Thread: Protection

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Protection

So ive been screwing around with the skill protection, to me it doesnt seem to do a lot... is it actually woth spending your points on, if so how many? Your opinions and thoughts please c|:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    327 Posts

Welcome new member! I'm skeletonlord. Please if you haven't yet read the forum rules.

The skill "protection" requires the max number of skill points due to it needing to be helpful to other members of your party and is certainly worth spending the points you get.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    303 Posts

Protection does give a little bit of armor but this helps commandos alot when they need to tank.

Visit the SL Lore thread for more knowledge on the history behind SL! (Click me!)
    Visit the official Infinite Union Website to join the tribe, hang out, or chat in the forums!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by skeletonlord View Post
    Welcome new member! I'm skeletonlord. Please if you haven't yet read the forum rules.

The skill "protection" requires the max number of skill points due to it needing to be helpful to other members of your party and is certainly worth spending the points you get.
    >.< exactly what I wad going to say haha

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

Wat if we r doin 1 v 1???
    Or 3 v 1(rushers)
    u still think protection is better than force shield?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by saiyen:501666
    Wat if we r doin 1 v 1???
    Or 3 v 1(rushers)
    u still think protection is better than force shield?
    If u were doing 1 v 1 i would say have force shield at max (6) and protection at 4 it helps alot in a 1v1 battle

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThisGuy0502 View Post
    If u were doing 1 v 1 i would say have force shield at max (6) and protection at 4 it helps alot in a 1v1 battle
    okay thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThisGuy0502:501673

Doesn't just help in pvp, it also helps when your the only engi on the team
    http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb418/javier995/132ba71b.jpg
    When the sky falls, when it crumbles,
    we will stand tall, and face it all together.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

Lots of people don't like this. I stand by it because I'd rather have it than not have it. Plus if I take it off, I'd have even MORE free skill points.

AL Kar | PL/SL Karaai | DL/AL Karai | SL Karaii | AL Karwar | PL Squishybirdie | PL Gotnorange

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

people have varying opinions on this. at max level, +60 armor offers you 1 point decrease in damage received. This is for every attack that you take, auto, skill, and DOTs, and i've tested this. I can't find it's usefulness in PvE, there are always stims you can use. PvP is anther story. 1 damage for every attack adds up after a while. You decide if you want to spend the skill points on it, but you will need to spend all 6 if u want it to have any real effect. And you will probably want to have force shield too if you want to stand a chance against an op or com in PvP, whether it's 1v1 or 3v3.
    Last edited by LelouchX; 12-04-2011 at 02:05 PM.
    <Infinite Union> Eyeofnewt Engi - Eyesssniper Op - LelouchX Com ~ GinFiend
    *G+ Chat For STS Community**Newt's Engi Build*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LelouchX View Post
    people have varying opinions on this. at max level, +60 armor offers you 1 point decrease in damage received. This is for every attack that you take, auto, skill, and DOTs, and i've tested this. I can't find it's usefulness in PvE, there are always stims you can use. PvP is anther story. 1 damage for every attack adds up after a while. You decide if you want to spend the skill points on it, but you will need to spend all 6 if u want it to have any real effect. And you will probably want to have force shield too if you want to stand a chance against an op or com in PvP, whether it's 1v1 or 3v3.
    Why should i get force shield? Its gonna end up breaking anyways...
    Last edited by Luellasky; 12-06-2011 at 07:05 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by luellasky
    Why should i get force shield? Its gonna end up beaking anyways...
    u get force shield bcuz it helps alot... But if you dont have it at 6 then just dont have it at all. But anyways when u use force shield that extra 120 armor will suck in those first.. Lets say 5 hits maybe even more that gives you a big advantage cause u just wasted 3 skills of theirs and u only took about 75 dmg which u can say "nothing" cause your empathy would heal that. And when u use protection with an extra 40 armor( cause i like it at 4) it prevents your shield breaking as fast. So word of edvice get force shield and max it out
    Last edited by ThisGuy0502; 12-04-2011 at 09:17 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

For PVE no higher than 4 is all you need for Shield, unless you care about the armor and absorb. I don't honestly.

I only use it between fights or if I have no agro to raise my m/s. It's m/s is 2 at level 4 and above.

AL Kar | PL/SL Karaai | DL/AL Karai | SL Karaii | AL Karwar | PL Squishybirdie | PL Gotnorange

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThisGuy0502 View Post
    u get force shield bcuz it helps alot... But if you dont have it at 6 then just dont have it at all. But anyways when u use force shield that extra 120 armor will suck in those first.. Lets say 5 hits maybe even more that gives you a big advantage cause u just wasted 3 skills of theirs and u only took about 75 dmg which u can say "nothing" cause your empathy would heal that. And when u use protection with an extra 40 armor( cause i like it at 4) it prevents your shield breaking as fast. So word of edvice get force shield and max it out
    qft

Quote Originally Posted by bronislav84 View Post
    For PVE no higher than 4 is all you need for Shield, unless you care about the armor and absorb. I don't honestly.

I only use it between fights or if I have no agro to raise my m/s. It's m/s is 2 at level 4 and above.
    A waste in PvE imo, stims stims stims. In PvP, you will have the worst k/d without this and protection. utilize the buffs you have with this class.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

And I see it as a waste of stims over this skill. I'm not made of money, and I don't PVP.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

And I see it as a waste of stims over this skill. I'm not made of money, and I don't PVP.
    well, i tank with my engi because i don't like the com class, and i rarely buy stims. if you get force shield, max it out bc it will last longer. protection maxed out will just decrease your damage taken from every hit by 1, and that is nothing with what empathy does to heal you. i had this maxed before i respecced my build, to what i have posted on these forums, in slouch-o, and never noticed a difference in survival rate when i used it. force shield will give you mana regen (so you won't need stims as much) and increase your defense. If you aren't rushing mobs and trying to draw aggro like i do, you shouldn't need stims that often. i think i used about 10 stims before i started tanking in slouch-o. now i use 10 a night (on a bad night that is).

everyone is going to have different preferences with the wide variety of skills available to the engi. just offering my suggestions based on my experience, and i have used all skills available.
    Last edited by LelouchX; 12-08-2011 at 10:47 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

I don't PvP either but my engie can farm stims in SY5 so it doesn't have to be a question of money (in game or Plat). Go in with 5 of each stims for emergencies and come out with 15 or so, then repeat, then stash. you can also farm stims in SY2 while grinding but it goes much more slowly. Yes, I run low on mana during the runs but I kept my custom atomite gear for the +1 to m/s since I didn't go custom plasma tech (due to the expense, for the record). With the revive buff, that gets me to 4 m/s and I also have the Plat implant to get to 5 m/s. I can load out this set up in the middle of SY5 when I run low on mana and then switch back to higher damage or armor set up once I regen. Even without the Plat m/s implant, the +4 m/s should be enough to recover if you focus on healing rather than healing and damage for a mob or two.
    Last edited by Teddyache; 12-10-2011 at 01:46 PM.
    Infinite Union Officer:
    Firoth, engineer. Firothi, operative. Firothon, commando.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Teddyache For This Useful Post:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Teddyache View Post
    I don't PvP either but my engie can farm stims in SY5 so it doesn't have to be a question of money (in game or Plat). Go in with 5 of each stims for emergencies and come out with 15 or so, then repeat, then stash. you can also farm stims in SY2 while grinding but it goes much more slowly. Yes, I run low on mana during the runs but I kept my custom atomite gear for the +1 to m/s since I didn't go custom plasma tech (due to the expense, for the record). With the revive buff, that gets me to 4 m/s and I also have the Plat implant to get to 5 m/s. I can load out this set up in the middle of SY5 when I run low on mana and then switch back to higher damage or armor set up once I regen. Even without the Plat m/s implant, the +4 m/s should be enough to recover if you focus on healing rather than healing and damage for a mob or two.
    great advice! i'm too lazy for this (running to and fro stash), and i always forget to stock back up when i need to tank in SY5.

sidenote: fix up your sig "member"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

level 15 build please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk