Thread: Mage's Arcane Shield

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by will0 View Post
    Talking about mage skill "gale" is useful why cant it be like warrior arcane sword pulls mobs inwards and then snare/stun them rather than blow outwards spreading the mobs everywhere?

"Lightning" is a electrical bolt of electricity and why stun is by low chance in %? i agree in the post in front the AOE spread % should be higher even old arcane maul stun have higher stun frequency and AOE chance.
    It would be nice if the rogue trap skill actually worked in PvP. Same with the mage clock skill. Although, not so much movement speed reduction on players as they apply to mobs in PvE.

Such fun would be had with strategical games.

Quote Originally Posted by Azebor View Post
    Let's calculate how much the shield absorbs in practice. To quote developer Samhayne's post 5/8/2013 in the sorcerer forum: "Without upgrade to time + extra damage: (((2*strength)+intelligence)*3)

With upgrade to time + extra damage: (((2*strength)+intelligence)*3.5) plus the shield lasts an extra 5 seconds."

The "upgrade" Samhayne mentions is the "Extended Shield" upgrade that increases the amount of damage absorbed by 15% (3*15%=.45 which is rounded to .5 in the formula above.) Now we have Shield Mastery which also increases the amount of damage absorbed by 15%. So if we assume it adds another .5 to the formula we get:
    With upgrade to time + extra damage+mastery: (((2*strength)+intelligence)*4.0).

So lets assume a geared lvl 66 mage has 1,200 INT and 400 STR. The maximum reduced damage absorbed would be (((2x400)+1200)*4.0) = 8,000. However, a charged arcane shield reduces damage by 55%. Therefore, the amount of damage prior to shield reduction needed to break shield is 8,000/45%=17,777 damage. Now lets assume armor further reduces damage by 50%. Therefore total unreduced damage to break shield would be 17,777/50%=35,554. Question: how long does it take to do 35,554 damage to a naked mage (naked is unreduced)? That would begin to explain whether or not the arcane shield formula needs to be updated.

Disclaimer: I don't have a 66 so i am just guessing as far as STR/INT and armor reduction. If someone has a better grasp on 66 stats it would be much appreciated to do the same analysis to come up with a number for unmitigated damage required to break shield. I apologize if my math is wrong haha, but lets work on that together.
    Don't forget that when the 50% damage and heal nerf was applied, the mage shield was unaffected. I do remember a developer saying that the reason mages were so ridiculously overpowered at the 56 cap was because the shield was ideally absorbing double the damage it was meant to. Either way they left it as it is and allowed the rogue class to suffer like no class has ever suffered before; for an entire season. I don't know how this all works out at any level below 43 but between level 43-66, the mage class is extremely tanky and has a huge damage output. If players are having problems with their class at a specific level; its only logical that they level up to a cap which their class doesn't have these problems. Last time i checked, twinking at low levels wasn't a must.
    Last edited by Perceval; 09-27-2017 at 05:17 AM.