Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mage PvP Spell Combo

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mana Shield Is a pain in the Rump. The delay and such. kills me so many times i always use it when i happen to be nearly dead when heal doesnt heal me enough. and i die

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

Especially frost and mana shield...split second delay causes death sometimes

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yea gets me so many deaths...

Mage is still my favorite class for pvp :O

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crestmage View Post
    Lol Idk anyways. Just my personal opinion. If u have a better combo than share it, then.

Btw just for the record Kaara, Weapon dps makes up for that "massive" combo dam easily.
    This thread is about combos not DPS. As for DPS, it's highly overrated. Why you ask? well lets look at how DPS is measured vs how actual damage to your hp bar occurs. First DPS is calculated by adding the max and min damage and dividing by two. Then it is multiplied by the attack rate. So basically if you have a weapon that has 90-100 dmg and has an attack rate of 1.0 you have 95 DPS.

(90+100)/2 = 95
    95*1.0 = 95

Now lets look at the same numbers but we will look at actual damage done to your opponents hp bar. Lets say you hit for max dmg at 100, you would expect to take off 100 hp right? Wrong, you haven't considered your opponents armor. Lets say your opponent has 65 armor. Your 100 dmg only does 35 dmg to your opponent because his armor deflected the rest.

100-65 = 35

Lot's of people think DPS is the thing that needs to be maxed. I see this allllll the time at lvl 50 with bliz stick. It has the highest DPS of any wand at that level only because its attack rate is 0.5(or something like that I don't have PL open atm). The problem is the max dmg is so low that you barely scratch boss' or opponents with high armor in pvp. In closing, DPS is a useless stat IMHO. It has little to do with actual damage to the opponents you really want to kill(bosses and pvpers).

Good luck

P.S. my combos change depending on the opponent and what gear I'm wearing. If you want to learn more about combos you should make a locked game with a good friend and practice one vs one. This is the way to really test combos and refine your pvping
    Last edited by Kaarataka; 11-02-2011 at 10:26 PM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kaarataka For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kaarataka View Post
    This thread is about combos not DPS. As for DPS, it's highly overrated. Why you ask? well lets look at how DPS is measured vs how actual damage to your hp bar occurs. First DPS is calculated by adding the max and min damage and dividing by two. Then it is multiplied by the attack rate. So basically if you have a weapon that has 90-100 dmg and has an attack rate of 1.0 you have 95 DPS.

(90+100)/2 = 95
    95*1.0 = 95

Now lets look at the same numbers but we will look at actual damage done to your opponents hp bar. Lets say you hit for max dmg at 100, you would expect to take off 100 hp right? Wrong, you haven't considered your opponents armor. Lets say your opponent has 65 armor. Your 100 dmg only does 35 dmg to your opponent because his armor deflected the rest.

100-65 = 35

Lot's of people think DPS is the thing that needs to be maxed. I see this allllll the time at lvl 50 with bliz stick. It has the highest DPS of any wand at that level only because its attack rate is 0.5(or something like that I don't have PL open atm). The problem is the max dmg is so low that you barely scratch boss' or opponents with high armor in pvp. In closing, DPS is a useless stat IMHO. It has little to do with actual damage to the opponents you really want to kill(bosses and pvpers).

Good luck

P.S. my combos change depending on the opponent and what gear I'm wearing. If you want to learn more about combos you should make a locked game with a good friend and practice one vs one. This is the way to really test combos and refine your pvping
    Wow first time hearing someone say that dps is useless. (And btw, Blizzard stick has decreased to 1.0 speed, dont confuse yourself with bows and talons.) And if ur a lvl 50 still using blizzard, then i can imagine why you refer dps as "useless". And you dont calculate dps hits like that. You forgot about the other stats like hit, crit, dodge etc.
    So now lets compare, if the combo gives extra 10-30% of overall dam, that would make(for a dex mage) for around 50 dam extra. Whereas the dps hits at a rate of 280 per sec. And not to mention if u reserve ice as a last option or backup safe, you'll have an extra additional few hundred dam. Example: Frostbite shoots and hits with 300 dam. <better than the 'pathetic' 40 dam of hot flash> And frost is also useful for dex mages to kite while spamming heal after both sides have spammed their combos. Thats when the dps comes in handy. And 65 armor?? C'mon thats hilarious.
    Last edited by crestmage; 11-04-2011 at 01:46 AM.
    PL: Crestmage -- Crestwar -- Crestbear -- Crestphoenix -- Twinkworld -- Tearacecaz
    AL: Crestmage -- Crestwar

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

Wow first time hearing someone say that dps is useless. (And btw, Blizzard stick has decreased to 1.0 speed, dont confuse yourself with bows and talons.) And if ur a lvl 50 still using blizzard, then i can imagine why you refer dps as "useless". And you dont calculate dps hits like that. You forgot about the other stats like hit, crit, dodge etc.
    So now lets compare, if the combo gives extra 10-30% of overall dam, that would make(for a dex mage) for around 50 dam extra. Whereas the dps hits at a rate of 280 per sec. And not to mention if u reserve ice as a last option or backup safe, you'll have an extra additional few hundred dam. Example: Frostbite shoots and hits with 300 dam. <better than the 'pathetic' 40 dam of hot flash> And frost is also useful for dex mages to kite while spamming heal after both sides have spammed their combos. Thats when the dps comes in handy. And 65 armor?? C'mon thats hilarious.
    Get to lvl 60 and you can put your skills to the test. I have nothing to prove here. As for your comments, I don't see any congruent thought process so I'm just going to mark your post up as babbling. How does hit, crit, and dodge have anything to do with DPS? I would love to hear a well thought out, constructive rebuttal to my previous post. If you can't come up with one, please refrain from posting.

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...ht=blizz+stick

Please pay close attention to posts 1, 16 and 18. And since I haven't been lvl 50 for a long time I guess some things change. You see I'm lvl 61 and pvp with the top ctfers.
    Last edited by Kaarataka; 11-04-2011 at 11:12 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Ok so ill share a lil secret with u
    U must NEVER EVER include ice in ur combo. especially for those that like to "hot flash" a lot in pve, DoNT. Cuz its simply not worth it. ICE and FROST should only be used as a backup in case ur main combo fails. Many ppl dont know bout this and they think that sacrificing 1 sec for that lil bit of "hot flash" action is good, well, its not. And also another case is that lightning MUST be the opening for a battle. For nuke mages, especially, cuz it has a slight armor debuff. So the skills spammed after lightning should have more dam, making up for the lost of "hot flash" . And alos, Be quick with ur fingers

Good Luck PVPing!
    I must disagree with this. Frostbite has served me well throughout my entire PvP journey. Frost Storm is not needed, but frostbite is crucial in PvP. Against bears especially, to kite/heal.

Waverox, what level are you PvPing at? I could help if you were around the 25-35 area. I recommend drain, ice, lightning, fire, then heal. Remember to keep 1 point into Mana Shield, too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

DPS is worthless in level cap PvP; heck it's worthless in end game PvE as well. Skill damage is what matters for an int mage.

Frost and ice should definitely have points in them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

idk whatever, my opinions have been voiced. if u deem urs as the 'best than so be it. I have nothing to prove here. just go on with ur personal preferred build.
    PL: Crestmage -- Crestwar -- Crestbear -- Crestphoenix -- Twinkworld -- Tearacecaz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WhoIsThis View Post
    DPS is worthless in level cap PvP; heck it's worthless in end game PvE as well. Skill damage is what matters for an int mage.

Frost and ice should definitely have points in them.
    and yea i agree. i nvr. said that ice shouldn't have any points. i just said that it shouldn't be included in combo. i Bagdad use as backup

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow really good insights thanks guys xD I usually pvp alittle every couple lvls havent really twinked out yet waiting till i hit 60

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

But any ideas u can help.me with on pvp ing with a mage would be awesome xD

Tournament & Ladder Leader AbsolutePally's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    182 Posts

idk whatever, my opinions have been voiced. if u deem urs as the 'best than so be it. I have nothing to prove here. just go on with ur personal preferred build.
    Kaarataka is 100% correct. And the advice you gave was prolly the worst I have ever heard as well. Never seen any top pvper use this stuff. However combos do change according to your opponents : play style, class, build and their own combo. Being top in pvp is all about rts aka real time strategy. Not trying to flame you or anything just saying so newer ppl dont start bad habits in pvp. Bad habits can be difficult to break since using combos becomes muscle memory over time. You wouldnt believe the horrible stuff ive heard ppl think was the right way just bc someone else told them it was. Like "you are kiting as a dex bear youre a noob, dex bears shouldnt kite" heard this from an eh/avg player I was beating pretty bad.
    Retired: Alwaysdt 71 Mage. Legends never die, they just fade away.

Revelation

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

My old mage comebo was
    1)Frost
    2)drain
    3)lighting(for debuff)
    4)firestorm
    One is too be what once couldn't of been before time let thy be what they could've been, therefore we praise Haxur.
    -Haxur bes 61 mage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

imo from lvl 35 and up agaisnt mages, drain must be your first move, quicker u get it in the better. and ye against other combos differ, bears... *sigh* i hate them lol if you get to close your done for, and birds arent the easiest but can be killed, at lvl 30-35 they arent so hard, but at 45+ i think they dominate in pvp tbh :/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've seen in lvl26 pvp this combo shuts down mages, before they pop their shields.. Drain, light, ice, heal/ or shield, fire, light, repeat..
    But ultimately, it depends on your skills and which skills of yours does the most damage.
    Lvl54 (Dextress) ZeUbermensch / Lvl26 (Dex Bird) Goddemigod / Lvl 23(Dex Bear) Rancorr / Lvl 22 (Pally) Shurpukishpu

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

Use the magical combo:ice ice nightmare heal works everytime.

If want a combo pm me in game but if u share it i will hunt you down (IGN Shadowwars)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hadesofshadow View Post
    Use the magical combo:ice ice nightmare heal works everytime.

If want a combo pm me in game but if u share it i will hunt you down (IGN Shadowwars)
    Master please give me your secrets!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Lol Idk anyways. Just my personal opinion. If u have a better combo than share it, then.

Btw just for the record Kaara, Weapon dps makes up for that "massive" combo dam easily.
    weaps dont make up for a combo... im still learning mage but when a guy like kaa offers advise ... i listen

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Default fail

all i can say is crestmage you totally got your info messed up
    PL Chars: ,SETBIRD,GOMGURLTWO,ihateshelby,gomgurl,,razurblade
    THANKS FOR PLAYIN' :B
    Proud leader of SMD " so much damage"