Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: No new guardians picked in a while?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WhoIsThis View Post
    Do we need more GoAs at this point? On one had, it's good that there are absolute standards ... on the other, to be honest, I am not very enthusiastic about the program. I don't think that it's aim of getting more useful posts on the forums has been accomplished. I agree with Physiologic's point that the program is better off scrapped altogether and the Guardians just senior members once again. It's not like the forums would suffer because of it.

The other is that the first 2-3 generations of GoAs were players that were outstanding. After that ... I get the overwhelming feeling that the quality of the GoAs declined with each generation. There were a few people that actively tried to get it (and it was pretty obvious) that did get it. Not gonna name names of course. The end result has been that the Guardian is no longer something worth striving for IMO.

In that sense, I'm glad the interest for this program has died down steadily.

Agreed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

Glut, siejo and whoisthis- and of course fooger.
    RIP Twinktastic

AEO is the way to go~now recruiting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    316 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WhoIsThis View Post
    Do we need more GoAs at this point? On one had, it's good that there are absolute standards ... on the other, to be honest, I am not very enthusiastic about the program. I don't think that it's aim of getting more useful posts on the forums has been accomplished. I agree with Physiologic's point that the program is better off scrapped altogether and the Guardians just senior members once again. It's not like the forums would suffer because of it.

The other is that the first 2-3 generations of GoAs were players that were outstanding. After that ... I get the overwhelming feeling that the quality of the GoAs declined with each generation. There were a few people that actively tried to get it (and it was pretty obvious) that did get it. Not gonna name names of course. The end result has been that the Guardian is no longer something worth striving for IMO.

In that sense, I'm glad the interest for this program has died down steadily.
    Many don't like it but oh well. If it is going to be around, might as well put the best names in the hat. Hasn't necessarily 'died down'. Just because there hasn't been too much attention lately to it is normal. And, don't be quick to say the quality died or the first few were the best. There have been bad Guardians and good, but that's life. It's not like the devs stalk your facebook to see if you're a good or bad person out of game. They also don't stalk your chat. Obviously. And until you have met and truly understood each and every guardian, there is no need to say that some weren't the best picks. Touche to myself, because I have not met every guardian. Just my two cents. Hope I wasn't flaming as it is 2 am in the morning.

-we

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WoundedEagle View Post
    Many don't like it but oh well. If it is going to be around, might as well put the best names in the hat. Hasn't necessarily 'died down'. Just because there hasn't been too much attention lately to it is normal. And, don't be quick to say the quality died or the first few were the best. There have been bad Guardians and good, but that's life. It's not like the devs stalk your facebook to see if you're a good or bad person out of game. They also don't stalk your chat. Obviously. And until you have met and truly understood each and every guardian, there is no need to say that some weren't the best picks. Touche to myself, because I have not met every guardian. Just my two cents. Hope I wasn't flaming as it is 2 am in the morning.

-we
    Lets just say I haven't linked my Facebook for a reason. I don't trust Facebook. My account was once hacked on Facebook and defaced. I don't know who, but the trace was somewhere from Asia. Since then, combined with the privacy concerns that I have, I have minimized my usage of Facebook.

The very fact that there have been "bad" guardians at all undermines the credibility of the entire program. It creates a strong impression that Guardians were not carefully selected, but rather, much more hastily done. It also dilutes the average quality of GoAs appointed as well. I think that the fact that fewer players today strive to become GoAs than before was because the quality of the GoA declined.

It sent a clear message that the GoA system was not a meritocracy. For that reason after I saw the first few generations, I decided that the GoA was not worth pursuing. When I first saw the GoA, I thought to myself that I would like to be equated to the forum greats at the time, Royce, Physiologic, and others that are still here (Parth, Ellyidol). After I saw the next few, I quickly realized that the quality of selection had diminished steadily and lost any desire to try.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I think the program is a good way to get people out there and helping and it's a great way to get to meet nice people, with that being said some people will only help for the reward of being an AoA and then lose all interest in it, so as long as they continue to be helpful I have no problem with it and welcome the next batch of them and hope to someday be part of the program

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts

Siejo and Gluttony, and Kahlua IMO
    L15 Mage - Certificates. L12 Behr - Certificate. L15 Teamer Mage - Duuq

THE DUUQS WILL RULE.

Tournament & Ladder Leader Silentarrow's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

Definitly Gluttony .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    315 Posts

Yes, i'm not saying the helpful people we have now aren't deserving.
    They obviously very well do deserve a reward for their incredible helping.

However, I do notice that we don't see any so complex analysis and guides, or lists made with hard work.
    It's true that the GoA are pretty much picked just to keep the community satisfied and don't compare as to what the original ones from the past were.
    And then, I wish to state an important point.
    You see, the quality of the help that comes from players is very much affected by the Devs.
    Everyone is focusing on getting THEMSELVES to the elite cap, and farming stuff, before the next update.
    In the time of Sewers, there was literally half a year to do this, and with such spare time, geniuses, genorosity, and outstanding GoAs emerge.
    But let's face it; PL has changed as much as we don't want it to.
    In the end, we can hope that our GoAs will continue to atleast have a helpful and generous reputation, of possible.

And what you say about bad guardians, I completely disagree.
    There is no such thing as a bad guardian. If one is picked as a guardian, that obviously means that they are good. However, some are announced, and just disappear from the forums and such. It makes them seem like they did this all for the title.
    I think what you mean is an unresponsible guardian, perhaps?
    That might be a better use of word.
    Last edited by Whirlzap; 11-27-2011 at 10:19 AM.

Guardian of Alterra CrimsonTider's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    904 Posts

The problrm is the decline of the forums. As mentioned plenty of times before, there has been a drastic decline in the quality of forum threads. Less informative, strategic posts and increased attempts at slandering and micro-managing. The rise of the AoA program has also thrown a wrench into everything.

The days of Royce, Physiologic, and on are fading as content is recycled. Skills have been maxed and PVE is ruled by elixirs. The only strategy is do you purchase plat this week or not. Take all of this into consideration with the mass exodus of some of the more recent GoA's and the "luster" of this program has been dulled.

This thread is a perfect example of the direction the forums have taken and why the qualityvof the GoA's are declining. Some of the names which have been mentioned I agree with completely, some I do not, and yet there are others I feel should be included. But thatvis the problem, too many opinions like these cause forum clutter and bring out the psuedo-helpers: The wanna-be's who care only about a shield and have done little to notbing to improve the community except for the occassional "email STS." I have the same issue with the AoA application process which everyone is aware of. When nomination/application threads are made, we always see a drastic increase in "helpfulness." When selections aren't made soon after that, the "helpfulness" declines and we see the true intentuons of those interested.

My opinion is to let it be. When STS deems it time to select another batch, then we will see a new announcement. If it is truly to be a prestigious honor, then it should not happen very often and we should all step aside during the "quiet" periods and work on bringing the forums and in game helpfulness to an all time high. Not worry about a shield which, like all things in this game, doesn't go with you when you take your final bow.
    CrimsonTider::Astuteness::Crim::CrimzonTider::IBec kon::Houndstooth
    WreckzNEffect::Intuitive::Kinesiology::Crimagical: :Killtastrophe::SsgtSlaughter::Transfixion
    Arrownaut::Crimtacular::Funkdified::CrimJr

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CrimsonTider For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    315 Posts

That's what I'm mad at. You have these new people gettting to the cap in a week. And then they just walk around in PvP with a vanity and a L65 Set, which is easy to farm with elixirs. The whole PvE system is now 100% based on elixirs.
    And to be honest, half these people who use elixirs STILL stay in the back and have no skills.
    Give me a 3x combo and I'll solo Crypt while pulling the monsters.
    Heck, I've met level 65 mages that don't Revive, and one that had a Mystery Helm on.
    And these mages don't heal others when they are damaged. In fact, they only heal themselves when damaged. Actually, every mage heals themselves these days, instead of looking at others HP bars. But with analysis, we can say that with elixirs, people barely get damaged too severely, and wil probably Regen their HP in seconds. 50 damage isn't much, because you're using a 4x armor pot.
    I've also met birds, DEX birds that sit in the back, BEHIND everyone and just shoot.
    THIS is what elixirs have done to the game. Now remember, the possible solution is to make elixirs for only levels 60-66, or the highest level campaign. That way, people from below would learn skills and then they would be able to use elixirs. Besides, 90% of all elixirs spammed are from high levels, since low levels are easy to level up and the mobs can be solo/party run without elixirs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlzap View Post
    However, I do notice that we don't see any so complex analysis and guides, or lists made with hard work.
    Thanks for the clarification Whirlzap but I'd hate for anyone to have the wrong expectations of what Guardians are. Whilst some might have been the creators of "complex analysis or guides", that clearly isn't the reason that ANY of them were given a GoA award.

The STS page (here) is very clear...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassric View Post
    How do I become a Guardian of Alterra? Guardians are selected by the staff of Spacetime Studios and have generally contributed to the play community in some or all of the following ways:

• Providing useful and constructive feedback to both players and Spacetime Studios developers.
    • Helping to keep the game forums clean and friendly by reporting inappropriate posts and attempting to diffuse arguments or flame wars.
    • Fostering community development through player run events, good will, etc.
    • Being visible, helpful, and constructive.
    It's very important everyone is very clear what is expected of GoAs and don't think they are something they aren't. Those four points are very clear. Also, be aware many of them never come on the forums so will never be visible here.

There is a considerable amount of activity away from the forums that most GoAs are involved in. In game, on supporting media channels (Facebook, Twitter and many other external websites) and very frequently, in direct communication with STS, that no one outside of STS ever sees. Those GoAs don't advertise this activity, they never asked or expected a GoA award and if the programme was to magically disappear tomorrow, nothing would change. Most are simply naturally helpful and constructive.

But the main point of this post is to remind people, the GoA award is simply just a thank you from STS. Nothing more. There are lots of threads that can be searched that cover the various aspects and views of the GoA award in great detail so I'd hate to derail the OP, but thought it important that expectations are reset.

Re: the OP, I'm thinking the GoA award will continue to be given by STS to individuals who consistently show high levels of constructive and supportive behaviour in all aspects of the community, not just the forums. Personally think there's no rush to give out more unless there is a clear candidate or more. The concerns about quality raised above are very valid IMHO. 100% agreed with what crimson has written two posts above.
    Last edited by Redbridge; 11-27-2011 at 11:10 AM.
    Use the SEARCH function or it'll probably be here--> PL stuff or SL stuff >>> I'm 'SRINGY 2' .
    ** Elf/Redbridge - Ursan/Scorpionious - Avian/Bolticus ** Eng/Redbridge - Op/Yoda **
    I am responisble for what I say. I am not responsible for what you understand

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    315 Posts

Yep, I'm aware of that.
    I'm just saying, back then, you would see so many amazing and outstanding achievements.
    That was the HARDCORE era. People were expected to do a lot more than now.

No, not expected. Wanted. People were wanting to do a lot more.
    I only wish we had some of those oldies back. They could refine the community again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

There are many really nice, helpful informative people in the realm and the forums, none of which I would say didn't deserve the honor.

That being said, I have always and will continue to support any who are honored with whichever tag they are given by STS or the community itself.

Have a great Sunday!
    -- Act and you will have dinner, do nothing and you will BE dinner - Gowron, Klingon High Council--

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Its already sunday? I thought it was saturday

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlzap View Post
    Yep, I'm aware of that.
    I'm just saying, back then, you would see so many amazing and outstanding achievements.
    That was the HARDCORE era. People were expected to do a lot more than now.

No, not expected. Wanted. People were wanting to do a lot more.
    I only wish we had some of those oldies back. They could refine the community again.
    Yep... Agreed (again two posts in a row. Lol)... The originals, really did set the bench mark and it would take someone very very special to match their contributions. It's very humbling when you think what that handful of players did originally and would be a very good time for some of them to return and add some much needed input to the community again.

I think my point was lots of the stuff GoAs do, and have done in the past, isn't the stuff everyone sees. It's difficult for STS to justify their choices against those 4 GoA requirements, and the community invariably will fill in the gaps and create this image that GoAs are some public, larger than life player who should be elite, something much different from what those 4 key points suggest.

It's a shame people don't understand the GoA programme better. I can think of 2-3 people who are more deserving than most of some recognition, but will never be considered because of their 'in ya face' and blunt approach. One of them in my eyes I'd gladly give my shield to for the immense contribution they have made to the community.
    Use the SEARCH function or it'll probably be here--> PL stuff or SL stuff >>> I'm 'SRINGY 2' .
    ** Elf/Redbridge - Ursan/Scorpionious - Avian/Bolticus ** Eng/Redbridge - Op/Yoda **
    I am responisble for what I say. I am not responsible for what you understand

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts

I think we've come to a consensus:

1. The forum has declined and the proportion of useful to non-useful posts is going down

2. The quality of GOAs and AOAs has declined

3. There are quite a few wannabes around, some of which do succeed

4. The original GOAs have made substantial contributions that are not easy to replicate

5. There appears to be a massive misunderstanding on what the GoA program is

6. Absolute standards are better than mandating a GoA or AoA monthly

7. There are plenty of people around that different people think are "deserving" that don't have it (and probably never will)

IMO, this is not a recipe for success at this point. First, the biggest point is the forums have declined and that throws a monkey wrench into everything.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

A small comment about the amount of useful post being on the decline:
    PL has been out for over a year now. Granted the game has changed quite a bit but honestly how many guide and lists can be made about a phone game without being redundant? Of course there will be less and less comprehensive guides this is simply because there are less and less subjects that have not been covered before.

Oh yeah... since they made me GoA I have no clue what the criteria is so don't ask. lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    380 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Redbridge View Post
    But the main point of this post is to remind people, the GoA award is simply just a thank you from STS. Nothing more.
    This.

Too many people have come to conclusion that GOA are some type of elite, gotta-be-in type of club and they idolize the GOA. They're simply regular players that have received a thanks from STS for their hard work. AoA on the other hand are regular players that STS is *asking* to help out the community.

The most confusing part for me is, does an AoA earn the ability to become GOA because of his helpfulness or is it not a rank-up type of thing since it is his *job* to help? Its funny, this is almost exactly like the "do I say thanks to a mage for revving me?" threads...

-------AEO-------

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonTider View Post
    This thread is a perfect example of the direction the forums have taken and why the qualityvof the GoA's are declining. Some of the names which have been mentioned I agree with completely, some I do not, and yet there are others I feel should be included. But thatvis the problem, too many opinions like these cause forum clutter and bring out the psuedo-helpers: The wanna-be's who care only about a shield and have done little to notbing to improve the community except for the occassional "email STS." I have the same issue with the AoA application process which everyone is aware of. When nomination/application threads are made, we always see a drastic increase in "helpfulness." When selections aren't made soon after that, the "helpfulness" declines and we see the true intentuons of those interested.
    Everyone should take a good hard look at this paragraph right here... I'm getting agitated with these "wanna-be's" and you can obviously tell and sort out who is who from the bunch. It's the honest truth and in my honest opinion the GoA should be handed down to someone who helps the community and wants to improve the community for the better and doesn't expect anything in return, but also doesn't get up and abandon his/her tittle for obvious reasons right after receiving.
    -Pocket Legends ~ DJMdivine - Level 74 Full Dex Bird.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to DJMdivine For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

The oldies would still be here if STS didn't screw them over time and time again. Man...this game and forum was sooo tight back in the good old days. I loved this game so much before....Now I have to empty all my skills to kill one mob...I mean seriously, this game is depressing without elixirs.

Edit: I disliked the goa programme since the start, it made everyone act unnatural on the forums, there is no excitement on these forums anymore. I also agree that the quality of guardians have decreased, not to sound mean or anything.

Edit edit: Also, this game is getting stale. I don't want to play in the same old scenery with mobs that I can cosplay on my bird/bear/mage. Hail AO3.
    Last edited by Slush; 11-29-2011 at 04:08 AM.
    SLUSHIE - PROUD MEMBER OF REVELATION

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slush For This Useful Post: