Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Beware of rich noobs

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

Default Beware of rich noobs

I was scammed of 100k. I think of myself as quite an intelligent fellow but even I got duped. Let me tell you all my cautionary tale.

I was chilling in travellers outpost when a noob mage asked me for help running him through maps. Being an altruistic lvl 64 warrior I agreed. We had barely started Ydra forest when he invited me to trade and showed me all these arcane artifacts and weapons. He told me he had a lvl 66 Rogue with 60 million gold and wanted to try out a mage. He asked me how much gold I had and I told him 200k and that I was saving for my first heroic pet. He asked which one and when I replied cottonkill he told me Fenris is better for a warrior and as a thank you for me running him through the maps he would buy me it.

We got to Stronghold and by this time we had been chatting quite a bit. He asked me to lend him 100k so he can buy some better gear to save him switching to his rogue account to transfer gold. I did think this was weird but then remembered he showed me all his arcane stuff - this guy is rich - why would he scam me for 100k? Also he's giving me a Fenris egg for helping him so just give him the gold - which I did.

It was after completing Tindirin that I realised I was never getting the gold back. He told me he got rich by merching and asked for my other 100k and that he would turn it into 1 million in an hour. At this point alarm bells started ringing but I played along. I told him I just spent the money on a gl item but we could continue going through the maps. He then told me he has 6000 plats but has no idea what to do with them as he has pretty much everything he wants so has started awakening items for friends - then the friend request is sent. I play along again and tell him all my equipment is fully awakened already.

He then tries AGAIN. He tells me he knows a glitch in dead city where the boss can drop an arcane crate. How does it work? Well he needs the lepre I am wearing as only he can do it because he has the arcane item needed. When I told him ok so give me the arcane he said it's not tradeable.

At this point I asked for my gold back and told him I had screenshotted everyone of his attempted scams. He refused to give me the gold back and said there is no way he can get banned as his email is not attached to his main character. I'm not sure how true that is. Surely they can find out the account that transferred him the arcane stuff. I reported him anyway and was going to post the screenshots but i think it's against the rules.

Anyway, beware the rich noob. I let greed get the best of me. I just wanted the free heroic egg. No idea why these people scam when they are rich already. Maybe they just get a kick out of it.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to macgreaze For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts

Aaaaaand at the end of the day it's still your own fault
    Last edited by Screenshotz; 06-06-2018 at 01:22 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Screenshotz For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts

Lol. Sorry but people who know how to play this game do not need help. All that begging...

Star light, star bright...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fyrce For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts

It's easy to complete maps solo especially with mage and with decent gears from free crates, again, FREE.

The one to blame is only you in this case. You got fooled too easily, if rich or even top player approached you and told you lend me x gold or let me awaken your items for free would you just blindly give it to him? If player is rich doesn't matter he/she is trustworthy. Scammers are EVERYWHERE.
    Lesson learned?
    Last edited by Lojack; 06-06-2018 at 02:07 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nohealth For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    157 Posts

luckily it was only 100k it could be worse. Sts bans all accounts connected to an ip address so he can still be punished , contact support maybe they can figure something out . By the way , Someone with multiple arcane artifacts and a maxed account would not ask for 100k... he had a way to get those artifacts there so another 100k should not be a problem . ( moving items between 2 accounts takes less than 5mins ). And as said above the new advancement packs make clearing maps up to glintstone a joke , even solo , especially for a mage since you wont even need to buy pots and 1-hit everything , someone capable of pressing 5 buttons on a screen should not need any help until lvl36 . Most new players will ask for information about the game rather than help clearing maps .

Although this is a new *interesting* way of scamming , i can see alot of players falling for this . I'l go see if i can find this guy and troll him a lil XD

Ign : Derp - endgame main / Gouiwaa : will be a twink once twinking is back / Derpynuts : lvl1 , my troll account

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

I know it is my fault. I'm just sharing my tale to warn others. I think this guy was very clever. He knew what he was doing. The best scammers play on people's flaws like greed. By showing me these items straight away to show credibility. Then by asking me how much gold I had so he knew how much he had to play with and promising me a heroic egg. I am a noob for falling for it but I honestly didn't think someone who can afford 4 really expensive items would waste their time this way. But I suppose if i fell for all his tricks he could have made a million off all my items as well. I know I'm to blame and I reported him so fingers crossed his main account got banned as well.

If i black out his name can I post screenshots?

11.   This is the last Dev post in this thread.   #7
    Spacetime Studios Dev
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    210 Posts

"If i black out his name can I post screenshots?"

Please don't, the story was sufficient.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lojack For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lojack View Post
    "If i black out his name can I post screenshots?"

Please don't, the story was sufficient.
    By "easy A*" I meant easy AND FUN
    Rip Shortcuts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    250 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by macgreaze View Post
    No idea why these people scam when they are rich already. Maybe they just get a kick out of it.
    How do you think these people got rich in the first place? By scamming their way through other people like you.
    he showed me all his arcane stuff - this guy is rich - why would he scam me for 100k?
    From you 100k, from someone else another 100k, from some other a few mil, and then he'd just add another arcane item to increase his credibility further...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Screenshotz View Post
    Aaaaaand at the end of the day it's still your own fault
    YUPPP, these I got scammed posts are so useless. “ I got scammed” = it was your fault

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dtrigueros View Post
    YUPPP, these I got scammed posts are so useless. “ I got scammed” = it was your fault
    i dont think they are useless tho, i think that some people may avoid scam if they read those story, they have some warning/learning purpose!

me i got scam once with the 1 key crate :/ scam,
    bought a bunch of 50 key crate and someone have insert a 1key crate at the same price as the 50 key crate, was half afk and bought 1 key crate for 500k lol
    now i dont "shop" when i'm half afk lolll

17. The Following User Says Thank You to PatD For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dtrigueros View Post
    I think you are missing the point. Where in my posts did I say it was not my fault? I'm just sharing for awareness. Technically no scam took place. I lent someone 100k that I thought I would get back. It quite clearly states don't trade anything you don't want to lose - that's why you have the confirm button. However his other attempts were clearly scams that I want to make others aware of. If i came on here crying about it then maybe the thread would be useless. I think you need to work on your reading comprehension sir.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    182 Posts

I’m sorry for your bad experience and hope you won’t loose your kindness towards people.
    Being kind is not a fault.
    I’m really sad there are so many scammers around that prefer to invest time and effort to fool people (ruining their gameplay experience, and for that THEY are at fault, and should be banned) instead of enjoy AL.
    Keep going and keep help people with gameplay and advises, just be careful on landing money.

Again. Scammers are at fault, not nice people. Thanks a lot for sharing your experience and teach us another variety of scamming.
    If there would be a competition for stupidity, I would be second. Cause I’m stupid

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I think you are missing the point. Where in my posts did I say it was not my fault? I'm just sharing for awareness. Technically no scam took place. I lent someone 100k that I thought I would get back. It quite clearly states don't trade anything you don't want to lose - that's why you have the confirm button. However his other attempts were clearly scams that I want to make others aware of. If i came on here crying about it then maybe the thread would be useless. I think you need to work on your reading comprehension sir.
    I actually didn’t read it 🤷🏽*♂️ just going based off what someone else said. Thought it was about you being scammed. My b

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

Yeah that's what makes this scam all the more sinister because you are taking time out to help them when really they just made the account to fraudulently make money... I'm more annoyed about the time wasted than the 100k tbh. I will still help any player who asks. I know I will never be a top player and don't want to play competitively. In the last week I have given 4 dovabear eggs a gobi and tyrannica egg to low lvl players to help them out. None of these players asked for anything they just wanted help with a quest or two. It takes me an hour to make the 80k for these eggs but people really appreciate them which is nice. I'm not bothered about the 100k I lent him. But the scamming (lying about glitches) needs to be punished harshly and thankfully is. However like he said, it wasn't his main account so is there anything that can be done? I'm not sure. But making people aware is a start.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    104 Posts

Once again, another scam that occurred starting with "so I opened my trade window".

#getridofdirecttrading
    #endthesenselessscamming
    #donttrustanyoneevenifitsyourmom

Yeah, I let my mom borrow my lepre one day in elite kraken isles, I haven't seen her since. She left me and my dad in real life as well, so I couldn't ask her for my lepre back in person. But hey, it's still my fault

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thekragle View Post
    Once again, another scam that occurred starting with "so I opened my trade window".

#getridofdirecttrading
    #endthesenselessscamming
    #donttrustanyoneevenifitsyourmom

Yeah, I let my mom borrow my lepre one day in elite kraken isles, I haven't seen her since. She left me and my dad in real life as well, so I couldn't ask her for my lepre back in person. But hey, it's still my fault
    So what are you suggesting? They get rid of trading? I don't think this is the problem as you have the confirm and also the warnings when the offer is changed.

I think the threat is rich players making noob accounts off completely different ips and emails. So if they get banned it doesnt matter. They still have their op account.where they transfer all their Ill gotten gains
    Last edited by macgreaze; 06-06-2018 at 04:12 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    104 Posts

So what are you suggesting? They get rid of trading?
    Well sorta, even Justg once said if he did a new game he would get rid of the direct trading option due to scamming and drama.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts

So what are you suggesting? They get rid of trading? I don't think this is the problem as you have the confirm and also the warnings when the offer is changed.

I think the threat is rich players making noob accounts off completely different ips and emails. So if they get banned it doesnt matter. They still have their op account.where they transfer all their Ill gotten gains
    STS ain't stupid. They can easily track his second account or even if he gifted/traded items to friend, finding him shouldn't be a problem for them.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

Well unfortunately they don't update you on scamming reports. I really hope he has been banned along with his main and all the expensive equipment. It is a real problem and is rightfully punished harshly with a ban.

Also for those of you saying posts like these are useless, I disagree. I read an old thread on here, I think it was called all about scams or something and listed the most common ones. It was really informative. Anyway, last week I get a pm from a guy selling a Malison egg (merch) for 70k. I go and check the auction and there was two eggs one at 100k and the other at 90k...Now i'm rusty on egg prices but I remembered reading that thread and learned about the perfectly legal "scam" of getting friends or alt accounts to put items in overpriced so you think you're getting a bargain. I have had people try this with unicorn food and other items as well. I might have fallen for it if I hadn't heard about it thanks to this forum.