Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Experience Trends

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Default Experience Trends

I've noticed that as I get closer to 30, my experience gaining speed has diminished. Not only do I require more EXP to go from 28-29 than I did when going from 27-28, but enemies are giving less experience per kill. In the same length of time it took for me to go from lv27 to lv28, I've only reached almost half-way to lv29.

I am a bit concerned by this for a few reasons.

1. I am not a hardcore player. I cannot invest a large chunk of my time. I have other hobbies.
    2. I see this experience trend lengthening. (What's the current time to level up in PL without enhancers?)
    3. As the trend lengthens, the rate at which my character gains upgrades (skills/stats/equipment) lengthens.
    4. As the trend lengthens, I will be spending an increasing amount of time running the same maps over and over.

I see these trends, and I am worried.

If SL is a 100-level game, and I'm only (level-wise) 1/4th of the way through, will I be able to make it to the end?

I realize that we have Enhancers. That's good, but they just postpone the problem. If I start chugging them now and get used to shorter level-up times, what am I going to do in 30 levels when the 4x enhancer level up time becomes prohibitive? I'll be burnt out and a few dollars poorer.

What keeps me playing now is the prospect of achievements. We don't know much about them yet, but having a secondary or tertiary goal to work toward might help. I've also been supportive of other PvE enhancements.

The only good thing I can say about the current experience trends is that I've had much better luck in collecting lv30 loot sets than I did at 20 or 25.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Actually you can test this out with a low level character. You'll notice it gets to the point where it takes 3-4 kills per 1 experience and the experience gain starts to depreciate even before you leave the max range for that paticular zone.

Rodvik - 40 Engineer - Guy on the Couch in Infinite Union
    Fouroneone - Pay It Forward

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rodvik View Post
    Actually you can test this out with a low level character. You'll notice it gets to the point where it takes 3-4 kills per 1 experience and the experience gain starts to depreciate even before you leave the max range for that paticular zone.
    Oh, I did that. You'd have to dig, but you can find my post about experience. Once enemies hit blue orb status, EXP slows dramatically.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

I think that the majority of players (and I could be wrong) would prefer a game that lasts longer than being able to play through in a weeks time and be done with it. At least I feel that way and I'm only one of billions of people in the world so I know others share that thought.

And looking to the future, knowing there's a ton of updates and content awaiting B*, I would say the leveling rate is fine. Speaking for myself, I'm in it for longevity. Knowing how Pocket Legends has evolved and grown into the beast that it is, I know SL has only just begun. I think it's safe to say that STS is also in it for longevity and they have some great things coming. Be patient, play when you can and expect new content in the future.

Trust me, running through an entire game in a week or less and having nothing to do with it anymore after that leaves me with a far worse feeling than me having to grind to beat a game, or in this case, reach the level cap.

Hang in there.
    PL - Navygreen
    AL - Viicks (me), Littlesis (my sis)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

Doesn't this have something to do with threat levels? AKA the color next to the enemies health bar? Red = most experience (highest threat) and like green and blue are barely even giving experience
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=62120&dateline=131973  8744
    Kahlua/Knowledgebase - Star Legends Help

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kahlua View Post
    Doesn't this have something to do with threat levels? AKA the color next to the enemies health bar? Red = most experience (highest threat) and like green and blue are barely even giving experience
    Yep I believe so.
    PL - Navygreen

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

You need to get to 30? Just pm me buddy we will be done in an hour or less!
    http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb418/javier995/132ba71b.jpg
    When the sky falls, when it crumbles,
    we will stand tall, and face it all together.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Navygreen View Post
    I think that the majority of players (and I could be wrong) would prefer a game that lasts longer than being able to play through in a weeks time and be done with it. At least I feel that way and I'm only one of billions of people in the world so I know others share that thought.

And looking to the future, knowing there's a ton of updates and content awaiting B*, I would say the leveling rate is fine. Speaking for myself, I'm in it for longevity. Knowing how Pocket Legends has evolved and grown into the beast that it is, I know SL has only just begun. I think it's safe to say that STS is also in it for longevity and they have some great things coming. Be patient, play when you can and expect new content in the future.

Trust me, running through an entire game in a week or less and having nothing to do with it anymore after that leaves me with a far worse feeling than me having to grind to beat a game, or in this case, reach the level cap.

Hang in there.
    The problem comes in when I have to grind and then see very little benefit come out of it. Or, I'm grinding on the same 5 maps over and over.

If my character performs at the same power level on the 100th map run as they did on the 1st run of the same map, where is the incentive to play?

I do not mind grinding, and I can stick it out for the long haul. I've played games worse than this. The advantage of those games, though, was that they had a much bigger scope. I wasn't limited to a single set of maps. I had other things to distract me in the game. SL is a very simple MMO by comparison.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts

And I'm sure you didn't forget this, but running with a full group will up the amount of XP gained per kill. Sure, it's only something like .33%, but those add up. Holler if I'm on and you need bodies, Con--I'll come running.
    Rauen Haikus' dex 60 sammich-maker; Grievousangel Haikus' 58 Mage/Butler, Jeffrey; Diffie Wounded's 55 drink-mixer; Ghazaal Noobmigo's 47 cheerleader. SL: Rauen, 36 Op & Bod's turkey baster; Yosinabe 36 Engi; Chedaka 36 Comm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IBNobody View Post
    If my character performs at the same power level on the 100th map run as they did on the 1st run of the same map, where is the incentive to play?
    Totally understandable! That's actually how I felt in PL for a while doing runs in the sewers. I thought i'd go crazy. I love the games but I can totally understand!

As far as SL being a very simple game, I can agree with that as I just started playing and I can definately see some differences in the amount of content at the moment. The thing that keeps me going for the moment is knowing that soon that content will be updated and new things added. It's a brand new game that just got off the ground and we will be updated soon enough!
    PL - Navygreen

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

But it also has been said star legends will be more hardcore than pocket legends. With that said I love the XP grind and I'm sure other hardcore players enjoy it too. Honestly I think x4 XP elixers should be taken out imo.

ZERO COMMANDO
    Follow me on Twitter @Zero_SLegends

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I haven't checked this, but I thought you get more exp for mobs in levels 4-5 then in 1-3? I also agree that there should be some sort of achievements implemented in the game to make the grind worth more then just getting to the next level. IMO PL has lost it's way in the amount of exp required to level, especially given the increased difficulty of the Nuri levels.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    561 Posts

I believe from what i have seen in beta is that ppl leveled up fast, then they had nothing to do. then the complaints started rolling in and devs were in a rush to put in new content. making it a challenge to level is what the game is made for...."longevity" of MMO's.......if there was no challenge you would stop playing.

Im a elixer user, and i level fast so i can help lower levels. I have done this since beta, and i wont stop....everyone who receives my help get items i receive...thats unless i don't need them first lol.
    Im hardly on forums because of this reason. Im exploring and enjoying the environment, I have never played an MMO till now (SL, PL...soon DL), and these games I will stick with.....no reason to go else where
    Last edited by octavos; 10-13-2011 at 10:40 AM.
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=54483&dateline=131136  6901
    PL-Ghosts | SL-DL-AL- Ghost | SL-DL-AL-Octavos

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Glad someone created a thread on the topic. I don't mind having to work hard to earn my next lvl, what concerns me is my ability to remain engaged in a game where a variety of methods for gaining xp is limited to running the same few maps repetitively. Repetition of the drab sewers is what fatigued me of PL. What I would ultimately like to see are alternatives to the typical limited number of maps if the grind will be more hardcore in SL. If SL will be more of a grind than PL, I hope at the very least there will be more maps included within future campaigns than the standard number. Otherwise, added repetition and stagnation in map variety could be a game killer.

AL - Frostine: Sorcerer | | | PL - Frostine: Ench (70)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

The problem comes in when I have to grind and then see very little benefit come out of it. Or, I'm grinding on the same 5 maps over and over.

I do not mind grinding, and I can stick it out for the long haul. I've played games worse than this. The advantage of those games, though, was that they had a much bigger scope. I wasn't limited to a single set of maps. I had other things to distract me in the game. SL is a very simple MMO by comparison.
    Once we get more level increases they should speed up the xp gain for the lower levels. As far as it being a simple game you can't expect much from a game on your phone. There is only so much content they can fit and make work on a phone. That's why comeplex games are only pc or console based. Could you imagine trying to fit all the stuff of World of Warcraft on your phone? To have a phone with enough processing power to run a game like that wouldn't be able to fit it in your pocket. lol This game is meant to be played on phones so you can have some mild entertainment where ever you are.
    Currently playing Acabero in PL

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cabero View Post
    Once we get more level increases they should speed up the xp gain for the lower levels. As far as it being a simple game you can't expect much from a game on your phone. There is only so much content they can fit and make work on a phone. That's why comeplex games are only pc or console based. Could you imagine trying to fit all the stuff of World of Warcraft on your phone? To have a phone with enough processing power to run a game like that wouldn't be able to fit it in your pocket. lol This game is meant to be played on phones so you can have some mild entertainment where ever you are.
    Actually, Gameloft essentially created a World of Warcraft pocket clone...Order and Chaos. The level of complexity that can be accessed via your phone is amazing and the graphics are stunning. It's also a bit more hardcore than other mobile mmo's. However, being first of it's kind via mobile, it certainly comes with its fair share of bugs and glitches. Some users including myself have experienced random data loss of entire characters, which is daunting when you've reached max lvl 60. Other bugs that completely break entire class abilities in the game go unfixed for months, and are still unfixed due to the complexity of the game. Although the game is great in some ways I won't be returning because such a big game for such a small device clearly needs a lot of fine tuning.

I gravitated away from PL a few months ago due to boredom with limited variety in XP gain. However, STS drew me back in with SL. Based on my experience with STS titles and other games I've played I'm keeping my wishes and expectations realistic. The nature of the beast will be that there will always be some sort of grind. I think having say 10 maps within future campaigns at higher lvls as opposed to five, a variant of the same theme just more layout options for where you can earn your xp would be satisfying. I would be willing to wait longer for said future updates for this added variety.

AL - Frostine: Sorcerer | | | PL - Frostine: Ench (70)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Thanks Frostine, I agree.
    PL - Navygreen

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by frostine View Post
    Glad someone created a thread on the topic. I don't mind having to work hard to earn my next lvl, what concerns me is my ability to remain engaged in a game where a variety of methods for gaining xp is limited to running the same few maps repetitively. Repetition of the drab sewers is what fatigued me of PL. What I would ultimately like to see are alternatives to the typical limited number of maps if the grind will be more hardcore in SL. If SL will be more of a grind than PL, I hope at the very least there will be more maps included within future campaigns than the standard number. Otherwise, added repetition and stagnation in map variety could be a game killer.
    I feel yall, but I've found that if you limit the enjoyment of a game like this to maxing out your char, then we will be getting super board standing around looking epic and tossing pinks into de trash. Don't get me wrong hitting the lvl cap is sweet, but i also like chillin with my guildies, helping the other players gain exp, the compulsory (and thus far fruitless XD ) farming for legendary items, and just running maps with a fun team. The devs have made a good call in not keeping exp gains linear IMO.

But believe me more content is on the way, as others have said
    <- design by Pianowizzy
    CHOWNis - 41 Commando | Nachownis - 25 Operative Twink | Chownisis - 39 Killa

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Achievements!! That's what we need. Goals to accomplish outside of the quests.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts

I've noticed that as I get closer to 30, my experience gaining speed has diminished. Not only do I require more EXP to go from 28-29 than I did when going from 27-28, but enemies are giving less experience per kill. In the same length of time it took for me to go from lv27 to lv28, I've only reached almost half-way to lv29.
    Was under the impression that these xp 'trends' raise per level Cap, at 21 Cap, say 15-19 was pretty quick, though now if you go in at level 31 Cap the whole trend has been raised, more xp (to make up for the Cap) and less experience due to the 'colour obs' for same level range.

What keeps me playing now is the prospect of achievements. We don't know much about them yet, but having a secondary or tertiary goal to work toward might help.
    Now this has always peaked my interest, this will surely help with the 'Longevity' of the game, I for one will be their trying to collect all of these Achievements what ever they be (OCD will.. take over!)

Still trying to comprehend how 2k+ can die from Barrels O.o