Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Am I being anti-social by turning down spam friend requests?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Default Am I being anti-social by turning down spam friend requests?

I am the type of player who never accepts friend responses from total strangers. At first I thought this to be annoying. Friend request spamming was on the same level as guild request spamming. Now, though, I wonder. Am I shooting myself in the foot?

Do most people spam friend invites?

What is the purpose of these friend spams?

Do people use these casual friend lists to invite others into hosted games?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

basically it is so if u r a high level and they are low, if u go to a low level area they will join for easy exp. or they are just bored and and want to make new friends. (i do both)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

Hmm, most of them are probably from wanting to be a friend of a SG, but maybe some of them are people who have run with you or is from this forum. I agree that friend spamming is annoying. I usually add the ones who I've run with and I like their play style, some forum buddies, and some people I've heard of to be nice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ayc2000 View Post
    Hmm, most of them are probably from wanting to be a friend of a SG, but maybe some of them are people who have run with you or is from this forum. I agree that friend spamming is annoying. I usually add the ones who I've run with and I like their play style, some forum buddies, and some people I've heard of to be nice.
    i agree... i do the same. i add random people, but i end up having a lot in common with them.

Tournament & Ladder Leader Silentarrow's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

1. I don't know if most people do, but I remember I once had about 20 pages of friend requests on PL .
    2. Some people just like having a big friends list, some people use it so they can easily find games/invite people.
    3. I think so...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I get spam friends invites a lot also,is very annoying ,wouldn't mind it so much if they would say hi first maybe talk some. I don't mind helping but I don't like the random ppl invites

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

ya spam alot

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts

I'd prefer to run with someone before they send a request, but as long as they don't immediately follow the request with, "Can I have stuff/credits/your firstborn" or "power-level me!", I don't mind the spammed ones. I only send them if it's someone I know from here or at the end of a run if I liked how they played.
    Rauen Haikus' dex 60 sammich-maker; Grievousangel Haikus' 58 Mage/Butler, Jeffrey; Diffie Wounded's 55 drink-mixer; Ghazaal Noobmigo's 47 cheerleader. SL: Rauen, 36 Op & Bod's turkey baster; Yosinabe 36 Engi; Chedaka 36 Comm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

No. I wouldn't worry about it. There's too many friend requests these days.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

I turn them down or sometimes end up ignoring the pending f/r list completely.

I used to accept all of them, but being spam invited to games by them later, while already in a game was just too much for me... this had to stop and they had to go.
    Last edited by pigeon; 10-08-2011 at 12:31 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pigeon View Post
    I turn them down or sometimes end up ignoring the pending f/r list completely.

I used to accept all of them, but being spam invited to games by them later, while already in a game was just too much for me... this had to stop and they had to go.
    Ditto to everything

But I will also add them, or consider adding them, if they begin a conversation first. A simple hello goes a long way

Teslaprentice 36 Operative -Sparkling Pwnies
    Teslasminion 35 Commando -Sparkling Pwnies

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

I used to accept just about every friend request. Ultimately, that left me with a list full of players that are either not on often/at all, are at largely differing level from me, or just have different play-styles. I'm far more selective now.

Like others here, I generally do not accept a request unless it came from someone I know from here or an alt, had a good run with, or had a good conversation with.

I find that I send friend requests even less than I accept them.

All of the above may leave you with a smaller list of friends, but that list should also be higher quality!

PL: Thequickone warrior, Torrenz archer, Faebronia enchantress/main
    SL: Thequickone commando, Torrenz operative, Faebronia engineer/main, Helpdesk <PiF> engineer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts

1. Yes, I believe nearly all lower level players spam invites (unless they have played PL or just experienced in these games in general.

2. To be able to spam join invites, most never speak or even say hi

3. Yes, I have so many join invites sent to me followed by a PM asking why I haven't joined (randomers) if they ask nicely or need help with a boss etc then I will join, however if this is just to power level im more than likely to ignore esp when I join and they don't say a word through that instance.. end up leaving straight after.. then getting more join invites followed by spam PMs. (Very annoying)

In all honesty if a player comes up to me starts chatting and we have a lot in common I will add no matter what level. If i do a full run with someone that I can see has potential and got that thinking head on I will add or accept (only after the run or chat while running not on straight after they F/R me. Another that im happy to add is if I see a name im familiar with on the forums and we posted on the same threads etc.

On Bod last week I had 250-300 f/r I usually go through these and pick out the ones I recognize until recently I done the unimaginable! Pressed accept all!!! It took over 5+ mins to complete all of them where I just had to leave my phone and wait patiently for it to reach Z.. after it all I thought wooop finally just about to go do my thing and then I get bombarded by PMs and Join intvites.. then more PMs asking me to join.. or why haven't I joined (worst experience on here ever) I immediately after say 5mins went on my Alt so that I didn't keep getting bugged.

So I guess there are bad points and good points.. im usually the optimist but in this case personally I believe that the Con's out weigh the Pro's.

Also im in agreement with someone above stating that you are a SG so if they know your name they will be adding you though it seems to come with the territory.. only one player I know that adds every single invite and that is Ghost (before he was SG) unsure if he still does but my guess would be he does.

Hope this helped, people may have a different view on this but this is my personal opinion from experience.
    Last edited by BodMaster; 10-08-2011 at 06:49 AM.

Still trying to comprehend how 2k+ can die from Barrels O.o

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Hmm... So it doesn't sound like I'm missing much...

I have a strategy...

I think that from now on, I will begin to accept random friend invites only from Engineers that are roughly my level. I will only do this on my op or comm and not on my own Engineer.

This way, if I use the game's matchmaking service, I will have a better chance of being paired with a "Random Engineer Friend ", or REF.

If said REF does not understand what that little "Empathy" icon is for, they get de-REFfed.

We'll see how this social experiment goes.

----------

As far as being Star Guard... I honestly can say that I get the same amount of friend invite spam. (I get more many many more PM's, though. You'd be surprised at the number of players who don't know about these forums.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IBNobody View Post
    As far as being Star Guard... I honestly can say that I get the same amount of friend invite spam. (I get more many many more PM's, though. You'd be surprised at the number of players who don't know about these forums.)
    Noooooo....I wouldn't say that I'm surprised by that..... I would love to have a PM pre-set for that, though.
    Rauen Haikus' dex 60 sammich-maker; Grievousangel Haikus' 58 Mage/Butler, Jeffrey; Diffie Wounded's 55 drink-mixer; Ghazaal Noobmigo's 47 cheerleader. SL: Rauen, 36 Op & Bod's turkey baster; Yosinabe 36 Engi; Chedaka 36 Comm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I just accept them all because of the constant, " why you not accept my request", so my friends list is full of inactive level ones. Pretty soon I'm going to do some cleaning out on my list because I only have about 50 or so that actually do play.
    Starsavior Commando | Spamhealer Engineer | Inventory Operative

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CanonicalKoi View Post
    Noooooo....I wouldn't say that I'm surprised by that..... I would love to have a PM pre-set for that, though.
    For your quick chat slot, you could have a /r (insert comment here)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IBNobody View Post
    Hmm... So it doesn't sound like I'm missing much...

I have a strategy...

I think that from now on, I will begin to accept random friend invites only from Engineers that are roughly my level. I will only do this on my op or comm and not on my own Engineer.

This way, if I use the game's matchmaking service, I will have a better chance of being paired with a "Random Engineer Friend ", or REF.

If said REF does not understand what that little "Empathy" icon is for, they get de-REFfed.

We'll see how this social experiment goes.

----------

Inform us of how that goes for you

Agree with that last part tho.. so many that don't know about the forums and when you mention new content they usually are so confused that you know so much! Hehe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ayc2000 View Post
    For your quick chat slot, you could have a /r (insert comment here)
    Good idea! Hmmm.....how much can I fit in there? I'm kinda chatty (don't say it, Bod!!!).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CanonicalKoi View Post
    Good idea! Hmmm.....how much can I fit in there? I'm kinda chatty (don't say it, Bod!!!).
    Haha! What would I possibly say???

Only 4 and a character limit.. can't remem how many tho.. will edit when I find out

Just tested 80 characters
    Last edited by BodMaster; 10-08-2011 at 11:51 AM.