Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Beggar Game - A new source of fun!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thumbs up

Katoa man those are words to live by...... Lol that sounded lame sorry

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts

I just begged 14 players and i have 3211 credits. WOOHOO!
    L15 Mage - Certificates. L12 Behr - Certificate. L15 Teamer Mage - Duuq

THE DUUQS WILL RULE.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

well since no one else is pointing this out, and apparently the devs don't agree, this needs to be said:

Isn't this a form of scamming? Not everyone is going to do this, but I know it will eventually happen. People are going to get desperate for "points" even though there is no way to track everyone's transactions if someone gives items to the entire party. As one of the lines you used to describe this game was "Why should we give you credits if you aren't willing to give us credits first?", this implies a "trust trade" of some sort. Give me credits, and I'll give you credits after. So the begger gives you money thinking he'll get some more back...and then they don't. That's a scam. That's tricking someone into doing something.

As I said, not everyone will do this. I'm sure people will just say "Or how about you give ME credits instead?" But when that doesn't work, what's next? I'm sure I'm about to get bombarded with tons of hate and people saying this won't happen...but it will. Anything with points and a scoring system leads to competitive nature. Competitive nature leads to people doing anything to win...even if there is no prize.

I just don't like this whole concept. Doesn't this go against what PIF is doing? Aren't we supposed to tell them how to make their own money and then show them, instead of mocking them? This isn't going to help anyone, and while it's meant to be fun, try being in their shoes. They might not use the forums for information or meeting other people. They might not have any real knowledge of the game. If it wasn't for my brother showing me how to play, I would have had NO idea. I'm not big into mmo's and games like this...
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=62120&dateline=131973  8744
    Kahlua/Knowledgebase - Star Legends Help

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts

Whaaat? Begging is a scam??? Noooooooooooooooooooooooo....
    L15 Mage - Certificates. L12 Behr - Certificate. L15 Teamer Mage - Duuq

THE DUUQS WILL RULE.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kakatoa91 View Post
    Dont forget:
    "Give a man vular steack meat, he will eat for a day.
    Give him a riffle and teach him how to haunt vulars, he will eat for the rest of his days."
    No he won't. He'll see that he was able to get free <whatever> with little work and keep doing it. People who keep feeding the beggars are the problem in society.

If you want to bestow random-acts-of-kindness, do it to people who aren't begging for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kahlua View Post
    Isn't this a form of scamming? Not everyone is going to do this, but I know it will eventually happen. People are going to get desperate for "points" even though there is no way to track everyone's transactions if someone gives items to the entire party. As one of the lines you used to describe this game was "Why should we give you credits if you aren't willing to give us credits first?", this implies a "trust trade" of some sort. Give me credits, and I'll give you credits after. So the begger gives you money thinking he'll get some more back...and then they don't. That's a scam. That's tricking someone into doing something.
    If I say that line to someone, and without questioning, they give me credits, I'll be shocked and amazed. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. I would likely give them their money back. If they asked me, instead, if I would really give them money, I'd tell them the truth.

Now, a true (and amusing) "scam" would be to tell the beggars about the "Gyrotax":

ME: "They just added a new feature to the game. Did you know that you can get free credits if you shake your phone really REALLY hard?"
    Beggar: "Really?"
    ME: "Yeah! It made me rich."
    Beggar: "It's not working!"
    ME: "You aren't doing it right. Shake it harder!"

(Again, I don't recommend doing any sort of scamming. I just think the idea of Beggars shaking their phones in order to partake in a get-rich-quick scheme paints a hilarious mental picture.)

I just don't like this whole concept. Doesn't this go against what PIF is doing? Aren't we supposed to tell them how to make their own money and then show them, instead of mocking them? This isn't going to help anyone, and while it's meant to be fun, try being in their shoes. They might not use the forums for information or meeting other people. They might not have any real knowledge of the game. If it wasn't for my brother showing me how to play, I would have had NO idea. I'm not big into mmo's and games like this...
    PIF deals with people just starting out. What do you do when you're approached by a level 25 beggar, in an instance, begging for credits? What do you do if you, a level 25 in pauper clothes, are invited to an instance by a lv30 random "friend", only to have them beg credits off you. These encounters made me decide to start to play the beggar game.
    Last edited by IBNobody; 10-20-2011 at 06:39 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

I dunno, I've had a lot of people in the 20s, even some 30s, come up to me asking questions about the game. Not questions about how to play, but questions none-the-less. People of all levels have NO idea how to play or what stuff does. A lvl 25 or so came up to me asking where he can spend his credits and where to get armor (He was wearing a combo of plat armor and non-top end gear he obviously got from drops)
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=62120&dateline=131973  8744

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts

This is what happened to me yesterday (not sure how point I get )

Them: *Trade Prompt*
    Me: ??
    Them: Il blast you away!
    Them: Trade Prompt*
    Me: Bore da!
    Them: *Runs away*

Success

Still trying to comprehend how 2k+ can die from Barrels O.o

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BodMaster View Post
    This is what happened to me yesterday (not sure how point I get )

Them: *Trade Prompt*
    Them: Il blast you away!
    Them: Trade Prompt*
    Them: *Runs away*

Success
    Heheh. If I were you, I would have played even dumber. Ever have to explain how to use a computer to a parent or older relative? Why not give the beggar a taste of that? If they thought you were going to give them something, I assume they would make some effort to explain the process. As you proved yourself to be a bumbling fool, how long would they stick around before giving up?

Quote Originally Posted by Kahlua View Post
    I dunno, I've had a lot of people in the 20s, even some 30s, come up to me asking questions about the game. Not questions about how to play, but questions none-the-less. People of all levels have NO idea how to play or what stuff does. A lvl 25 or so came up to me asking where he can spend his credits and where to get armor (He was wearing a combo of plat armor and non-top end gear he obviously got from drops)
    Well, see? You should have told the lv25 player that it was customary to tip other helpful players. }:> (I kid! I kid!)

There's a difference between a lv25 character asking questions and a lv25 character begging in an instance. I love to help, but I only help those who are willing to help themselves.

EDIT: Kahlua, don't get me wrong. You are entitled to your own opinion on the matter. My point is that if someone is going to beg credits off me, I am entitled to poke fun at them as long as I don't violate the TOS. What you (Kahlua) choose to do is entirely up to you.
    Last edited by IBNobody; 10-20-2011 at 08:15 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BodMaster View Post

Success
    Good gravy! One of the like 3 Welsh phrases I know.... *faints*

(Would you have fainted if he replied, "Da iawn, diolch"?)
    Rauen Haikus' dex 60 sammich-maker; Grievousangel Haikus' 58 Mage/Butler, Jeffrey; Diffie Wounded's 55 drink-mixer; Ghazaal Noobmigo's 47 cheerleader. SL: Rauen, 36 Op & Bod's turkey baster; Yosinabe 36 Engi; Chedaka 36 Comm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CanonicalKoi View Post

Hmm... It actually meant something?

I didn't know! Apparently, it means "Good Morning".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Them Broadcasting in town - can i have your credits please
    Me- Stop begging please
    Them- No response - leave town.

What do I get? Also I was polite and did not ask for anything in return. I would like a Nobel Peace Prize. Can you email me one.
    Facebones & Dethklock are proud members of Vengeance

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

Well yeah, that makes sense. But the last thing I'm going to say is that those level 25s begging were new players once too. Maybe they weren't lucky enough to have someone help them understand the game when they were lower levels the way PIF is helping the new players now. A younger player who didn't have someone point them in the right direction is more likely to beg for money than someone with ambition and knowledge of the games finer points. I know when I first started, I was using all my money on stim packs so I wouldn't die. Then I was showed the proper way to play and now my money is adding up.

Of course, there's always the chance they're just airheads, in which case, prod away.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IBNobody View Post
    Heheh. If I were you, I would have played even dumber. Ever have to explain how to use a computer to a parent or older relative? Why not give the beggar a taste of that? If they thought you were going to give them something, I assume they would make some effort to explain the process. As you proved yourself to be a bumbling fool, how long would they stick around before giving up?
    All to many time, my Grandad bought a brand new laptop the other day.. seens as he's 87+ it was a little hard to explain the basic functions, and he had one of them small attached mouse (his hands are like shovels) lol. As he left I felt following him may kind of be harrasment so dropped it and was glad to get a begger of my back (Even though they were harrasing me first... best to kill it first )

Quote Originally Posted by CanonicalKoi View Post

Quote Originally Posted by IBNobody View Post
    Hmm... It actually meant something?

I didn't know! Apparently, it means "Good Morning".
    Yup your spot on! And Canon id be stumped.. or push their boundaries, confusing the hell of them with more Welsh (Thoug im nowhere near fluent )

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    293 Posts

When a beggar asks me for X amount of credits I respond with give me X+Y amount and I will give them X amount. The Y amount is a processing fee. I have yet to find success with this method, unless them not begging me anymore is success.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts

Lmbo! I'm gonna have fun with this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMicah View Post
    Lmbo! I'm gonna have fun with this.
    Blast from the past! Look what I've revived, it was pretty funny, I so confused them that they just run away.. lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Genius!

Pure genius! Fuhgetabout beer in a bottle...this is brilliant!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Oh yeah double brainmelt

15 points
    IGNs
    AL: Dsll - Mage lvl 40 ~ Dslll - Rogue lvl 11
    SL: Olz - Engineer lvl 46 ~ Troopakoopa - Operator lvl 20

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I just tell 'em I'm not a bank...game over.
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=49319&dateline=131232  4660
    Cappinkiosk <Pay It Forward>
    -Dead Shot Mafia- Guild Master

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts

ok tried the game on UCS, begger ignored me so I didnt get a point, but I got like 5 lols so gonna keep track of the score from now on
    thanks for reviving this thread lol it was in the back of my mind but never really got down to playing it haha