters at all levels (which I personally feel is unnecessary and actually helps to concentrate PvP players at certain levels), the most recent update (welcomed and most appreciated) have attempted to deal with issues that, unless certain other aspects of the game are fixed (namely merging), remain broken.

First, I don't believe PL has the players to support all the levels currently played surrounding the major PvP levels (I.e., 20, 28, 31, 38, etc), so they are unlikely to become major levels. Now, arguably people at those "in-between-levels" will move themselves in either direction to a main level (25, 30, 35, 40). That being said, I believe there is value in being able to PvP such a variety of levels. As stated previously, balancing all characters at all levels in neigh impossible, and for example, 35 bears are at a significant disadvantage against a 35 elf. In the past, bears would simply level up to 38 or 40 where they would be on a more equal level -- eliminating their ability to compete, essentially removes bears entirely from 35 PvP. Frankly, even a 40 bear beating up on 35's was part of the fun of PvP (organizing a team defense, working together vs someone far stronger, etc).

Tldr; Given the +-2 and the inevitable unbalanced nature of the classes at various levels (which was countered by higher or lower leveled classes), certain classes will be entirely eliminated from major PvP levels.

Second, there are two systemic issues with how PvP games are managed and hosted. The first being that the original host of the game quickly loses control after a single match. The second (and connected) issue, is that players can easily "merge" the game and move the minimum level up or down while the original players remain. Unfortunately, making it +-2 won't prevent 40's from joining 35 games, it will merely take a three minute concerted effort on the part of a 40 with a few characters between 35 and 40.

Personally I enjoyed the challenge posed by higher leveled characters -- they were both excellent practice, and sometimes quite evenly matched. That being said, I can understand why some might dislike high leveled characters beating up those lower than them, however in order for that issue to be fixed, game hosting and merging must also be repaired.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DanielRH For This Useful Post:

JTZ