Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: approaching a girl you like: desperate for pointers!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    471 Posts

Default approaching a girl you like: desperate for pointers!

Let me start off by saying that I've NEVER had this much of a problem with this.

So here's my story/dilemma:

I go to school 5 days a week (mon-fri). Initially, I'd wake up at 5:30 am and go to the bus stop by 6:30, getting on the bus by 6:45. My co-worker that takes the same bus to school told me that she takes the 7:15 bus and still makes it to class by 8am with at least 10 mins to spare, so to get an extra half hour of sleep I started doing taking that bus. That is when I first saw Her.

I'd see her every Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday but I didn't take too much notice to her. My tastes then were superficial. Now, I've been single almost 2 years. I've scouted around for a potential mate, but all I saw were superficial girls, and that's so boring. They always had their cleavage hanging out, skin tight oxygen intake reducing clothes, and I just got tired of it. I wanted a girl with class.

One morning when she boarded the bus, I just took an extreme liking to her. It came out of no where, and it felt like a smack to the face. She dresses so simple, but with so much class. She wears absolutely no makeup, short slightly unkept dark hair, light skin with freckles, and a smile that could make a whole room shine and a voice that'd make an angel weep. Here's the kicker; I don't even know her name..

It's been about a month since I thought of pursuing her, only a thought because every attempt I try to talk to her I fail and freeze up. What the hell?

At this point, I'm extremely annoyed with myself. Our first exchange of words, and all subsequent exchanges, were all started by her, with the first asking me a question a passenger asked her, the second asking me for the time when she has a perfectly functioning iPhone (hmm..) and upon answering she replied with a warm thank you and a smile that'd put this guy to shame:

Today was one of the mornings I would've seen her, but I guess she didn't go to class since she wasn't there. That was my breaking point. I've decided that I HAVE to take action on Tuesday. I missed the perfect pour tuning yesterday afternoon, a day and time that I'd never see her, but I blew it. I didn't have the bus being too crowded as an excuse, I just absolutely blew it and it made me realize that I have a serious issue on my hands.

I DESPERATELY need advice on how to get over my shy behavior and nervousness.

HELP!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

In my experience the best "pick up" line is:

"Hello I am Red, I have been seeing you a bit on this bus and I'd like it if we went for coffee someday, what do you say?" or something like that. Something simple and human not silly and "Hollywood-ian". Always worked for me (well I never said RED but you get the concept).

3 possible outcome of this:
    - She says yes. (yiiipeeeeee)
    - She says no. (well at least you know, move on)
    - She kick you in the privates. (better off finding about her mental state right off the bat. Change bus routes and avoid at all costs. Lock your doors).

Seriously bro, the best approach is always the simplest, don't overdo things be straightforward and honest. Everything else is just a lost of time and leads to frustration. My 2 cents. You got to bite the bullet, shyness and nervousness is normal, if you don't like it and allow yourself not to get over it... that's a bit unhealthy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Write your phone number on a slip of paper, and when she goes to get off the bus hand it to her and say this. " I want you to have this just in case." Naturally she will look at paper and say something like. In case of what? " then you say " in case you ever need help shaving your legs."
    I have done this numerous times lol...always work!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vaffunculo View Post
    Write your phone number on a slip of paper, and when she goes to get off the bus hand it to her and say this. " I want you to have this just in case." Naturally she will look at paper and say something like. In case of what? " then you say " in case you ever need help shaving your legs."
    Oh gosh lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Lol vaff

On topic: idk I ask 1 girl out in my life she says no so what would I know?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Don't...

Quote Originally Posted by StompArtist View Post
    - She kick you in the privates. (better off finding about her mental state right off the bat. Change bus routes and avoid at all costs. Lock your doors).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fatpigwarrior View Post
    Lol vaff

Well now you know she's not interested. Move on with your life. For all you know the woman could be married and have 74 kids. lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Lol vaff

Well now you know she's not interested. Move on with your life. For all you know the woman could be married and have 74 kids. lol
    Since when do 11 year olds ask out married ppl with kids?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

AH! Now you would also know that she is way too old for you! Sorry I tend to assume everyone is my age. lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I have never had anyone react badly to that pick up line....don't be afraid to take chances. You want to set yourself apart from ever other line she ever heard..I would be willing to bet dollars to donuts she never heard that before and she will never forget you. Lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

AH! Now you would also know that she is way too old for you! Sorry I tend to assume everyone is my age. lol
    Lol

Well anyway idc I moved on lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    471 Posts

Lol thanks stomp im going to go with that method. When the time comes. I refuse to waste anymore time

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RedRyder View Post
    Lol thanks stomp im going to go with that method. When the time comes. I refuse to waste anymore time
    Don't you just love what these threads turn into?! Lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

Spark up a convo.
    On Tuesday ask her why she didn't go to school. Something along the lines of that. If she missed something really important(or maybe just make it seem that way lol), offer your help. Tell her you'll tutor her, and most likely she might end up giving you her number.

Ok thought about it? Do this.

She obviously thinks you're cute. Now getting her number will be easy all you gotta do it....

ASK FOR IT!

lol
    http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb418/javier995/132ba71b.jpg
    When the sky falls, when it crumbles,
    we will stand tall, and face it all together.

Guardian of Alterra CrimsonTider's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

Go with what Stomp said bro. Keep it simple, be MAX and not some made up personality, and be relaxed. She will be able to sense your nervousness. You mentioned her smile, find a way to use that but don't make it cheesy or cliche.

Good luck!!!
    CrimsonTider::Astuteness::Crim::CrimzonTider::IBec kon::Houndstooth
    WreckzNEffect::Intuitive::Kinesiology::Crimagical: :Killtastrophe::SsgtSlaughter::Transfixion
    Arrownaut::Crimtacular::Funkdified::CrimJr

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    313 Posts

My advise would be ask questions..don't interview tho lol..in my experiences..girls LOVE to hear themselves talk....sounds like she might be interested, that's a huge advantage..now close the deal bro!
    gf.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

Reading this, I feel old lol... Don't know if it will help, but here are my tips..

Best advice I can give you is: be yourself.

That being said, I guess it all starts with eye-contact. Occasionally look at her (don't stare like a zombie though LOL), and watch if she looks back. And when she does, it's important to look at her body-language (and not just at her body). When she looks, give her a smile (not a nervous grin, just a small smile would suffice). If she smiles back, you're on the right track. If she doesn't, it doesn't necessarily mean she's not interested. Maybe she's just as shy as you are. If you leave the bus and she checks you out briefly, that's usually a good thing. Although it can also mean that's she's just checking if you're still staring or not LOL. Maybe it's because I'm a bit older, but when I used to do that, I would have a very good idea whether a girl could be interested or not. The next step would be approaching her. I would say something like 'hey, I'm red, sorry to bother you, but would you mind telling me your name?'. If she asks you why, that's usually not a good sign, but make sure you have a funny come back ready. When she tells you her name, you should keep the conversation going. Ask her where she's from, what she's studying,.. So basically, show interest in her without talking to much about your own great life. I wouldn't be to fast with asking her to go out or anything, but that all depends on how she would react, I guess. Ow, and talk to her face, not her body LOL

It's very difficult to write 'pointers' because I never used any corny 'pick up lines' or 'strategies', mainly because I saw many of my friends failing when they did. I just stayed myself at all time and genuinely showed interest in the girl and her life. Everything else followed naturally.

Anyway, good luck.

And for all doubters of my rockstar status:
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    U rok, thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

One other thing: PL is awesome but I seriously doubt that you should show her your lvl 60 bear and explain the inner workings of the game on a first date. Just sayin'

Attempting to fly with my bird... i thought only penguins cant fly?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Your problem sounds common... The best thing to do is become friends with her.. Talk to her, AND do not day dream about...(yea).. Listen to what she says and SMILE <--- most important thing to do! Just talk to her in normal conversation "hey, I have seen you around school" what classes do you like?" "oh that's awesome I love that class." something simple, don't worry about embracing yourself because by a week she will forget it, or laugh at it. But the best thing you can do is TALK it is really important to make sure she notices you.
    P.S. Make sure she is single...
    P.P.S. Be confident in yourself if you screw up the best thing you can do is laugh and move on with a positive attitude

... Then I read JaytB's...
    Last edited by itzyou; 10-21-2011 at 08:57 AM.
    ITS A BIRD! ITS A PLANE! ITS A MAGE! ITZYOU!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

Spill a beverage in her (mine was and adult beverage). Seriously, thats how I picked up my wife of 12 years.

Tapatalk'd from my PowerWashed Fascinate
    PL ign: Yvonnel - 66 Enchantress / Yvonnela - 65 Archer / Yvonnelw - 55 Warrior