Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
WhoisThis, thank you very much for a thread that I have never had the courage to post. I am looking at the benefits between playing a PC MMO vs a Mobile MMO like SL and PL. The reason why I continue to endorse STS instead of jumping onto WoW and other MMOs is that I still have faith that they can turn it around. Any reprieve on this would be incredibly welcome, as players are not used to spending this much money on games, especially MMOs.
Right now, I haven't seen any PC MMOs that have anything to offer that PL or SL doesn't.

Thoughts:

1. Most PC games tend to have more elaborate game mechanics. This can be a good and bad thing. Good thing in that it encourages variety. Bad in that certain combos require very hardcore playing and can cause more balance problems.

2. There are 2 distinct models for PC: F2P (which really aren't "Free"; typically you have to pay for stuff - not unlike PL, but I'd be careful; there are some questionable ones online) and P2P (typically a monthly fee like WoW)

3. Classes tend to be much more varied - again hinting at the problem in 1, although it can be an advantage too

4. So far, STS has been among the best dev teams in terms of responsiveness that I have seen among MMOs; surprisingly important for many reasons (bugs, balance, experience)

5. Most MMOs seem to suffer from the problems I hinted. Bad PUGs, unfriendly PvP experience, etc. FPS games are like that as well. Interestingly enough, the most welcoming games I have seen are generally indie multiplayer games.

I'd say for now, STS has one of the best MMOs around ... barring a further decline, it's well worth staying.