Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there no way to change the keyboard layout?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

Default Is there no way to change the keyboard layout?

I know Sam (or one of you guys) said the keyboard layout was built in...but to be honest it's the only reason I'm on the border of switching over from my phone or not. I'm noticing my vision getting worse and being very blurry after staring at my little phone screen and I'd really rather play on my laptop. However, my mouse I use is very sensitive to finger movement (Apple Magic Mouse) and keeps adjusting the size of the screen or backtracking to the home page. Because of this I have to use the trackpad if I want to use a mouse. Here are my issues with the keyboard to date:

1. WASD is fine for movement, it feels natural. However, using E and Q to turn the screen does not. For someone like me who moves around A LOT when playing, I find that I have to play extremely different with this layout. Doing all that with 1 hand feels unnatural and makes my play very sloppy. An idea I had for this would be to use the right and left arrow keys to turn the camera. As these keys right now change targets (Very randomly might I add...I tried to switch to a target right next to one I was shooting at, and it instead picked one all the way down range and refused to switch back), you could instead use the up/down arrow keys to change targets. Same concept, just an up/down order instead of right/left. I think using 2 hands to turn the camera and move your account is more natural to all of us, as I'm assuming the majority of us use our skills hand to swipe the screen to turn the camera. Since the space bar is within thumb range (and I have small hands, so I know the majority can reach it just fine) shooting with just the keyboard wont be an issue and you more than likely will not require a second hand. This layout is of course optional for those who like to use a mouse.

2. No shortcut known right now for stims/mana packs. Anyone who doesn't want to die a lot will likely not use Chrome to play because it takes a lot longer to use a stim pack or a mana pack because you have to slide the mouse key down to it. Yes it's a simple movement, but just clicking it with your finger is a lot faster and is almost a subconscious action at this point . If the skills and such have a shortcut, then I don't see why these can't too (unless programming it isn't possible lol).

3. No shortcut key for avatar screen/inventory/whatever that HUB is called. I'm pretty sure as of right now all we can do is click the gear icon in the top left corner to get here, and a keyboard shortcut, while not needed, would be very nice!

Also, can I just say that I LOVE LOVE LOVE the typing interface. So fast and easy to use! I don't think I'll ever accidently end a plural word in an "a" again! Stupid phone keyboards.

EDIT: Using a macbook pro.

Let me know what y'all think, I'm curious to see if anyone else is noticing the difficulty in one handed moving and turning.
    Last edited by Kahlua; 10-26-2011 at 05:24 AM.
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=62120&dateline=131973  8744
    Kahlua/Knowledgebase - Star Legends Help

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Press and hold on place of typing
    Input mode
    Android keyboard or swype keyboard
    Even though this basicly only works if you have androiid (best) but good luck figuring out
    Sorry if you put that you have an iphone (not best) in your page i have a record of like only reading main parts.
    Mage/Engineer ign: mwayneo (main)----Bear ign: mmwayneo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

This is for google chrome...
    http://www.spacetimestudios.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=62120&dateline=131973  8744

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts

Havent been able to read this fully (at work )

But here is another link for Suggestions/Feedback for Chrome,

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...hrome-Feedback

Similar idea's had been discussed, agree with some other shortcuts, Stim and PP etc.

Maybe PM, Sam and see if both threads can be merged
    Last edited by BodMaster; 10-26-2011 at 05:29 AM.

Still trying to comprehend how 2k+ can die from Barrels O.o

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

the keypad works for movement and turning camera too if u have numlock enabled.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

It seems right now there isn't an option for that. I would like to see a revamp of the shortcuts as well. The arrow keys should be used to move. E and W to rotate screen. Space bar for shooting. The brackets for stims. It's still in beta mode and is very fun to play on.
    TVIS - 56 Warrior | Pocket Legends Founder
    TVIS - 35 Commando
    TVIS - 31 Male Vampire

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

Sorry forgot to mention I'm on a macbook pro.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kahlua View Post
    and a keyboard shortcut, while not needed, would be very nice!
    Press 'Enter' to bring up chat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BodMaster View Post
    Press 'Enter' to bring up chat.
    I know that lol, I'm talking about the screen I get to when I hit "menu" on my phone. It brings up the avatar screen and all that jazz.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts

I'm on a MacBook Pro, too, Kahlua. If you click and hold on the trackpad you can use another finger to turn the camera. Yeah, I know, not much of an improvement over the keystrokes. :/ When I tried it yesterday, I was pretty much doing everything by trackpad--movement, skill selection, stims...but it's a pretty steep learning curve going to that from touchscreen and I've got a long ways to go.
    Rauen Haikus' dex 60 sammich-maker; Grievousangel Haikus' 58 Mage/Butler, Jeffrey; Diffie Wounded's 55 drink-mixer; Ghazaal Noobmigo's 47 cheerleader. SL: Rauen, 36 Op & Bod's turkey baster; Yosinabe 36 Engi; Chedaka 36 Comm

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CanonicalKoi For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts

I know that lol, I'm talking about the screen I get to when I hit "menu" on my phone. It brings up the avatar screen and all that jazz.
    Lol!

Ummm maybe pressing Esc to bring up Avatar menu, arrows to move along tabs, that sort of thing..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BodMaster View Post
    Lol!

Ummm maybe pressing Esc to bring up Avatar menu, arrows to move along tabs, that sort of thing..
    you think with the amount I talk (type) that I wouldn't know how to use the chat box?
    My guild is probably already planning my permanent chat ban now that I can type even faster lol!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts

you think with the amount I talk (type) that I wouldn't know how to use the chat box?
    My guild is probably already planning my permanent chat ban now that I can type even faster lol!
    Had it through PM's yesterday saying it was annoying pressing chat bar to chat.. said use 'Enter' key and they were like woooo!

You dont stop....... ever!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts

I just tried it with the virtual joystick and movement was a lot better. I also tried enabling chase camera and it has possibilities (it swings the camera to face the same way you are), but it "over swings" compared to the movement. If it were locked a little tighter with the char's movement, it might be a decent way to go.
    Rauen Haikus' dex 60 sammich-maker; Grievousangel Haikus' 58 Mage/Butler, Jeffrey; Diffie Wounded's 55 drink-mixer; Ghazaal Noobmigo's 47 cheerleader. SL: Rauen, 36 Op & Bod's turkey baster; Yosinabe 36 Engi; Chedaka 36 Comm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

ya I have chase camera on for chrome too...but I'd really like to do away with the mouse/track pad as much as possible. My mouse is heat/pressure sensitive and if I accidentally slide 2 fingers side to side it goes back/forward a page...very annoying for gaming lol. I could change these settings, but I use them too much normally for the change to be worth it.

What does the virtual joystick do? I would essentially have to use my mouse/trackpad to move with the stick like I do with my thumb on my phone right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts

Yup, that's about it. For me it was easier than doing the WASD thing or the trackpad/click movement. I'm sure all of those options are working better than they seem, it's just that they feel kludgy for now compared to using a touchscreen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts

Check out new update,

Quote Originally Posted by Futumsh View Post
    • ios: Chat on trade screens is no longer under inventory.
    • iphone: Chat now has up/down arrow.
    • chrome: Fixed cutscenes sometimes showing patterns of clips where there should only be one.
    • chrome: Number keys for activating skills should work correctly when flipping skill pages by clicking.
    • chrome: Additional keyboard shortcuts - i=inventory, c=avatar, [=stimpack, ]=powerpack, m=minimap.
    • chrome: Detect incompatible graphics driver, and show an error rather than loading forever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

woooooooo yaaaaay!!!

Now if they do something with the arrow keys to do turning...IT'LL BE PERFECT O_O

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tvis View Post
    It seems right now there isn't an option for that. I would like to see a revamp of the shortcuts as well. The arrow keys should be used to move. E and W to rotate screen. Space bar for shooting. The brackets for stims. It's still in beta mode and is very fun to play on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Futumsh View Post
    • ios: Chat on trade screens is no longer under inventory.
    • iphone: Chat now has up/down arrow.
    • chrome: Fixed cutscenes sometimes showing patterns of clips where there should only be one.
    • chrome: Number keys for activating skills should work correctly when flipping skill pages by clicking.
    • chrome: Additional keyboard shortcuts - i=inventory, c=avatar, [=stimpack, ]=powerpack, m=minimap.
    • chrome: Detect incompatible graphics driver, and show an error rather than loading forever.
    They either took my advice or I can tell the future!! WOO!!!
    TVIS - 56 Warrior | Pocket Legends Founder
    TVIS - 35 Commando
    TVIS - 31 Male Vampire

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    316 Posts

I wish the text bar appeared at the bottom or something...