Thread: I need physics help!

Somewhere in the magical land of Texas :)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Default I need physics help!

For a physics project, I have to build either a catapult or a trebuchet (treb-yoo-shay). The dimensions are 5'x5' for the base, and the arm standing up cannot be taller than 10'. I was thinking of asking if we could build a Roman Onager, which is like a simple easy ballista. The goal is not only to build it, but we have to fire a water balloon 50feet to the "castle wall," a trifold board. You get three tries to hit the wall. You get points for how far it goes, but MAJOR deductions for passing the board. My question is, does anyone know of any instructions on building on, free on the internet. Or, if anyone has a simple catapult or trebuchet design it would be very helpful. I have no idea how this is going to work out. Please offer any help on ideas you can!

PL: Epicunicorns--Appllejuice--Unicornkills--Unicornseller--Unicorntwink--Spookyunicorn--Mortuis--Onehornofhate--Monokeros

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts

Two questions

Are you limited by certain materials?

Do you have woodworking tools at your disposal?

"Annie are you okay? Are you okay? Are you okay Annie?" - The King of Pop, Michael Jackson
    Down With the Rep

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

No I am not limited on wood or materials, and I have woodworking tools.

PL: Epicunicorns--Appllejuice--Unicornkills--Unicornseller--Unicorntwink--Spookyunicorn--Mortuis--Onehornofhate--Monokeros

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts

Alright lemme see if I can whip something up.

What degree of woodworking materials do u have on hand? Like a hammer and nail or more complex tools?

"Annie are you okay? Are you okay? Are you okay Annie?" - The King of Pop, Michael Jackson
    Down With the Rep

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

I believe a trebuchet would most likely destroy a water balloon during launch, and would more than likely overshoot the target. Those things can really fling stuff!

I think you are on the right track with the catapult idea. I built a very small-scale and extremely simple catapult in my high school physics class (ages ago), and it performed very well.

My best advice; keep it simple and do several trial-runs. The fewer moving parts, the less that can go wrong or break down. And consistency is the key to success. Also, keep the flight arc nice and low. The higher in the air the balloon goes, the steeper the angle of approach to the target and therefore the more difficult to hit.

What is your source of force? Rope/tension, counterweight, elastic bands, etc? Any other restrictions?

Happy building and good luck!

PL: Thequickone warrior, Torrenz archer, Faebronia enchantress/main
    SL: Thequickone commando, Torrenz operative, Faebronia engineer/main, Helpdesk <PiF> engineer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

I have anything possible...hammer, nails, screws, and we willmost likely use rope, with the Onager design.