Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An Accidental Listing on the Auction House

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Default An Accidental Listing on the Auction House

I bought a custom epic armor piece at the auction house today for less than 600 credits.

This had to have been an error on the seller's part. If I were the seller, I would be very distraught.

I'd like to reunite the item with the owner, but... When I snapped up the item, I didn't think to check the owner's name.

What should I do?

Should I wait for the owner to contact me?
    Does STS keep sale records? Can I ask Sam?

I DO NOT want to broadcast a "Whoever lost a custom ___ ___, please come see me message." They'd come out of the woodwork for that.

I'd like opinions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts

I think its very noble of you for even making this effort on forums... I would imagine STS has records of that considering everything else they have access too, so you should try to contact them but other then that I would wait to see if the seller trys to reach you. If this doesnt happen and STS cant help you I would say "A" for effort on returning this item and karma is just paying you back for other good deeds you have done

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TANKKAAR:444928
    I think its very noble of you for even making this effort on forums... I would imagine STS has records of that considering everything else they have access too, so you should try to contact them but other then that I would wait to see if the seller trys to reach you. If this doesnt happen and STS cant help you I would say "A" for effort on returning this item and karma is just paying you back for other good deeds you have done
    I sent a private message to SamHayne asking what STS can do.

I do not wish to profit off the misfortune of others. I am kicking myself for letting the bargain berseker side of me overrule my sense of propriety. Though, if I didnt act swiftly, someone else may have snagged it and the seller would have been completely out of luck.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IBNobody:444878
    I bought a custom epic armor piece at the auction house today for less than 600 credits.

This had to have been an error on the seller's part. If I were the seller, I would be very distraught.

I'd like to reunite the item with the owner, but... When I snapped up the item, I didn't think to check the owner's name.

What should I do?

I DO NOT want to broadcast a "Whoever lost a custom ___ ___, please come see me message." They'd come out of the woodwork for that.

I'd like opinions.
    i make that mistake sometim. Luckily I always double check before leaving a.h.,as for the seller he will probably contact you.

EDIT: Luckily it was you that bought it! I think if it had been someone else they would've kept quiet about it. I agree it is noble.
    http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb418/javier995/132ba71b.jpg
    When the sky falls, when it crumbles,
    we will stand tall, and face it all together.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

Nice to read this kind of post between all the 'I got scammed' posts. I've been in this situation before, but on the sellers' side. It can be very frustrating and the item is rarely returned by the buyer. I only had 1 person actually returning it (millilechicken was the honest person who actually returned an item to me).

Props to you for going all out to try and correct this mistake! I wish more people were like that

And for all doubters of my rockstar status:
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    U rok, thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I applaud your sense of fairness, but I honestly can't say I would do the same thing. There are no do-overs in life, so why should this be any different? If I list something on Ebay and forget to add a zero in the price, then somebody buys it, I don't get to say "oh sorry, that's $1,000, not $100." Sometimes people need to learn a hard lesson so that they'll always remember to double-check in the future.

Anyway, I guess I'm a "tough love" kind of guy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by McBain View Post
    There are no do-overs in life, so why should this be any different?
    Cause it's a game? Don't you usually get 3 lives, so 3 chances in most games?

And for all doubters of my rockstar status:
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    U rok, thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IBNobody View Post

What should I do?

I'd like opinions.
    More than positive that sts keep records on the sales if not they can always back track your 'chat log' (time etc) as this may help the situation. I applaud you also in this act not may people would. They would just think check out the deal I got.. with screenshots the lot lol. Good to see you staying true to yourslef

Still trying to comprehend how 2k+ can die from Barrels O.o

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JaytB View Post
    Cause it's a game? Don't you usually get 3 lives, so 3 chances in most games?
    Baaaaaaaaahhhhhh...you with your logic......get off my lawn!

I guess I'm just a greedy son of a b. To be fair though, if the shoe was on the other foot so to speak, and I was the seller that made the mistake, I wouldn't go asking the buyer to give it back either. I'd facepalm and possibly cry myself to sleep, but I'd man up and learn from then on to double-check the price when I sell something, because all's fair in love and SL.

I do admire the honesty though. If there were more people like IBN in the world, it would probably be a better place. As I said, you're a better man (or woman?) than I.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by McBain View Post
    Baaaaaaaaahhhhhh...you with your logic......get off my lawn!

I guess I'm just a greedy son of a b. To be fair though, if the shoe was on the other foot so to speak, and I was the seller that made the mistake, I wouldn't go asking the buyer to give it back either. I'd facepalm and possibly cry myself to sleep, but I'd man up and learn from then on to double-check the price when I sell something, because all's fair in love and SL.

I do admire the honesty though. If there were more people like IBN in the world, it would probably be a better place. As I said, you're a better man (or woman?) than I.
    IB Woman?? haha sorry IB

Or... not complete the sale, keep the name on the 'Complete Tab' and nag the buyer to return it? hehe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Good form bro. But why list at 600 all pieces range from 10-15k a piece maybe someone meant to put it in that cheap.

ZERO COMMANDO
    Follow me on Twitter @Zero_SLegends

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Acyer View Post
    Good form bro. But why list at 600 all pieces range from 10-15k a piece maybe someone meant to put it in that cheap.
    Were assuming (hate to assume as it.. you know the rest) it was to be listed as 6000, but missed a zero which become 600?! :/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BodMaster View Post
    Were assuming (hate to assume as it.. you know the rest) it was to be listed as 6000, but missed a zero which become 600?! :/
    What I think happened was the player went to sell some non-custom item, but he ended up selling the custom one instead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IBNobody View Post
    What I think happened was the player went to sell some non-custom item, but he ended up selling the custom one instead.
    That would be possible also.. and would make a little more sence as even 6k is way too cheap for any Custom piece. (10k just for recipe as you know)

Will just have to wait until Sam comes back with a solution, or you may find your up one custom piece, with that tint of WhatEverYouWannaCallIt.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

That's very nice of you. What if the seller meant it?

Nice to have people like you around.
    PL - Navygreen
    AL - Viicks (me), Littlesis (my sis)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I know I have undersold and overbought by mistake. Everyone now and then makes mistakes like that I'm sure. I can't be the only idiot out there can I?
    Currently playing Acabero in PL

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

Thats nice...im having trouble thinking lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts

When the seller goes to get his cash, it shows who purchased it, yes? It does in PL, anyway. If so and if it was a mistake, and if the seller wanted to contact you following your kind offer, he could always send you a screenshot of that window to prove that they were the actual seller of the item.
    Rauen Haikus' dex 60 sammich-maker; Grievousangel Haikus' 58 Mage/Butler, Jeffrey; Diffie Wounded's 55 drink-mixer; Ghazaal Noobmigo's 47 cheerleader. SL: Rauen, 36 Op & Bod's turkey baster; Yosinabe 36 Engi; Chedaka 36 Comm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CanonicalKoi View Post
    When the seller goes to get his cash, it shows who purchased it, yes? It does in PL, anyway. If so and if it was a mistake, and if the seller wanted to contact you following your kind offer, he could always send you a screenshot of that window to prove that they were the actual seller of the item.
    Yup it does, whats the chances of them trying to contact buyer? lol think they would *crawl up in a corner and...*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BodMaster View Post
    Yup it does, whats the chances of them trying to contact buyer? lol think they would *crawl up in a corner and...*
    Depends on if they read the forum or not. Mainly I was trying to come up with a filter for IBN if he got whacked with 5 zillion PM's all saying, "That was my item!"

I've only had one "steal" purchase, but I saw who sold it, bought it and PM'd them in game to see if it was a mistake. Wasn't, they were being nice and selling it at a low price. So, I got a really nice bow and a clear conscious. (And thanks again, Elly! That bow was a big help. )
    Rauen Haikus' dex 60 sammich-maker; Grievousangel Haikus' 58 Mage/Butler, Jeffrey; Diffie Wounded's 55 drink-mixer; Ghazaal Noobmigo's 47 cheerleader. SL: Rauen, 36 Op & Bod's turkey baster; Yosinabe 36 Engi; Chedaka 36 Comm