Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Click here to go to the first Dev post in this thread.   Thread: Officially been made redundant..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Samhayne View Post
    That sucks, Bodmaster Sorry to hear you've lost your job.

Long story short, I was laid off from the Dev Studio I was working at back in Jan of 2010. I got involved in doing contract Community Work which led to me meeting Gary Gattis (Spacetime CEO) at the 2010 Game Developer's Conference and I started doing contract work for them. Fast forward a year later and I was hired full time by Gary to the position I have now at Spacetime.

So, while I know it stings be laid off now, you are alive, kicking and the future is full of possibilities. Focus on the positive. Get out there and network. Volunteer or otherwise help out with something you're interested or passionate about and see what doors open up.
    Cheers Sam! Wow that was a pretty well turnout for meeting JustG under those circumstances, im sure that your work didn't go unnoticed then, and the hard work you show is astounding! He's lucky to have found you as you him.

Funny you should mention that, also been thinking about going down this route. Was advised to pop down to the local College or Uni and enquire about helping around as a volunteer helping foreigners (Meaning First Language not English) with computer skills etc, like a beginners course, and see if that leads to any openings. In my job I gained numerous qualifications, including Information, Advise and Guidance, and Preparing To Teach in the Lifelong Learning Sector (PTLLS) both in which will help me along this route if I do decide to.

As for Interest and Passion, its helping people, knowing that your guidance can better something no matter what. Another is Weight Training/Fitness, when in the course for PTLLS, I had to put together training materials (in which I had a night to come up with) for a quick Training lesson of your choice, I picked 'How to train at home, without having the luxury of going to the gym' After the session with people that do this for a living (10-15 of them to critique) I was surprised on the feedback given! Pretty much everyone there said I had a passion for this and could Teach/Train this subject for a career/living.

Thanks again guys, this is just what I was hoping to achieve on making this thread, you've all been great and given some awesome advise, that all will be taken into consideration moving forward!

Still trying to comprehend how 2k+ can die from Barrels O.o

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BodMaster View Post
    Thanks bro, born and raised in the UK, Wales
    Isn't Torchwood in Wales? Go get a job with them! You'll get to shoot aliens and stuff.

Seriously, tough, better to go out and start applying for jobs than sitting out waiting for the perfect job... Nothing worst than a 1 year hole on a resume.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to StompArtist For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StompArtist View Post
    Isn't Torchwood in Wales? Go get a job with them! You'll get to shoot aliens and stuff.

Seriously, tough, better to go out and start applying for jobs than sitting out waiting for the perfect job... Nothing worst than a 1 year hole on a resume.
    LOL! Yup pretty much up the road from em , Cardiff which is the capital. That water thing is pretty cool mind

Very true!!! Thanks bud, that's one thing I don't want on my C.V. after so long being employed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

First of all....nothing about you is redundant

Second of all...I'm sorry for all that's happened to you

Lastly, I agree with those who have already posted. I think you should take what you can get (for now) and work out the rest later. you never know, that job you just took "for now" could be the one that changes your life and helps you find your bliss. Money is important, we need it to survive, but your happiness is also important!

Good luck my friend...I'll be thinking about you!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jenniebeans View Post
    First of all....nothing about you is redundant

Second of all...I'm sorry for all that's happened to you

Lastly, I agree with those who have already posted. I think you should take what you can get (for now) and work out the rest later. you never know, that job you just took "for now" could be the one that changes your life and helps you find your bliss. Money is important, we need it to survive, but your happiness is also important!

Good luck my friend...I'll be thinking about you!
    Thanks for your kind words Sweets!

It has been a living nightmare but im dealing with it all the best that i can. I have a little redundancy money to keep me going for a while, but agree on it still counting. Think im gona just put myself out there, if i get the job and am not 110% on it then can always turn it down, should make for good practice when my 'dream job' arises

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts

I had posted my response to Bod in the morning while I was warming up my car for the drive to work. Ironically, about 9.5 hours later, after a busy day working my rear off and after having customers and co-workers alike tell me that I am very good at my job, my supervisor walked in, handed me a check and said I was terminated. Apparently it was against my companies non-written policies to use the sick / emergency / Vacation time I was given for family emergencies I had earlier in the year, then the bad luck of having my car break down, two days before and getting to work a half hour late due to the co-worker that picked me up that day sleeping through his alarm. Cruel fate I guess. Now, I too am facing an uncertain future with only enough money to survive for a month. I instantly started applying for jobs though, so hopefully something will work out.
    Last edited by Growwle; 12-02-2011 at 11:47 PM.
    Growwle - My guess is 1050

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Bod and Growwle,

I feel for both of you. Losing a job due to circumstances that are not under your control really stinks, especially when you have worked long and hard for an employer. Sometimes we need to be removed from a particular commitment in life so that we are available for the next better opportunity. This applies to jobs, to relationships, to whatever we may be invested in at a particular time in life. It can be easy for some of us to get comfortable in a job or relationship that is comfortable but not necessarily best for us.

I look back at my own life (I am 48 years old) and I can see how many times I lost a job or a relationship or a hobby that was important to me. I was engaged three times before I finally married the right woman, and I am so glad that I did not marry either of the first two gals. There were not bad choices, just not the best choice for a marriage partner for me. I was also not the best potential husband for either one of them. In my case, I had to give up good to get better. Then I had to lose better to get best. Now I am married to an awesome woman who is the perfect match for me.

Back to talking about jobs. I remember some of the jobs that I had when I was younger. They were transitional jobs that prepared me for my next job. They were good for a season, then it was time to move on to the next challenge. I have now been employed by a large aerospace company based in Seattle for 21 years. I work with fantastic, dedicated, fun people as part of a team providing retrofit solutions for our commercial airline customers. I am not getting rich, but I love my job and I am able to provide for my family. Life is good.

Yes, your current job situations stink. But you are now completely available for that next opportunity that may present itself sooner than you expect. So be watchful and ready. Better days are coming

Gary

9. The Following User Says Thank You to arqueroverde For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts

Thanks Gary, makes you look at it from a different perspective. Thats exactly what I am hoping to get from this its not going to be easy but im going to try, or die trying

Its been a while buddy, hoping you and your family are great and hows the little one doin? All good I hope

Quote Originally Posted by Growwle View Post
    I had posted my response to Bod in the morning while I was warming up my car for the drive to work. Ironically, about 9.5 hours later, after a busy day working my rear off and after having customers and co-workers alike tell me that I am very good at my job, my supervisor walked in, handed me a check and said I was terminated. Apparently it was against my companies non-written policies to use the sick / emergency / Vacation time I was given for family emergencies I had earlier in the year, then the bad luck of having my car break down, two days before and getting to work a half hour late due to the co-worker that picked me up that day sleeping through his alarm. Cruel fate I guess. Now, I too am facing an uncertain future with only enough money to survive for a month. I instantly started applying for jobs though, so hopefully something will work out.
    Sorry to hear this Growwle,

That is pretty messed up since it seemed you were content in that job, finding your feet so to speak. Thats a real shame buddy, but glad you are getting yourself out there already. Good luck