Thread: A guide to "Pulling" on Outer Limits

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

Thumbs up A guide to "Pulling" on Outer Limits

Hello This is my guide for commando pulling on the Outer Limits in the Numa Prime Campaign. This will really only work and benefit commandos, and is especially effective in a team of multiple commandos. I didn't really play PL all too much, just really started playing games on my phone because I got bored one day lol. But I understand the concept of "pulling" for faster levels. For those who don't know what pulling is, let me explain.

Pulling, in a nutshell, is when someone runs ahead of the group while the other stay put, and gets the attention of all the enemies in the area. He/She keeps running and getting the aggression of the enemies, who will in turn follow him/her. Once enemies are gathered, they are lead back towards the waiting team members, who in turn destroy the mobs. It's a dangerous method that speeds up the level if done correctly. This was probably more efficient in PL because of the Mage's insane AOE spells, but the commando works very well here too.

Well when I was playing Numa Prime levels back when I was in the lower 20's, I saw an opportunity for a pull in outer limits. First things first, here is a map I've drawn of The Outer Limits. Hard to draw with a laptop track pad, but you get the general idea . My brother is the artistic one...I could barely figure out how to change colors.

However, not the entire map is good for pulling, only a certain area, which I will now discuss in detail. The area we are going to focus on is right before the first chest, continuing through to the areas by the first and second mini-bosses (assuming you take that left turn first, as I'm sure most people do):

This area has high enemy density, and great turns for getting all those enemies in a nice group. To blow this area up and discuss the method, let's use this picture now:

First off, make sure your team knows what you're trying to do. If someone else follows you into the pulling area, the pull will not work and you'll be stuck with a bunch of little battles and no organization. Your team should stay out of reach, with the best spot being right next to that alcove before the first chest where the dogs spawn 1 at a time from the ground. Here is a description of what each of the "steps" involves:

Step 1 - Run forward to the first group of mobs you see. It should be about 3 of those floating yellow thingies and 2 men with guns. They will attack you almost instantly when you head towards them.

Step 2 - Run left, ignoring the chest, and pass by the enemies here. Keep going till you see 2 men ducking behind a bush. Move forward and collect them, and continue a bit towards the dogs.

Step 3 - Inch towards the dogs, just enough to collect their aggression. Immediately loop back, staying near the wall. This is the LEFT wall if you are looking at your characters back, and the RIGHT wall if you're looking at your characters front.

Step 4 - Take the turn up towards the second chest. Using the same Left/Right idea from above, this is the direction of your turn. You will pass by a mob with a rifle, one of the main problems of this pulling method. More about him later. Continue forwards passing by all the enemies, until you are near the second chest.

Step 5 - Turn and cross the area, heading AWAY from the chest towards the opposite wall, collecting the enemies on the other side. Ignore the chest and do NOT head towards the mini-boss.

Step 6 - Head back down the way you came, hugging the wall. You should now have every enemy following behind you if you did the pull correctly.

Step 7 - Round the corner, heading back towards your group. Once the last enemy rounds that turn, circle back towards the large mass.

Step 8 - awww little cute ducky. Hi duuuuuckyyyyy...HI DUCKY!!....I mean ATTACK!!! ATTACK THEM ALL! SPARE NO ONE. Ehem...yes.

A good combo for attacking is to cast Growing rage,then Gravity Well, followed by Nebula immediately after. This gives gravity well time to pull the enemies into an even tighter clump while nebula is activating. Pop off a few shots with the AOE cannon, a stomp here or there, and you just murdered an entire group of innocent recruits...I mean bad guys.

Here is a list of things that might get asked or need to be addressed:

Things to watch out for
    - As I said before, if someone on your team follows you, the whole thing gets ruined. Have them wait patiently.
    - The rifle mob will sometimes knock you down or hit you pretty hard. He is also hard to get to follow you, and usually won't.
    - Watch your health! There's a lot of guys attacking you at once! Don't be afraid to use stims.
    - That many mobs on the screen at once might lag you a bit depending on your connection. Be careful out there!

Who does this benefit?
    - Simply put, the commando gets the most out of this. With all those AOE skills and all that armor, they're the only one's who can survive this onslaught with ease.
    - Smaller parties will benefit the most. If it's 2 commandos, you'll absolutely slice through them like they're paper. It's amazingly fast and effective. A large team could probably just line-run through every mob on this map just as fast.
    - This was tested on my lvl 30 commando in both full custom meganaut and captains plat armor. I cannot say if a lower level with lesser gear could survive this.
    - Vanity farmers will benefit the most as they are usually maxed out players playing numa prime for a chance at the more attractive vanities.

When should the team run up to fight?
    - The best time for the team to run up to help you is when you've started to get out of sight. This is around the times of step 3/4. The team can slowly make it's way up to where steps 7 and 8 are, making sure to not get too close or to attract any aggression.

When to use Increase Mass
    - Increase mass can save your life here if used at the right times. I found that using it at step 3 allowed me to be able to use it again at step 6/7, which was helpful because this is when all the mobs are raining fury upon your back. A well timed armor boost can really save your life.

Do NOT attack any of the mobs before step 8
    - Attacking might not cause any issues...but it might also ruin everything. The mob might stop in place, and your auto attack walk is harder to control than your directional walking. Save the attacking for the end...it's worth it, and fun to watch.

What weapon do I use?
    - AOE cannon all the way. You can use the pistol/shield or the rifle up until this, but I highly suggest the AOE cannon for the killing. While the shield does give a nice boost (only applies to lvl 26 and up), the time it takes to switch to the cannon after pulling and the damage loss heavily outweighs the armor. That is why we have increase mass. If you find yourself having problems, use the shield, but you'll notice the speed difference. Unless you have a big team who can do the killing for you after you pull and your job is just to group them up, AOE cannon all the way

What skills should I use?
    - Nebula lvl 6 is your best friend here. If you're going to be doing these runs a lot, spend the 2 plat for a respec and put nebula to 6. It's ridiculously fast at dispatching groups.
    - Gravity well lvl 6. Stand against that rock and pull everything even closer than they already are.
    - Neutron Stomp. Whatever level you have points left for. Gives them all a nice tumble, keeping them off your back and letting nebula kill them off.
    - Increase mass lvl 6. Pretty obvious
    - Graviton Slam. Directional AOE attack, but pretty devastating if shot out at a huge group
    - Growing Rage lvl 6. Huge crit increase + Nebula = LOL GF TY4PLAYING

-See the trend here? The only skills that you really need 6 in are Nebula, Increase Mass, Growing Rage and Gravity Well. Other than that, the floor is yours. Go with all AOE and just destroy, or throw in some regen skills. I'll warn you though, when you're getting hit...your health regen skills won't be able to keep up as fast and stim packs.

Can I do this with a class that's not a commando?
    - Well yea....but good luck. Hope you've got money for stims.

I'm sure I forgot stuff...I'll edit in things as they come to me. Lost my place a while ago lol.
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=62120&dateline=131973  8744
    Kahlua/Knowledgebase - Star Legends Help

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kahlua For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Holy moly! Now THAT's a guide to pulling! Nice f'n work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts

Excellent guide! Very descriptive!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

I like it!
    <- design by Pianowizzy
    CHOWNis - 41 Commando | Nachownis - 25 Operative Twink | Chownisis - 39 Killa

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

Oh i see nice! It's like the pulling bears do in the Sewers. This is a good guide(I've used this before it was posted), I love the mini maps. This idea can be used in several different lvls. Good job.

I'm not sure about that combo you listed. I'll test some of my own, and you can post it on this if you want.
    Last edited by javier995; 10-19-2011 at 05:31 PM.
    http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb418/javier995/132ba71b.jpg
    When the sky falls, when it crumbles,
    we will stand tall, and face it all together.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

Thank you

However, I don't really see what other combo would be better honestly...crit yourself up...pull them all in...nebula tick them all to death...AOE cannon the entire time.
    No scattering, no problems.
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=62120&dateline=131973  8744

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

I think the nebula plus crit combo is a seldom used utility. I use this quite a bit when running with my commando. May I ask why you chose this particular level? And will you be doing other ones for Slouch-O?
    Facebones & Dethklock are proud members of Vengeance

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts

Very well thought out guide Kahlua

Quote Originally Posted by Kahlua View Post
    Thank you

However, I don't really see what other combo would be better honestly...crit yourself up...pull them all in...nebula tick them all to death...AOE cannon the entire time.
    No scattering, no problems.
    This does seem to be one of the best if not the best for this level or similar though wouldn't use this out of that area. Used to run Bod through run after run on OL to the point I could plan everything needed to be put into place to keep up my 1st place on LB

Still trying to comprehend how 2k+ can die from Barrels O.o

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BodMaster View Post
    Very well thought out guide Kahlua

This does seem to be one of the best if not the best for this level or similar though wouldn't use this out of that area. Used to run Bod through run after run on OL to the point I could plan everything needed to be put into place to keep up my 1st place on LB
    Yeah I had to respec for this map because I took nebula off after Slouch-o came out.

Quote Originally Posted by Fac3bon3s View Post
    I think the nebula plus crit combo is a seldom used utility. I use this quite a bit when running with my commando. May I ask why you chose this particular level? And will you be doing other ones for Slouch-O?
    Nebula used to be my favorite skill, but I found that I was using too many mana packs and wasn't gaining enough income in Slouch-o, so I respeced it for Kinetic Reservoir. However, now that I don't really do Slouch-o anymore (not a fan, honestly), I put Nebula back on. It destroys the mobs with the crit boost.

I chose this map because it's a map that can produce profit and is balanced out nicely with very easy enemies and no big vular bugs or flower things. Lvl 19-31 still run this map frequently, so I figured it was the best idea.

As for Slouch-O, I found that even with my 96%(maybe 97) hit, the robots were dodging my attacks very often. They also hit A LOT harder than the numa map mobs and the only maps I'd even see worth the effort are the mast 3. Put together the inability to kill some of them quickly with the lack of space, and you get a pretty bad pulling map. Plus, it seems the devs grouped these mobs together much more than in Numa. You often find the robots in groups of like 6 or 7 already.

Simply put, I don't think I'll be making one of these for Slouch-O. As a guide made primarily for vanity hunters, I think the best place for small groups is in Outer Limits, but if you've got the team and stims for Slouch-O...more power to you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

Thank you for moving my guide, Sam!
    Last edited by Kahlua; 10-21-2011 at 12:03 PM.