Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Quitting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aikiebo View Post

Even though, I am quoting Ellyidol here, I am responding to Apollo's last post.

I'm sorry, but I do not know how to quote from two different posts while using this forum app. If I did know, I would have done that to make things easier..
    Copy the first quote, then when you are going to quote the next paste it there. Paste it before the secant quote. I'm pretty sure you can figure out how to make it say you quoted them bout after copying and pasting. If not I'll gladly tell you.
    http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb418/javier995/132ba71b.jpg
    When the sky falls, when it crumbles,
    we will stand tall, and face it all together.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Well written and great points and insights.... ONLY reason I thanked....

That is all I will say.... For now....

Edit: Have just learned that once you thank someone you cannot neg their comment as well lol!

To those that know me... You know that is me and my personal style/flair/whatever you want to call it.

To those that don't know me... I am who I am, do not expect any more or any less out of me! That said, I do not thank or rep at random(I think it should be removed as well) unless the post nails something close in my mind... To the 3 that I have thanked... I think only 1 has even slightly gotten to know me.... They know who they are... And I'm damn glad to have known them, if only in a game!
    Last edited by Wretch; 11-14-2011 at 01:07 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

well said but sometimes in life we wish we could go back in time an change something we wish we could have done better , but sometimes it best to let it go an move on ...

one of my favorites quotes was from a book i once read that said "The Day We Die is the Day we don't fight back against whats wrong" end quote but hey we all make mistakes and we should learned from them.

My Sincere Apology goes to does who's feelings i might have hurt and i'm very sorry but i think i think i need to move on maybe find another game where i might start fresh some people just don't accepted apologies so my last words are

Have a Nice day till we meet again.....
    SUPA-LOGGING OUT
    иэV€R 2 яетцяи

SupaProdigy level 32 operative SpaceReaper level 12 .Beastrocity lvl 63
    Supaprodigy level 56 bird Toquickforu level 60 Paladin! Top Shot Mafia. Empty-Space

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Let me preface this by saying I am not an English major and that this is about more than just correcting grammar on the forums.

In the world I see around me today I find that many people (mainly younger generations) have no grasp of the English language. I've seen more and more posts that are written either completely in abbreviations, without the use of periods and/or is some foreign combination of the two with some slang added in for good measure.

What worries me is that it seems we are currently producing generations that do not know how to write or, even worse, this is what our language is turning into.

Now I don't believe I have ever corrected someone within this forum, but I completely understand why some people feel the need to do so. Everyone misspells words, uses the wrong punctuation, etc etc, I just think and hope that some of the people who are pointing out major errors are doing so for the right reasons.

Honestly, I'm not defending nor condemning these people. I guess that I just want my nerdy concerns to be taken into consideration when thinking about this subject.

After all, the pen is mightier than the sword.

Ps. Feel free to point out any errors in my grammar.
    PL Anibird- Level 66 Bird Anicat- Level 65 Mage Anibear- Level 66 Bear
    SL Ani- Level 35 Operative Animeva- Level 30 Commando Anibird- Level 27 Engineer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Weak_Sauce View Post
    Let me preface this by saying I am not an English major and that this is about more than just correcting grammar on the forums.

In the world I see around me today I find that many people (mainly younger generations) have no grasp of the English language. I've seen more and more posts that are written either completely in abbreviations, without the use of periods and/or is some foreign combination of the two with some slang added in for good measure.

What worries me is that it seems we are currently producing generations that do not know how to write or, even worse, this is what our language is turning into.

Now I don't believe I have ever corrected someone within this forum, but I completely understand why some people feel the need to do so. Everyone misspells words, uses the wrong punctuation, etc etc, I just think and hope that some of the people who are pointing out major errors are doing so for the right reasons.

Honestly, I'm not defending nor condemning these people. I guess that I just want my nerdy concerns to be taken into consideration when thinking about this subject.

Younger generations you say? I don't know if everyone knows this, but I'm only 16.
    I use proper language to be, how would I say this, respectful? I guess that's it. If you check my posts, I use proper grammar and rarely use abbreviations. I type this way to show that I'm, how would you say, serious about showing my point?

It seems that the better way you type and format a post, the more it's taken seriously in my opinion.

Don't be so quick to judge us younger generations, some of us will do great things.

- Javier M.
    http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb418/javier995/132ba71b.jpg
    When the sky falls, when it crumbles,
    we will stand tall, and face it all together.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Just a small point. In my line of work, I occasionally deal with people who have learning difficulties and this comes out in their written expression. I'm just like some of the people in this thread, that is, poor grammar and spelling bothers me, although, in the game, I don't mind as I have fat fingers like everyone else! Anyway, due to my work, I have learned to try to be more detached about this issue.

Last week, I witnessed an altercation between two people in town where one made fun of the other for their poor spelling and grammar. The latter was rude, used offensive language and took a very aggressive position. I pointed out to the first person via pm that, instead of belittling the other for their grammar, perhaps they should focus on their behavior, particularly as they may have a learning disability and so what they were doing could be seen as bullying. This person reacted okay and, guess what, later on pm'd me to say that they spoke to the other and found out they had Asperger's Syndrome and part of their behavior was due to frustration at not being able to express themselves properly. This person was really mortified that they had humiliated the other person in open chat in cs for this.

So, whether English is a second language, or a disability of some sort, there are people in the game that may have other reasons besides laziness or stupidity for their poor expression. I'm not saying to tolerate rudeness and poor behavior, but maybe take a step back and think about what is really important--some people are really nice, good folk despite their poor expression, and maybe that should be the focus?
    Uepauke
    PL mage (66) and SL engineer (25), also Loonybird (65) in PL and others
    Alterran Royal Guard and The Farmers' Collective

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Uepauke For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Default sorry can't help it but...

Quote Originally Posted by Gluttony View Post
    Well I can explain the anti-positivity in the sense, as I see it being negative usually sparks a response or change from the devs before supportive/creative ideation. I'll use the accidental removal of the shield of hallows as an example: Example #1 is a supportive thread that points out a problem in the proper section with a simple explanation as to the root of the issue, it gets one reply and no dev love. Example #2 is a rant that personifies drama and negativity, but it warrants a dev response within minutes. So I think some of us have been conditioned to understand that sometimes a good rant gets things done, but a well thought out preemptive thread doesn't get any action.
    So you want some "action" from the devs?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

See you Zheo! I know your kindness and tolerance in game, then I feel your disappointment about forum dramas. Please, don't go away! At least, venture around here sometimes!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by javier995:481151
    Quote Originally Posted by Weak_Sauce View Post

Younger generations you say? I don't know if everyone knows this, but I'm only 16.
    I use proper language to be, how would I say this, respectful? I guess that's it. If you check my posts, I use proper grammar and rarely use abbreviations. I type this way to show that I'm, how would you say, serious about showing my point?

It seems that the better way you type and format a post, the more it's taken seriously in my opinion.

Don't be so quick to judge us younger generations, some of us will do great things.

- Javier M.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that everyone is this way, nor would I say the majority. I would, however, say that the numbers are growing (I would cite a few studies and reports I've read but I can't be bothered to look for them) and they're growing at unprecedented rates. In the end, it is my opinion and the opinion of some percentage of people whose lives are devoted to this field.

I just wanted to get everyone to think about it. I'm dyslexic myself and I suppose that makes me think about it that much more.

Also,I forgot to say before that at my last job I was in charge of all of our interns. So many of the resumes I received over the 3 years were, well, a mess. No periods at the end of sentences or missing capital letters, abbreviations, shorthand, and slang. If some of them weren't so sad they would have been hilarious.

Uepauke, you hit the nail on the head. I would NEVER make fun of someone for an error of this nature. I've been the person who made an error and if someone points it out to me politely and in a helpful way I am appreciative, if someone makes fun of me for something that I can't help (I often read words and get the first few letters then change it in to another word when I speak) it's humiliating.
    Last edited by Weak_Sauce; 11-14-2011 at 07:20 AM.
    PL Anibird- Level 66 Bird Anicat- Level 65 Mage Anibear- Level 66 Bear
    SL Ani- Level 35 Operative Animeva- Level 30 Commando Anibird- Level 27 Engineer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by javier995:481087
    Quote Originally Posted by Aikiebo View Post

Even though, I am quoting Ellyidol here, I am responding to Apollo's last post.

I'm sorry, but I do not know how to quote from two different posts while using this forum app. If I did know, I would have done that to make things easier..
    Copy the first quote, then when you are going to quote the next paste it there. Paste it before the secant quote. I'm pretty sure you can figure out how to make it say you quoted them bout after copying and pasting. If not I'll gladly tell you.
    Hi, javier995! Thank you for your response.

The problem is, I am on app not a pc. On this app, if I want to reply to someone, I hit "reply". Then, if I want to quote them, I hit "quote". That gives me a screen with their entire post and then lets me start typing. At this point, I only have 3 things I can do. I can turn off the device and lose what I typed. I can hit submit, if I am done and ready to submit. Or, I can hit the back button. But, if I do that, I will loose everything that I typed and will take me back to the original post that I was trying to reply to and quote from. But the only way to see other posts would be to hit the back button.

So, I don't know of a way to quote from two different posts while using this app. If you or anyone else does, I would love to learn how.

But, I really want to thank you for trying to help. Of all the people who have been reading this EXCELLENT thread, you took the time out to help someone. I think that is awesome, and I really appreciate it a lot.

Thanks.
    "How Wude! Mesa your humble Servant."
    "You can argue with me, but you can't aruge with the math." Foghorn Leghorn, 20th Century American Philospher

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Aik, same here. What I do is quote the first post I want to, copy the text (entire quote), then proceed to quote the next post.

I then paste the copied first quote on top of the second quote and just type in between the two quotes to respond. Tedious, I know. Sucks that the app doesn't have a multi-quote function.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    327 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ellyidol View Post
    Aik, same here. What I do is quote the first post I want to, copy the text (entire quote), then proceed to quote the next post.

I then paste the copied first quote on top of the second quote and just type in between the two quotes to respond. Tedious, I know. Sucks that the app doesn't have a multi-quote function.
    Good tip!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    738 Posts

The way I see it, if its not against the rules, its fine.

Like any forum though, you're going to have elitists or forum police that will poo-poo you. Its just the way it is.

To be honest, if someone does it to me, I honestly just ignore them. I've gotten comments multiple times about posting multiple responses in the same thread. "You should just copy multiple quotes into the same post" they say. To them I would say "You can do that. Its a free country." If you aren't breaking any rules, do what you want.

AL: Rare (Rogue)/Common (Warrior)/Mythic (Sorcerer)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    738 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by javier995 View Post
    That's what I'm talking about.

I prefer to keep my posts separate. And before anyone goes on about it, I could care less what my post count is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

Can someone sum this thread up in 5 sentences? Way too long for my poor little brain.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    738 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StompArtist View Post
    Can someone sum this thread up in 5 sentences? Way too long for my poor little brain.
    He doesn't like forum nazi's that complain about his posts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Atlannie View Post
    He doesn't like forum nazi's that complain about his posts.
    There is an ignore button.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

What do green bars mean?

Never mind
    Last edited by Mikeylito; 11-14-2011 at 04:12 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Know what!! I totally agree with you. I was actually planning on making a post like this. But then I got lazy... I might quit too. LowlySpy actually started it for me n my first day!! I was gonna quit then, but I thought it was just him. Then I met tons.
    -Airaven, Master of Golden Legends! And.. Awesome of course.. DUH!
    Don't forget to thank me!! I will highly appreciate it!! Do not eat him! Or else.. HEHE. -->

21.   This is the last Dev post in this thread.   #80
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,092 Posts

I think that those who are interested have had their say. Thread closed

A lot of what the moderators do on the forums is behind the scenes, privately. If you have issues, we are here to hear from you, or use the Report Post button.
    Last edited by Samhayne; 11-15-2011 at 09:11 PM.
    | | | |

Need help? Please visit our Support Website at http://support.spacetimestudios.com