Thread: My Defence of STS in Relation to the Present State of PL

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

Thumbs up My Defence of STS in Relation to the Present State of PL

In the midst of recent updates in Pocket Legends, many people have expressed their discontentment with how the developers are handling this game. Well, I hope to bring things back in to perspective a bit.

--

Firstly, Pocket Legends is their first mobile game they've made. The thing is, the mobile MMO world has many differences from the world of PC gaming, and they don't have much precedent to go of. The games run on phones, and have many limitations.

They have done an excellent job with PL, but it still it is their half-trial game. What I mean by this, is that now they have experience in what does/doesn't work with this type of game, but it hasn't left PL unscathed. Because they had to make so many tweaks in developing a successful mobile MMO system, PL will always be less polished and well-done than subsequent games.

Many of the problems can only be addressed at the root, which is why patches can be made to remedy some problems or inconsistencies, but not everything can be fully fixed. PL has simply too much substance to to a complete revamp of things, like was done in AO3 with the rebalance. (I'm not talking about glitches, but irather, game problems like imbalances or a surplus of pinks.)

--

Now, I'm not saying Star Legends is better than PL (outright, that is), but it naturally has advantages, like balance and fluency early on. These are things that Pocket Legends will never fully have. Dark Legends, too will have consist of content better-organized and implemented than PL.

Now, if I were the developers, I would understand how exciting SL and DL are. They get to use their experience from PL to make polished games which everyone will love even more! I wouldn't ditch PL, because countless people still play and enjoy it. But like they are demonstrating, I would be more enthusiastic about working on the newer games which have much more potential.

--

Ok, half of you probably didn't read it all. So here's a summary:

-PL has seen some rough waters while developing, and will never be as polished as future games

-STS will naturally focus slightly more on the other games, because they now know how to balance them and they will have more potential than PL

NO I DO NOT SUPPORT THE HALLOWEEN EVENT! It was unwise, and the effects on the economy and players will be nothing but negative. I merely am stating that I understand their choice to prioritize other things above this.

Think about it.

--Night
    Last edited by Nightarcher; 10-18-2011 at 06:51 PM.
    Gandalf有evel 21 Arcane Legends Sorcerer
    Redeemed有evel 12 Sorcerer twink

Nighttrooper - Level 40 Commando [retired]
    Nightarcher - Level 60 Avian Archer [retired]

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nightarcher For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    316 Posts

Everyone wants pets, but if we keep being sad over a few problems, we will never get pets. Just sayin'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

Good post, although I entirely disagree that SL (and DL) are as polished. I thought SL was so 'polished' I 'polished' it right off of my phone into the "Underwhelming Bin". Comparing the games is like comparing a '57 Corvette to the new one. One led to the other, both are good and related in their own right, but you cannot directly compare them, knowhutimean????
    Moogerfooger - Dex Bird | Moogerfoogerz - Dual Bear |Brutalityz - loser mage

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moogerfooger For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    316 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Moogerfooger View Post
    Good post, although I entirely disagree that SL (and DL) are as polished. I thought SL was so 'polished' I 'polished' it right off of my phone into the "Underwhelming Bin". Comparing the games is like comparing a '57 Corvette to the new one. One led to the other, both are good and related in their own right, but you cannot directly compare them, knowhutimean????
    I know exactly what you mean. Although I think what Night is referring to is that Star Legends came out fast and clean. They had all the stuff that PL had and more before even out of the beta. So yeah, I think he means it was ready before it was ever even really distributed. I honestly don't know how to describe it lol.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WoundedEagle View Post
    I know exactly what you mean. Although I think what Night is referring to is that Star Legends came out fast and clean. They had all the stuff that PL had and more before even out of the beta. So yeah, I think he means it was ready before it was ever even really distributed. I honestly don't know how to describe it lol.
    Yeah, polished as in a final product (minus the expansions). In the future of SL/DL, there won't be even a fraction of the number of nerfs/rebalances/changes that have taken place in PL.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts

OOHH EEEEM GEEEE this brings me back to the day of the Alien Oasis III rebalance lol made it a lot easier to play after that rebalance and made a HUGE difference and it seems Star legends doesnt have to go through that :3
    When there is too much

Don't forget

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

In the beginning of PL, the helms weren't even a part of the visible character. To say the least, I'm glad the games have moved so far up.
    TVIS - 56 Warrior | Pocket Legends Founder
    TVIS - 35 Commando
    TVIS - 31 Male Vampire

Tournament & Ladder Leader Onaraasider's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

nice signature
    Thanks to Aaroniero Arruruerie for the wonderful signature
    tap green thumb or thanks button if i helped!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tvis View Post
    In the beginning of PL, the helms weren't even a part of the visible character. To say the least, I'm glad the games have moved so far up.
    And all the different item slots. What was originally just helm, weapon, armor, and shield has turned into 10 different item types for PL, and 17 in SL, with the new vanity closet slots. Can't wait for pets!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nightarcher View Post
    Yeah, polished as in a final product (minus the expansions). In the future of SL/DL, there won't be even a fraction of the number of nerfs/rebalances/changes that have taken place in PL.
    Night, you stated 'it will never be polished as future games'. I disagree completely. Of course PL wasn't as polished in the beginning...neither was the '57 Corvette compared to new one. However, PL is on par with SL in the polished department these days, and if you don't think so then you've just bought into the SL Kool-Aid They are both excellent games that of course have some bugs as STS constantly tries to implement new features/UIs/etc/so on and so forth. I personally disliked SL and dumped it, but it is a good game objectively...just like PL. It is obvious to state one will never be as polished as future games, because I could sit here and say the same about SL and future games. They will learn from PL/SL mistakes/missteps and avoid them in future games.
    Moogerfooger - Dex Bird | Moogerfoogerz - Dual Bear |Brutalityz - loser mage

I'm enjoying playing classical blues on my double bass
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

PL Ftw....
    Proud member of COT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

Moog, I never said that SL was more fun!

I never intended this to be a PL verses SL discussion. I could... but I do love both. I think you're right in saying that PL has become very well-balanced and polished, and is a very solid and successful game. But other STS games will always have a slight edge in that area.

--

P.S.- I'm actually more of a fantasy than sci-fi guy myself

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Don't leave PL unattended! PL is far more fun than SL (More of a fantasy, than sci-fi guy)! If that would happen i would wait for the DL game to be put out... A new (fantasy?) game which would be balanced would be awesome!
    Xazic -- That random warbird.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

But everyone can agree that both are awesome machines!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Cool read, thanks for posting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts

If they do nothing, then people complain they want new content. If they add content, people complain that the game/economy/etc have changed. If i was a dev, i wouldn't even read the forums.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by csb View Post
    If i was a dev, i wouldn't even read the forums.
    They gave that to Sam lol. He must have been a trouble maker around the office. lol

:P