Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Is this the end of scaled farming?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    738 Posts

I guess I should have read the rest of your post

AL: Rare (Rogue)/Common (Warrior)/Mythic (Sorcerer)

ELITE
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StompArtist View Post
    Good. The economy in PL has too much cash in already. Take it down.

Now all that is needed is a gold drain.
    Unless listing fees are made higher for high priced items, there won't be an end to the gold madness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixking View Post
    Grrr they answer drews question but not mine! That makes me mad,grrrrrrrrrrrr!
    Quote Originally Posted by Physiologic View Post
    We have leet lv 55-56 players dying at Plasma Pyramid...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengotengo View Post
    It's like someone gave me a bag of M&Ms, but there's a handful of candy-coated rabbit turds in the bag somewhere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    260 Posts

So, if the level cap items drop less frequently, the prices will go UP!?!?

Well, I won't like that!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

*sighs* Im confused. Does this mean that scaled farming is useless? I just made some new twinks for scaled farming. So from what I've read so far the drops im getting are now going to be worth less? This seems discouraging. I made a Sand Cave twink and a DF and FH twink last week. Now I hear about this. Why did they bring this over to PL anyways. I see MAYBE 1 benefit but WAY more cons. Basically my question is this, is scaled farming dead? Should I delete my farming twinks or are they still useful?

ELITE
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts

Scaled farming isn't dead.

It's just that it's easier to do.

So the pricing for such scaled items will tend to go down as more of them become available for people to buy/trade in game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixking View Post
    Grrr they answer drews question but not mine! That makes me mad,grrrrrrrrrrrr!
    Quote Originally Posted by Physiologic View Post
    We have leet lv 55-56 players dying at Plasma Pyramid...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengotengo View Post
    It's like someone gave me a bag of M&Ms, but there's a handful of candy-coated rabbit turds in the bag somewhere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by drewcapu:483762
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakespeare View Post
    Tell me if I am misunderstanding. thanks
    I don't think you're necessarily misunderstanding.

We have yet to see the full effects of this change in PL.

In the other thread, Glut and I tried to brainstorm all the possible ramifications.

There's definitely an economic result, but ultimately, I don't think it's the wealthy that will complain. In fact, I think the wealthy will continue to be wealthier and pull further away from those who aren't wealthy. Part of the beauty of scaled pinks used to be that someone new to the game had a chance of looting something pretty darn valuable as they were leveling up. That won't be the case anymore. Basically, end game gear at level cap levels will be all that will be "worth a lot" since it'll be the more difficult gear to obtain.

I've stated I can live with this change even if I don't like it. I'm just preparing for using that mute button a lot more often now when people starting out are begging more because they can't make any money.
    This.

It is the biggest reason why this should be reversed. It will lead to a massive wealth transfer to the already wealthy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Default not elitist

Quote Originally Posted by Snakespeare View Post
    Please correct me if I am reading you wrong, but this sounds like the wealthy players are displeased about losing their grip on the game's economy. I have always been in favor of a more equitable drop system. I'd favor anything that makes the outlandish prices in CS drop. What do people need all that gold for anyway? It's not like we're keeping score... or are we?

How does the elitist pseudo-economy we have in-game contribute to better game play? How does it spread the game? I think it doesn't. I think good gear should be attainable to all who make the effort. And I think the players who have been gouging the prices have nothing to complain about. They are rich enough already.

But I might be reading this wrong. Most of you are my friends, and you mostly know my leanings, so you probably aren't surprised to read my opinion. Tell me if I am misunderstanding. thanks
    I agree that elitists (both merchs and hardcore players) exist but a vast majority of us, twink because we enjoy a variety of play. It's not that fun to run FH, DF, swamps etc with an end game toon and if we can make a little money in the progress - great, even more incentive. I only have 2million and that will be nowhere near enough to buy end game gear. When I farmed, most of the looted pinks would be stock-piled and given away, either to cheer up a friend who hadn't seen a pink drop in days, surprise a new player, or sell in c.s. I'm getting ready to do just that since my inventory is getting out of control, but I may be more hesitant in the future to be like that as I'll still want the end game gear, and those prices will be atrocious.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonTider View Post
    And I should point out that it's the twink farmers whom have stuck with this game and gotten it to the level of popularity it is today.
    +1
    I created my other toons, because I enjoyed the game so much, I wanted to do it all over again with the hopes of improving my game play along with better equipment -- things I didn't know when I first started. This would be a good example for "customers" coming back. IMHO, repeat customers provide substantial revenue to STS as these are the people who actually are willing to purchase platinum (either for twinks or grinding). I would think that new customers would play for months for free (like myself) until they hit that certain point when they can truly say "I'm hooked". I didn't even register my first character until several months...

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby!!! View Post
    Sad sad sad

I loved having twinks for scaled farming - this should be over now. An organized L51 farming group now would be 4 L49s with AO2 gear running behind a L65 soloing maps - no need for fancy gear or smart builds anymore

But so true:
    Awww Ruby, and I thought you just wanted to match clothes... ;P
    Rasi: Grumpy old arcane mage (AL)
    Haowesie: Confused & oblivious bird (PL)
    Aestrella: Sexy insecure mage wannabe (PL)
    Drearasy: Crazy-eyed dex-bear (PL)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

I also wish they would reverse this decision. Unfortunately in my reading, I also became more disappointed, I had thought the lowered xp requirements were related to the negative feedback from the "non-casual" feel of nuris. I was really excited about this, and was actually coming on here to thank the devs for lowering the requirements and listening.

I didn't realize it was a short term thing, ah well. I guess I'll live it up while I can.
    Duped - Lvl 65 Mage
    Conanursan - Lvl 65 Bear
    Isniped - Lvl 65 Bird

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts

I think in the brainstorming people have done, it seems this change will mostly increase the cost of "desirable" equipment, generally the endgame and end-campaign sets. I've dropped 11 pinks in Mt Fang and all of them are L61-L63.

With xp the way it is right now, it might not matter as much as people basically use what they drop and keep leveling. However, for certain equips that are sets or customized at certain levels only, since the majority of the players in that area cannot drop those items anymore (various levels), only max levels and farmers who go to lower level campaigns will drop those items.

However, there is no way max level players + farmers = almost all players in a campaign. If players did not care about looking a certain way (sparkles, flames), then maybe this is a good change for the normal player. But looking around, there seems to be tremendous value placed in "looking" elite. So for those equips, the scarcity should go up, resulting in higher prices which, since those items generally are already the higher priced items, means the rich get richer.
    Last edited by Fyrce; 11-17-2011 at 08:42 AM.

Star light, star bright...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kallima View Post
    I agree that elitists (both merchs and hardcore players) exist but a vast majority of us, twink because we enjoy a variety of play. It's not that fun to run FH, DF, swamps etc with an end game toon and if we can make a little money in the progress - great, even more incentive. I only have 2million and that will be nowhere near enough to buy end game gear.
    THIS. For me, it was the combination of the fun of doing a low level dungeon the way it should be and the suspense before the drop--main reason for my DF activity . It was also building up a lovely kill death ratio, now nerfed as well. I think the closest analogy is fishing--it's not just netting that big fish, it's the combination of the actual activity, the environment, and then the chance of that big fish dropping. I wonder if it'll be just as thrilling when that fish isn't so prized.

I would have thought this kind of use of the game was good--people buy plat gear for their farming twinks, they buy elixirs so that their low level twinks can solo a hard dungeon, all sorts of plat generating activity. A good way of reusing old content, I thought, and also of encouraging a steady consumer base for in between new content. But I can see why STS has gone the route it has... and it isn't pretty.
    Uepauke
    PL mage (66) and SL engineer (25), also Loonybird (65) in PL and others
    Alterran Royal Guard and The Farmers' Collective

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

I hope theyre is no easy scaled farming for christmas campaign because then everyone would make games in which theyre is 1-3 lvl 10-20 and the some lvl 66 which would be horrible

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by maneatingtree View Post
    I hope theyre is no easy scaled farming for christmas campaign because then everyone would make games in which theyre is 1-3 lvl 10-20 and the some lvl 66 which would be horrible
    AARRRGGGGHHHH

I have no rational response to this ;_;
    Uepauke
    PL mage (66) and SL engineer (25), also Loonybird (65) in PL and others
    Alterran Royal Guard and The Farmers' Collective

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts

-.-

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts

The mobs do still scale to group levels -- so like your level 10 in a group with a level 14 in DF1 will be fighting harder mobs than if the level 10 was in a group of level 10s.

In the Xmas campaign, unless mob scaling is very different, there would still be some desire to run low levels with low levels, high levels w/ high levels. But yes, you can totally just low level leech a higher level's game.

Forum Adept
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts

Change it back please. I got 10 toons and now 8 of them have list there job. The unemployment rate was high enough sts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts

I have done a lot of scaled farming, and have a lot of twinks. This change wipes out the extra effort and sacrifice that we use to make some money farming useful items. Now, any casual player can get the same items.

Also, the reduced xp requirement means players level faster. This means there is no reason to spend a lot of gold on a level 25 set, or a voodoo set. The levels will be passed quickly, so cheap pinks and purples will be good enough. In the past, we would spend a lot of time at each level, so we would generate gold, and we would buy nice items to help get through the grind.

I predict that the market will change significantly since expensive/nice items are no longer desirable. With free daily elixirs and quick leveling, the nice items are only useful for level-locked player and pvp players.

Why would anyone pay 150k for a shock lance? Players will just pass through 45-50 quick with whatever cheap weapon they can find. I see these elite items are already much cheaper due to low demand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    530 Posts

Here's something I posted on another thread which I don't think should be taken too lightly:

"If you look very carefully you will notice that STS is trying to get rid of twinking. Don't believe me?

1. They started adding cap level bonuses. This will encourage people to level up and not twink. The bonuses are massive. Irresistable.

2. They ended pve twinking for kills. This made all those who were twinking for that reason have nothing left to do but to level up.

3. This next update. They are now removing the scale farmers. Scale farmers are now leveling up...or will be

What's next? Pvp twinking? I can't say for sure. But I can say this: I wouldn't be surprised. After all there are simple solutions to each and every problem presented, STS just doesn't seem to want twinks. I don't know why, but I've resolved to just trust the devs and go with it. Thank you for taking your time and reading this post."

~~~MightyMicah
    Last edited by MightyMicah; 11-19-2011 at 09:43 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

So i made a 51 farmer for nothin...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts

I'm not sure I would change for now, but if this stays till after the holidays, an L55 farmer might be better. End game and end campaign. But then you don't really need the twink, unless you just want to be close to the level of the campaign.