Thread: Pure Strength Tank

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Pure Strength Tank

Hey guys I haven't played pocket legends in a long time and I am here for some advice. So I log on after who knows how long and I find a lovely founders helm and shield of gratitude in my stash. I think I know what I got them for after looking on the forums, but now I'm getting off topic. My main character is a Pure Str Tank Bear. I know going pure str is never a wise choice according to many, but back then I thought it was cool. I only wanted to tank so my hit% or DPS didn't really mean much to me. All I wanted was more health h/s and armor. Like I said all I want to do is tank. It has occurred to me that aggro usually goes to the person who has the most DPS or basically whoever is damaging them the most. So I'm wondering if I would be a better tank by raising my Dex so I output more damage therefore gaining more aggro.

What do you guys think? All I want to do is maintain aggro and keep them bunched up which is why I'm currently pure strength.
    "This has better graphics then real life!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    380 Posts

The only issue with a pure str bear and tanking is that most of your attacks will miss, and that includes your skills. Because of this, taunt and beckon will miss often as well, leading to you being ineffective simply because you can't even get the attention of the mobs then you surely won't be able to tank them properly.

A fix to this is add only enough dex to get your hit up to 100% then put the rest in str and continue to use your bear in the same manner you have been. I'm sure you'll notice a HUGE difference with the added dex.

-------AEO-------

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That is my main beef with the pure strength warrior. Logically a pure strength bear should be the best tank. You have pure int mages and dex birds. Both very viable builds. Not so for the bear. Right now, hybrid bear str/dex is the default build.

Something should be done in regards to the strength attribute or the hit percentage. My suggestion would be to include another passive ability Parry/counter where the enemies attack get blocked and countered with additional damage. This can be added to the dodge skill. That way, threat generation gets easier and a pure strength bear becomes more viable.

Your thoughts?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    624 Posts

Someone summarized it once very well... 'a pure str tank can't hit the ground he's standing on'

And for all doubters of my rockstar status:
    Quote Originally Posted by Justg View Post
    U rok, thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    380 Posts

The only viable option without overpowering the str attribute would be to add hit % to the thing that it increases.

You gotta remember though, other classes like to use str also, and in which case *their* character/build may become extremely overpowered.

-------AEO-------

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hey i dont know if this will help but i have a lvl 26 pure str tank bear and the hit is 83%, btw my set is conqueror`s crystalline set lvl 25. and i think this build is ok, it hits hard and you could tank like 5-10 mobs . yeah it does miss sometimes but only like 2/10 so its not bad, even some dex types miss. And i can kill faster than most mages and birds the same lvl as me or even 2-5 lvls higher, since it only takes 2 skills to take down the mobs(beckon and stomp). but thats just my opinion you know, you could try that or do some dex and just decide what you want. you could always respec it anyway, its only 2plats.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Rophael - lvl 66 Dex bear
    UrWrstNytmare - lvl 52 mage (farmer)
    RockyBearrboa - lvl 30 Str Bear
    ArrowToUranus - lvl 15 Twink Bird

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    380 Posts

Rophael, the argument is that a good tank needs to be able to effectively CC 100% of the time. If you have 83/100% for your hit, theres that 20% chance that your beckon or even all of your attacks will just completely miss, meaning you've let the team down, which, depending on the skill level of your party, could end in catastrophe.

-------AEO-------