Thread: More Impressive...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default More Impressive...

So I was curious on other players thoughts... what's more impressive to you. A player at max level (36) with all* quests complete with low deaths (say under 10) or a player with tons of kills say over 50k with no deaths but no quests complete?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    127 Posts

I'd say level 36 with low deaths and all quest complete, just an opinion though.

PL: Faoeskekie L76 Enchantress(0.5k/300k), Faouskekie L71 Bird, Faoiskekie L45 Bear, Tvrtle L50 Fox, Rhinasaurus L38 Rhino

SL: Bizilia L45 Engineer, DL: Faoeskekie L36 Vampire, AL: Faoeskekie L20 Mage

ELITE
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    143 Posts

I wouldn't put one over the other, some quests are difficult and may lead the player to their first death (Miner McGurk comes to mind), but they are all fairly easy and some just find them boring. In other words, the reason is the most important part of the story.

If a player as a 0/63 for quests then I assume they just don't like/never tried questing, but if they have a few done but not all completed and are at level cap and 0 deaths, then I'd lean more towards they are avoiding the harder quests to keep the kdr intact.
    Last edited by Gluttony; 11-30-2011 at 03:54 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Gluttony For This Useful Post:

ELITE
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts

I still do quests in PL since, well, I just always did them all.

In SL, I did them all on my beta toons but found them to be mehhhhh.

When I finally started my mains, I just didn't even bother doing quests at all.

I don't judge a player by anything they are wearing or what shows up on their profile. You can see if someone knows what they're doing, or are at least trying to do more than just full-auto, by how they play.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixking View Post
    Grrr they answer drews question but not mine! That makes me mad,grrrrrrrrrrrr!
    Quote Originally Posted by Physiologic View Post
    We have leet lv 55-56 players dying at Plasma Pyramid...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengotengo View Post
    It's like someone gave me a bag of M&Ms, but there's a handful of candy-coated rabbit turds in the bag somewhere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Better not forget that many of those (high level) players that have next to nothing quests completed may actually be actually alts. Arguably there are many mains, too, in SL now that haven't done the quests. And can you really blame them?

Like drewcapu there said, the players worth is best deemed during a run, not based on some stats or gear while they're standing in blackstar.

Other than that, the old quote goes "If you ain't dying, you ain't trying". (sorry, I don't know who to attribute those word to, but some pl player of old it was)

Going for a zero death count is a different game. The goal is very different from normal gaming, as are the requirements and methods. Yes, they're usually also very good players, but they are never only very good players.
    Last edited by Hullukko; 11-30-2011 at 05:05 PM.
    SoiledPants 41 eng, NoPants 41 op, PoofyPants 41 com, Hullukko (retired) 56 mage, NoPanties 21 vampire

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    122 Posts

In pve the skill of a player is measured by their speed. No matter what class u r, commando or operative. When you do a run in sy2 and an operative leads and you are trying your best to keep up, or when there is commando in sy5 who leads and charges ahead right into mobs and doesn't care about how many stims they r gonna use, then you can tell that the player is good.

Me personally, if there is no commando in sy5, i'd rather choose to take damage for the team and spam 200 stims instead of standing there being afraid of getting a death.

I can't give you an example in sl but those who play pl might know birds named Onebadazzbird and Slushie. If you do a run with them you will understand. Back in lvl 55 i used to run with them both a lot. Slush - the most versatile bird you will ever see, he always leads the team and there is no bear that can keep up. In maps that require rounds up and real crowd control skills he does a better job that any bear. Well guess what he has 4k deaths or so. Same with badazz, his skill is in his speed. While you r finishing one mob he is already tanking another. And remember that was lvl 55 where there were no combo elexirs and both of them r pure dex birds with bows.

Anyway yeah. Stats don't really matter unless it's really obvious like has 5k kills 3k deaths.
    It was fun while it lasted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I always like seeing people with a lot of kills, no matter how many deaths and all of the quest completed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Kills and deaths do not determine if a player is good or not. They are stat's that go along with your gradual progression in the game. If you have 0 deaths at level 36 you either do nothing but stand behind a good group of players who clear levels for you. Or you run with them and have a good engineer or a million stim's. Neither screams good player to me.

A good player will stick with a group when they wipe and explain how not to let that happen again. A good player will tell you how to use an ability to take advantage of it for the benefit of the group. A good player won't call you a noob because you don't have less than 10 deaths. A good player will help you in what ever way they can. Just because you're top of the leader board in a stat doesn't mean you're a good player. It just means you play a lot.

I'm not trying to hate on anyone in particular. I'm just saying accolades do not mean anything if you are not kind to your peers. And I am not claiming to be a good player. I know I've laid my share of criticism on others. But don't think you need to rush the leader boards, have 0 deaths or reach level 36 to have others respect you and have them think you know what you are doing.
    Facebones & Dethklock are proud members of Vengeance

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good stuff all thanks for the feedback! Have you seen any players with all quests complete and no deaths? Because no matter if you think quests are boring or stats dont matter, still having that accomplished has to be very impressive. Some of those boss fights can lead to a death or some of those barrels in shipyard can lead to a instant death also... or there's also the ultimate death - LAG

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dahitman View Post
    Good stuff all thanks for the feedback! Have you seen any players with all quests complete and no deaths? Because no matter if you think quests are boring or stats dont matter, still having that accomplished has to be very impressive. Some of those boss fights can lead to a death or some of those barrels in shipyard can lead to a instant death also... or there's also the ultimate death - LAG
    I have not. I don't really check others stats though. You may have created a new goal for some one though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Blind View Post
    In pve the skill of a player is measured by their speed. No matter what class u r, commando or operative. When you do a run in sy2 and an operative leads and you are trying your best to keep up, or when there is commando in sy5 who leads and charges ahead right into mobs and doesn't care about how many stims they r gonna use, then you can tell that the player is good.
    LoL, IMO a player who routinely charges into a mass of mobs and mashes stims is not a good player at all, but rather a complete idiot (sorry, kinda harsh). The good players are the ones who run levels without a single stim use and make good use of their teamates skills and attributes. Comms who group mobs and use their aoe's. Ops who target the healers first and wait until after the first heal to use their skills. Engineers who heal at the right times and don't just mash heals while the party is already completely healed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by krazii View Post
    Engineers who heal at the right times and don't just mash heals while the party is already completely healed.
    I'm not sure if you are aware but the engineers heal is done over time. So they kind of have to spam heals. As they can't instantly heal some one who is taking damage. I'd rather spam heals than spam revive's. This isn't PL.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fac3bon3s View Post
    I'm not sure if you are aware but the engineers heal is done over time. So they kind of have to spam heals. As they can't instantly heal some one who is taking damage. I'd rather spam heals than spam revive's. This isn't PL.
    I'm well aware that the eng main heal is heal over time. I'm trying to say that I see a lot of engineers just spam it instead of rotating it with transference. You don't have to mash it, but can wait until your party actually needs the heals, even on MF. Save's you mana too!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Custom Atomite set will take care of any mp regen you need. IMO the plasma gear is inferior to the custom atomite set. And if you want to spend 400k on recipes just to get a bit more armor and crit that is your choice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    94 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hullukko View Post
    "If you ain't dying, you ain't trying". (sorry, I don't know who to attribute those word to, but some pl player of old it was)
    players.
    i used it first i believe ( correct me if im wrong ) then it caught on i guess and used against me several times when i tried maintaining a good KD not that KD matters at all.